PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
> 2017 AGM
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1913 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON YAPHAM AND MELTONBY AND OUSETHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union town, and the head of a county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway, 198 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6 ¼  north-west from Market Weighton, 27 north­west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the Wapentake of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional division, rural deanery of Pocklington, arch­deaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York.
Under the provision of the " Local Government Act, 1894 " (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by
an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted under the " Public Health Act, 1875," by Local Goveinment Board Older No. 29,872, dated July ist, 1893.
On Oct. 1st, 1901, by Local Governnunt Board Order No. 42,567, part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.
The town is lighted with gas from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works 1 mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklingbon Water Works Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a consider­able stream, rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of «tone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel,
with  north chapel,  clerestoried  nave,   aisles,   transepts and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells, but traces of the Norman church still exist: there are eleven stained windows: the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy; and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: the font consists of a square basin of fos­silized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. oh. 1589 ; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594 ; and a third "to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his; wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross. c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard: on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which translated reads:—
" Here Paulinus preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of "theCrucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and. well preserved: close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwald, last prioress of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150: the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, s!o constituted in 1252, with the chapelry of Yapham and Meltonby annexed, net yearly value £212, including 29ac. 1r. 27p. of glebe, with resi­dence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Arthur Thomas Fisher B.A., of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.
The Catholic church, in London street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse: there are five stained windows, one of which was presented by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk : an organ gallery, the gift of the late Mrs. Thompson, of Pocklington, was erected in 1907: the church affords sittings for 120 persons, and attached is a residence for the priest.
The Congregational chapel in Chapmangate, erected in 1807, has an endowment of £60 yearly, bestowed by John Jackson, d. 1874, and will seat 350 persons; there are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The Burial Ground, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 43. ir. lop. and has two small chapels, one for the Church of England and the other for Dissenters; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial board.
The Police Court and Station, erected in 1899-1900. at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magis­trates' room, a witnesses' waiting room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.
Victoria Hall, in Chapmangate, is let for public meet­ings and lectures, and will hold 450 persons.
The building originally erected in 1880 for the pur­poses of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington, is at present occupied as. a private residence.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of the late Queen Victoria
The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope, aad twine making and brick making; there are agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neiglf several corn mills. The market is held every Saturday. There are four fairs nominally held here annually—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November; on the 8th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and the auction is held every alternate Monday.
Most of the charities left by Henry Powell (1895), Mrs. Isabella Moor, Mrs Ann Blackwell (1732), Robert Chapman (1718), Dr. Henry Watkinson, Mr. John Moor, William Westoby, John Seymour and John Cole, are for the time being lost.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the North Eastern Railway Co.: the canal, made under the provisions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.
Basil Duncombe esq. of Kilnwick Percy, is lord of the manor and lay rector and principal landowner, and holds a court leet, baron and copyhold court: there are also a large number of small freeholders.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousethorpe. The township and Urban District of Pocklington contains 2,616 acres of land, including 75 acres taken over from Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water; rateable value, £12,158; the population in 1911 was 2,556, including 5 officers and 62 inmates in the workhouse, and in the ecclesiastical parish, 2,757.

Verger, Frederick E. N. Todd, 5 Regent street.

OUSETHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½  miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rect­angular moated enclosure. The rectorial tithe rent-charge, amounting to £52, and the agistment tithe rent-charge of £19, belong to the Ecclesiastical Com­missioners. The vicarial tithe rent-charge of £4 is payable to the vicar of Pocklington. Most of the land is the property of Mrs. A. B. Lamb, of Harrogate. The area is 333 acres; rateable value, £413; the population in 1911 was 17. Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, arrive at 8.15 a.m.   There is no Letter Box.   Pocklington, a mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and  township, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building,, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and restored about 1904, at a cost of £400, and has 100 sittings. The great or rectorial tithe, amounting to-£365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and-under an instrument of apportionment, dated 12 June, 1844, a sum of £204 18s. 9d. has been assigned to the benefice of Pocklington, and the rest retained by th& Commissioners towards the payment of a curate. The glebe land here amounts to 29a. 1r, 27 perches, and £10 a year, given by a former dean of York, also-belongs to the benefice. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure-in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commissioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to-the school. W. D. Petch esq. of Smylet Hall, and Mrs. F. Pearson, of Pocklington, are the principal land­owners : 3s. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive-various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 4s. yearly is also received out of afarm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,888 ; rateable value, £2,354; the popula­tion in 1911 was 229.
Sexton, John Johnson.
Letter Box cleared at 2.30 p.m
Letters  are delivered at Yapham from Pocklington at 9.15 a.m. & at Meltonby at 9.45 a.m. & collected by postman at 2.45 p.m. Pocklington,  2 ½  miles distant, is the nearest telegraph & money order office
Church   of England School (mixed), Yapham-cum-Meltonby, erected in 1883, for 40 children; average attendance, 34; Mrs. Rebecca Thompson, head mis­tress ; Miss Mary Todd, assistant mistress; William Askwith, correspondent

