PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> 2017 AGM
> Titanic Yorkshire Links
> Burnby Lane Dig - Update
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  18th May - Thomas Cooke Optical   Instrument Maker from Allerthorpe    ** n.b. venue & date change

> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
History of Thornton
NB: This information is sourced from Bulmers 1892 directory.

THORNTON PARISH.

Wapentake of Harthill (Wilton Beacon Division)—County Council Electoral Division of Mel­bourne—Petty Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon—Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington—Bural Deanery of Pocklington—Archdeaconry of the East Riding—Diocese of
York

.
This parish comprises the townships of Thornton, Melbourne, and Storwood. The estimated extent of the first-named township is 2,500 acres, the rateable value £1,827, and the population in 1891 was 151. Lord Leconfield is sole owner of Thornton, glebe excepted, and lord of the manor. The soil and subsoil are sand, and the chief crops wheat, turnips, barley, oats, and seeds.
The village is small, and stands about a quarter-of-a-mile north of the Pocklington canal, and five miles south-south-west of that town, whereat is the nearest railway station. The church of St. Michael is a small ancient building of stone mixed with boulders and brick, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western turret, containing two bells. The chancel was restored in 1890 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at a cost of £400; and efforts are now being made to raise the necessary funds for the restoration of the nave, which will cost, it is estimated, about £700. There is a stained glass window in the chancel in memory of James Christie, who died in 1858, and a sepulchral slab in the floor inscribed to Eichd. Burton, A.B., vicar, who died January 16th, 1729. Above the chancel arch are the royal arms, with the date 1725. The registers date from 1633. The living is a discharged vicarage with Allerthorpe annexed, net yearly value £260, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. John James Irwin, D.D., of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Allerthorpe. There are 56 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1777 for land and a money payment. The tithe rent-charge of the united parishes is £266. There is a small school in the village, attended by about 20 children, under a certificated mistress.