Chapmangate Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
Waplington Manor - news references
Waplington became depopulated in medieval times. In 1185 the Allerthorpe manor had been granted by Richard de Moreville to the Knights Templars. Waplington was added by William son of Roger of Waplington and Simon the archer in 1250. Following the Knights Templars suppression of 1312, both manors were transferred to the knights hospitallers. Ownership becomes complex, but is well described in the Victoria County History. Following the dissolution, the manors fell into private possession. In 1587 it was let to Robert Meyers, and the Meyers family held it to 1723. Later in 1843, part of it came into the possessions of Robert Denison of Kilnwick, who is mentioned in these newspaper reports.