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. O., T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office, Railway street.—David Simpson, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.15 a.m. & 3.25 & 5.40 p.m.; delivery commences at 8 a.m. & 3.40 & 6 p.m.; dispatched at 10.35 a.m. & i, 5 & 8.10 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.; Sundays, arrive 7 a.m.; delivery com­mences 8 a.m

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meeting day, ist friday each month 7 p.m. October to April & 8 p.m. May to September, at Clerk's offices, Railway street.
Chairman, Henry Sydney Powell. Vice-Chairman, Frederick Smith J.P.
Retire in April, 1913. Henry Sydney Powell I Robert Todd Frederick Smith J.P              |
Retire in April, 1914.
John Thomas Everingham   I Robert William Newbald George Henry Fowler j
Retire in April, 1915.
John Edmondson Brook James William Laister
Christopher Procter
Officers.
Clerk, Alfred Snmmerson, Railway street Treasurer, Tom S. Suddaby, Beckett & Co.'i Bank Medical  Officer of Health,  Alex.   Ferrier  Angus  Fair-
weather M.B., G.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green Sanitary Inspector, Surveyor & Rate Collector, Joseph Butterworth, Chapmanpate

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

Calverley-Rudstone Trevor Wheler esq. D.L. Allerthorpe hall, Pocklington, York, chairman Bardwell Thomas Newman Frederick esq. M.A., S.C.L., D.L. Bolton hall, Wilberfoss, York
Cliff Walter esq. Melbourne hall, York
English  Richard Massey esq.  Lyndhurst,  Pocklington, York
Harrison William Mountain esq. Burtonfields, Stamford Bridge, York
Herbert   Edward Arthur Field Whittell esq. Upper Helmsley hall, York
Morris Rev. Mannaduke Charles Frederick B.C.L. Tan-y-Fron, Weiford, Welshpool, N. Wales
Smith Frederick esq. Red house, Pocklington, York
Wellesley Cecil George esq. The Grange, Warter, York
Wood Hon Edward Frederick Lindley, Garrowby Hall,. Bishop Wilton, York
The Chairmen, for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magis­trates
Clerk to  the Magistrates, Thomas Robson, Waterloo-buildings
Petty   Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month (except October), at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
Tho following places are included in the petty sessional division :—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Bnrnby, High & Low Cation. Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby, Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale. Melbourne, Millinpton, Newton-npon-Derwent, Nun-burnholme, Onsethorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-npon-Der-went, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington. Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.

The townships in the District are the same as in the Union, with the exception of Pocklington. Council meets at the Guardians' Board room fortnightly, on Mondays, at 2.30 p.m. Chairman, George Cobb, Cleaving grange, Londesboro'
Officials.
Clerk, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Treasurer, Wm. I. Allison, Barclay & Company's Bank

Medical   Officer   of  Health,   Alexander   Ferrier   Angus
Fairweather M.B., C.M.Aberd.-Faircote, West Green,
Pocklington Sanitary Inspectors & Surveyors, No.  i District, J.  R.
Greenshaw,    Warier;    No.   a   District,    George    W.
Mitchell, 2 Prospect place, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON UNION.

Board day, every alternate monday, at the Board room, at 1.30 p.m.
Pocklington union comprises the following places:—Aller-thorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, Catton vHigh), Catton (Low), Cliffe (North), Cliffe (South), Cottingwith (East), Everingham, Fangfoss, Friday -thorpe,Full Sutton.Givendale (Great)-with Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, EUnwiok Percy, Kirby Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough-with-Easthorpe, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunbumholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Sancton-witlh-Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge (East), Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thomton, Thorpe-le-Street, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe. The area of the union is 110,638 acres; rateable value at Lady Day, 1912, £117,240; the population in 1911 was 13,833.
Chairman   of   the   Board Clerk to the of    Guardians,   T.   G.   Lyon, Market Weighton
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thos. Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington
Treasurer, William Illingworth Allison, Barclay & Com­pany's Bank
Relieving   & Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor for the Union, Walter Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pocklington
Medical    Officers & Public Vaccinators:—Pocklington Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Alexander Ferrier Angus Fair-weather M.B., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green, Pocklington; Stamford Bridge district, Win. Harrison Woodburn B.A.Camb., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.O.P.Lond. Longlands, East Stamford Bridge; Market Weighton Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Richard Hamilton Ashwin M.D. Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, Charles Antony Lower L.S.A., L.M.S.S.A. Elvington, near York; Huggate district, Seth Tinsley L.R.F.P.S Glas. Wetwang, York
The Union Workhouse, situated on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in 1852, at a cost of £1,608, on a site purchased for .£360, it was enlarged in 1896, at a cost of .£6,237, & will hold 113 inmates ; in 1878 a hospital was added, for 30 patients ; John Nicholson, master; Rev. Arthur T. Fisher B.A. hon. chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.B., C.M. medical officer; Mrs. Jane Nicholson, matron

Pocklington Registration District.

Superintendent Registrar, Henry Sydney Powell, Water­loo buildings, Regent street, Pocklington; deputy, William Coupland, Rosewalden, Barmby road, Pock­lington

Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, Walter Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pocklington; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pocklington; East Stamford Bridge sub-district, Geo. William Etherington, Wilberfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, Miss Annie Roantree, High st. Market Weighton; deputy, George Sissons, Market Weighton

Registrar  of Marriages, Fred Lee, 59 Market place, Pocklington; deputy, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate, Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Burial Ground, West Green, Alfred Summerson, clerk, Railway street
Central Hall, Peter's square, Fred Lee, proprietor
County Court; office, 5 Railway street; office hours, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on Wednesdays, -when it is closed at 1 p.m.; His Honor B. Fossett Lock, judge; John Thomas Sargent, registrar & high bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magis­trates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Button, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Barswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market
Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Der-went, Nunburnhohne, Onsthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent,. Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby & Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Donald Sween Mackay, Red house, Duncombe place, York, official receiver

Certified Bailiffs appointed under the " Law of Distress Amendment Act," Richard Massey English, Market street; Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate; John Joseph Eempley & Samuel Sharp, Market Weighton

County Police Office, Great George street; Joseph Crisp, superintendent, one sergeant & one constable; also-one inspector, one sergeant & one constable at Market Weighton & g constables stationed in the various-villages around

Customs & Excise Office, 12 Burnby lane; Francis Wm. Gray

Fire Brigade, Railway street, Joseph Butterworth, capt. & sec

Public Weighing Machine, Market street; R. M. English & Son, proprietors

Victoria Hall, Chapmangate, W. & C. Forth, lessees-

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

5th Battalion, Alexandra.Princess of Wales's Own (York­shire Regiment) (Detachment of A Co.), attached to-Market Weighton, Capt. G. J. Scott, commanding

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Assessors of Income Tax, William Francis Hill, 2Chap­mangate & Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Poor's Rates, Joseph Butterworth, Chapmangate
Assistant Overseer for Yapham-with-Meltonby, William. Askwith, Meltonby
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Alexander Ferrier A. Fair-weather M.B., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale, John Thomas Sargent, 5 Railway street
National Insurance Act, Unemployment Section, Henry-Sydney Powell, local agent, Regent street
Stamp Distributor, David Simpson, Railway street
Steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Thomas Robson,. Waterloo buildings
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, R. J. Hicks, Market Weighton

PLACES  OF WORSHIP, with times of  Services.

All   Saints' Church, Rev. Arthur Thomas Fisher B.A. vicar; Rev. John Ooates, curate; 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily at 4.30 p.m. in winter & 6 p.m. in* summer
SS. Mary & Joseph, Catholic, London street, Rev. John McCabe, priest; 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.; daily, 8.30 a.m
Congregational,   Rev. John Brierley; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m
Primitive Methodist, Rev. H. Percival Fell, superinten­dent & Rev. William Armstrong; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon. & thurs. 7.15 p.m.; fri. 7.45 p.m
Wesleyan Methodist, Rev. Harvey Field, superintendent; Rev. Albert Woolley & Rev. W. Angelo Helm; Rev. Thomas J. Macartney, supernumerary; 10.30 a.m. &.• 6 p.m.; mon. & tues. 7 p.m

SCHOOLS.

The   Endowed Grammar School, on West Green, was-originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cock­ing bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved: the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th. year of Henry VHI. (24th May, 1514); & when sub­sequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master &. Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridgs, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the-school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the K Corporation of Mas­ter & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pock­lington." Attached to or connected with the school bt& the following scholarships & exhibition

1. Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yewly & tenable tor 4 years at St. John's College, Cambridge;
2, the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school;
3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly & tenable for 4 years at any university, fare similarly open;
4, three County Council scholarship of £6o yearly each, tenable for 2years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at the Leeds University, Leeds, Firth College, Sheffield, Owens College, Man­chester, the Eoyal College of Science, South Kensing­ton, or any other college or university approved by the Oonnty Council;
5, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific or professional training
The following are tenable only ~at the school:—
1, Eight local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £7 10s. ;
2, foundation scholarships for boarders, of £20 each yearly, awarded by examination;
3, ten house scholarships, five senior & five junior, of £20 each yearly;
4, a limited number of entrance Scholar-ships at £20 each & of exhibitions of £15
The revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amount to about £800 a year. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, succeeded in consider­ably augmenting the income of the achool, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Qruggen M.A.: in 1873 the Endowed Schools Com­missioners completely -re-organized tie management of the schools & transferred the patronage frorn St. John's College to a governing body of 12members; T. W. Calverley-Rudston esq. D.L., J.P. of Allerthorpe Hall, chairman; Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings, clerk to the governors. During 1890-91, a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addition of a new wing, at a cost of about £6,000; there are now (1913) two boarding houses, & about 60 boys? head master, George Hayden Keeton M.A.Camb.; and master, William Jones Thomas M.A.Oxon (science); assistants, Christopher Geoffrey Stansbury M.A. (french), William James Perry M.A. (mathematics), Raymond Whitworth Hutchinson M.A. (english) & John Lambert Brown A.B.D.S. (drawing)

Public Elementary Schools. School Attendance Officer, James Edward Green, Holmlea, Yapham road
County Council, opened in February, 1908, an additional class room added in  1910, built  at  a  cost of about £3,000, for 290 scholars, including infants average attendance, 147 mixed & 80 infants:  William Lamb, master; Miss Amy Allanson, infants' mistress
Church  of England, New street (mixed & infants), erected, with house for the master, in 1854, at a cost of upwards of £1,444, including the value of the site, presented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners & the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur: Duncombe: the school will hold 159 boys & girls & 80 infants ; average attendance, 150 boys &girls & 56 infants; Atkinson Skinner, master ; Miss H. McConkey, infants' mistress
Catholic, London street (mixed), erected in 1877, for 65 children; average attendance, 30; Miss H. Mc­Carthy, mistress

NEWSPAPER

Howdenshire Chronicle & Pocklington Weekly News, 51 Market place, John Whjtehead, publisher; published sat
Railway Station, West Green, John Britton, master

CARRIERS to:

Barmby-on-the-Moor—-Septimus   Allison,   from   ' Black Bull,’ sat. & alternate mon
Bishop Wilton—Thomas Hardwick, from ' Three Horse Shoes,' sat. & William Wales, from ' The Feathers,' sat
Everingham—Richard  Nicholson,  from ‘Buck,' sat. & alternate mon
Goodmanham—John Bean, from the ' Buck,1 sat Holme-on-Spalding   Moor—Robinson,   from  the   'Black Bull,' on sat
Huggate—John    Henry    Cooper,    from   'Three   Horse Shoes,' sat
Kirby Underdale—William Bayston, from 'Three Horse Shoes,' alternate mon Market   Weighton & Goodmanham—John   Bean,   from ' Buck,' sat
Melbourne—John Kidd, from 'Black Bull,' sat
Millington—John B. Oxtoby, from 'Black Swan,' daily;
William Thomas, ' Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Newbald—W. Jefferson, from ' Buck,' sat
Nunburnholme—Thomas     Frearr     from     ' Oddfellows Arms,' sat
Seaton Boss—William Chapman, from ' Black Bull,' cat
Thornton—John Hesslewood, from * Black Bull,' sat
Warter—Robert  Stephenson,   from  ' Buck,'   sat.;   John Slater, from ' Black Bull,' tues. fri. & sat York—John Robert Bell, from his house in 31 Union st. thurs. & sat

PRIVATE  RESIDENTS.

Allison John, -6 Prospect place
Armstrong   Rev.   William   (Primitive Methodist), 7 Richmond terrace
Barr James S. Regent street
Baxter John, Rudstone ho. Barmby rd
Beal John James, Ivydene, Percy rd
Beal Misses, Beech house, Percy road
Blythe Miss, 13 Union street
Brown John Lambert A.R.D.S. (assistant master Grammar school), West Green
Boyden John  Augustus -Charles,   St. Norberts, Percy road
Brierley Bev. John (Congregational), 47 Chapmangate
Brown Mrs. Darlington vil.Barmby rd
Butterworth Joseph,  Chapmangate
Cattle Hy. Ward, Panel ho. Percy rd
Cattle Mrs. James, Sunnyside, Railway street
Cattle William W. York view
Coates Rev. John (curate), 11Bruns­wick place
Cooper Mrs. 9 York view
Cundall Thomas Bowser, 5 Market st
Curtis Mrs. Elmhurst, Chapmangate
Day Mrs. John, New street
Duggleby Thomas, 86 Chapmangate
English Richd. Massey J.P. Lyndhurst
English Thomas, The Mile farm
Everingham John Thomas, villa, Barmby road
Everingham Wycliffe G. 2 York view
Fairweather Alexander Ferrer Angus M.B.,  CM.
Faircote,  West  Green
Farrah John, Fern Lea, Percy road
Fell Rev.  Harry Percival  (PrimitiveMethodist), Bourne house, Union st
Field Rev. Harvey (Wesleyan Metho­dist), 37 Chapmangate
Fisher   Bev.   Arthur   Thomas   B-A. (vicar), The Vicarage, The Grove
Flintoff   Charles   Ashley,    Wainflete house, Union street
Forth Charles, 42 New street
Foster Mrs. 31 Great George street
Foster Mr. G. Wells ho. Burnby la
Fowler Geo.Hy. The Briars.Burnby la
Fowler Mark, Derwent ho.Chapmangt
Fowler Thomas, Field view, Percy rd
Gardam Miss, Myrtle gro.Chapmangte
Gautry Frank, 23 The Grove
Gilson Percy, Garth ho. Garths End
Gilson Reginald Thomas, Canton villa, Garths End
Gilyead James Wm. 44 New street
Goddard William Bailey,  St.  John's lodge, Barmby road
Grant T. Cliffe, Powisland, Union st
Harrison Mansfield, Brunswick house, Brunswick place
Haw    George    William,    Millington villas, Barmby road
Hayward Charles Tomlinion, 29 Great George street
Helm Rev. William Angelo (Wesleyan Methodist), 84 Chapmangate
Hutchinson Raymond Whitworth M.A. (assistant master), Grammar school
Jackson Alfred William, 30 Union st
Jebson Mrs. 53 Chapmangate
Jebson William Henry, Wilton house
Jennings Mrs 49 Chapmangate
Keenleyside   Bev.   Bobert- (Wesleyan Methodist), North view, Barmby rd
Keeton Geo. Haydon M.A. (principal), Grammar school, West Green
Laister James William, 21 The Grove
Laister Mrs. 24 Great George street
Lamb Wm. Hill crest, Yapham road
Lee Fred, 40 Market place
Lee John, Carlton house, Percy road
McCabe Rev. Jn. (Catholic),London st
MacCartney    Bev.    Thomas    James (Wes, Meth.), Ailsa, Percy road
Marshall Frederick William, Sherbutt house, Yapham road
Nunns George Arthur, 38 New street
Oliver Arth.Jn.Thurnby vil.GarthsEnd
Pearson Fredk. Beechwood, The Grove
Perry William James M.A. (assistant mstr.), Grammar school,West Green
Powell Henry Sydney, The Bungalow, Burnby lane
Precious Mrs. 14 Burnby lane
Richardson Mrs. Myrtle grove
Richardson Mrs. J. 32 New street
Richardson Mrs. M. 36 New street
Robson Thos. Pembroke. lo.Chapmangte
Robson   William    Jackson,   Prospect house, Chapmangate
Sargent Jn. Thos. Grove ho.The Grove
Scaife Francis, Neswick villa
Scott George Jefferson, 44 Market pl
Scott Mrs, Pexton hause, Percy road
Shipley Joseph, Tyne villa.Garths End
Silburn Henry, 21 Market street
Skinner Atkinson, Wold, View, Yap­ham road
Smith Daniel, Ashfield, Canal lane
Smith Fredk. J.P. Bed ho.Yapham rd
Smith Mrs.  15 Union street
Smitb Mrs. M. A.  17 Regent street
Smithson Thomas   Herbert,   Dolman house, West Green
Stanssbury Christopher Geoffrey M.A. (assistant master),Grammar sohool, West Green
Steels Mrs. E. E. Globe ho.Market pl
Steels Joseph, Linden vil. Garths End
Stewart Miss, 4 Prospect place
Stewart Percy M., B.A. Ivy hall
Suddaby Tom S. 31 Market place
Summerson Alfred , Wilberforce house, West   Green
Snmmerson Miss, Percy road
Swallow Mrs. 51  Chapmangate
Thirsk Thomas Spruce, The Groves, West Green
Thomas William Jones M.A.  (second master  at  Grammar  school),  Wilberforce lodge, West Green
Tinson Misses, 40 New street
Todd George, Sherbutt house, Chap­mangate
Todd Mrs. 55 Chapmangate
Toder Miss,  3 York view
Tonge-Smith      Winckworth      M.D., D.P.H.  22 Great George street
Warters Jas. Myrtle villa, Garths End
Wilkinson Miss, Catton vil.Barmbj rd
Wilson Wm. Millmgton vil. Barmby rd
Wood Miss, Avenue bouse, Percy rd
Woolley Rev.Albert (Wesleyan Metho­dist), 39 Chapmangate
Young Robt. Richmond,Chapmangate

COMMERCIAL

Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m. for all businesses & professions, except hair dressers, -whose day is Thurs.
Allison   Joseph   &   Sons,   builders,   builders'   merchants &c. 22 Regent street
Anglo-American   Oil  Co.  Limited   (Christopher  Procter, agent); depot, 18 Market place
Appleby Alfd. marine store dlr. Union st. & Waterloo sq
Askham Walter H. New Red Lion P.H. New pavement
Atkinson Hannah (Mrs.), apartments, 5 Union street
Bailey Charles,   artificial  teeth  manufacturer;   attends on Saturdays, 15 Market street Barclay & Company Limited (branch) (George Jefferson Scott, manager);  open daily 10 to 3, weds.   10 to 1, sats. 10 to 5, 42 Market place; draw on head office, 54 Lombard street, London E C
Barker Geo. Hy. boot ma. & shopkpr. 20 Chapmangate
Barlow Walter, chemist & druggist, 54 Market place
Barnes George, farmer, Toft house
Barnes John Robert, butcher, Waterloo lane
Baxter John, tailor, 2 Market street
Beckett & Co. York & East Riding Bank (branch) (Tom S.  Suddaby, manager),  31  Market place;   open daily 10 to 3, wed.  10 to 1, sat.   10 to 5 ;   draw on Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. London E C
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house, London st
Bell Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper, 7 New street
Bell John Robert, carrier, 31 Union street
Bergman   Lewis   Hansell,   dentist   (attends   by   appoint­ment), ro Great George street
Botwood Charles Walker D.D.S., D.Se. dentist (attends monday, thursday & Saturday), Dean's lane
Boyden John Augustus Charles, chemist & druggist, 29 Market place
Brabiner William, greengrocer, 9 New pavement
Braithwaite William, boot maker, South parade
Britton John, "station master & goods agent, Railway station, West Green
Brook John Edmondson, plumber, 16 New pavement
Broughton Frederick Charles, butcher, 10 Market street
Broumpton John Ullyott, farmer, Clayfield farm
Brown Joseph Hill, coal agent, Railway station
Browne Ernest E. & Co. grocers, 2 Market place
Burdett Amelia (Mrs.), grocer, 30 Chapmangate
Burial Ground (Alfred Summerson, clerk), West Green
Burkitt William, baker, 28 Market place
Burks Harry, shopkeeper, Kirkland street
Butters  Cresswell,  head gardener & farm bailiff to  P. M. Stewart esq. B.A. Ivy hall
Butterworth Joseph, sanitary inspector,  surveyor & rate collector to the Urban District Council, assistant over­seer & captain & sec. of the Fire Brigade.Chapmangate
Buttle Charles Frederick, butcher, 34 Union street
Buttle John Henry, horse slaughterer, Mile End house
Buttle Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 36 Union street
Cains Francis George, solicitors' clerk & assistant bailiff of County court, Prospect house, Canal lane
Cains  Henry Parkin,  miller  (oil  &  water),  Devonshire mill, Canal lane
Cattle R.  & Co.  brewers &  spirit  mers.  Chapmangate
Central Hall (Fred Lee, proprietor), Peter's square
Collins William, huckster, 33 Chapmangate
Cook John, builder, 25 Great George street
Cook William Newlove, baker & flour dealer, 2 Regent st
Coulson Hall, farmer, 23 New street
County Court (John Thomas Sargent, registrar & high bailiff) ;  office, Railway street
County Police Office (Joseph Crisp,supt.),Great George st
Coupland    William,   deputy    superintendent    registrar, Rosewalden, Barmby road
Creaser Harriet (Mrs.), Railway inn, Railway street
Crisp Joseph, police superintendent & inspector under the “Diseases   of    Animals   Acts"    for   Wilton    Beacon Division, Great George street
Cundall Robert & Co. chemists & manufacturers of bone manures,   sheep   dips   &   cattle   medicines,   pickle  & sauce manufacturers & wine & spirit & ale & porter merchants, 5 Market street
Customs  &  Excise  Office   (William Francis  Gray),   la Burnby lane
Dale William, James, pork butcher, 25 Market street
Dennison George, farmer, South Moor house
Dunn Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, 22 Union street
Dunn Peter, The Feathers P.H. Market place
Dunwell James (trustees of), brick makers, Burnby lane
Easton James, blacksmith, Church lane
Easton John, saddle & harness maker, 6 Market place
Eastwood Robert, carter, 21 Chapmangate
Endowed   Grammar   School   (George    Hayden    Keeton M.A.  head master; William Jones Thomas M.A.  2nd master; for assistant masters, seep. 594), West Green
English R.   M.   &  Son,   auctioneers & valuers,  millers, corn, seed, wool & manure merchants, Market street; &  at  Market  Weighton;   attend  markets   at Leeds; York; Wakefield; Driffield;   Hull; Malton & Selby
English R. M. & Son, farmers, Mile farm; & at Thornton
Everingham Bros, cycle agents & dealers, 16 Railway st
Everingham John Thomas, tailor, 12 Railway street
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.B., C.M.Aberd. physician,   medical   officer   &   public  vaccinator   Nos. i  &  2 districts, Pocklington union, & medical  officer of health to the Urban & Rural District  Councils  & medical   officer   to' the   workhouse   &   Post   Office   & certifying factory surgeon, Faircote, West Green
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, 40 Union street
Fielder John Elliott, joiner, 2 London street
Fire    Brigade    (Joseph    Butterworth,   captain   &   sec.), Railway street
Flintoff   Charles   Ashley   M.R.C.S.Eng.,   L.R.C.P.Lond. physician, Wainflete house, Union street
Forth  William  &  Charles,  printers,  bookbinders,  book­sellers, stationers.music sellers, news agents, & athletic & fancy goods depot, advertising agents & billposters, Market place; printing works, Dean's lane Foster Brothers, boot makers & dealers, 35 Market place
Foster Emma (Mrs.), Black Swan P.H. 26 Market place
Foster Harry, farmer, 20 Burnby lane
Foster William, cowkeeper, Manor house
Fowler George Henry, draper, 46 Market place
Gautry Frank, draper, 37 Market place
Gill Walter Tom, laundry, 15 Brunswick place
Gilson William & Son, watch makers, 33 Market place
Gilson John Thomas, watch maker, 14 Market street
Glaisby John, Three Horse Shoes P.H. Market street
Goddard   William   Bailey,   horse   breeder,   St.    John's lodge, Barmby road
Grainger William, coal dealer, 16 Regent street
Grant Tom Cliffe, builders' merchant, lime & salt mer­chant & valuer,  Union street & Station yard
Gray Francis Wm. customs & excise officer,12 Burnby la
Gray Richard, saddler, Peter's square
Gray William, tailor, 45 Market place
Green James Edward,  school attendance officer, Holmlea, Yapham road
Hagyard Annie (Mrs.), confectioner, 49 Market place
Harrison    &   Co.    agricultural   engineers   &   implement makers & thrashing machine proprietors, Gt.George st
Harrison Mary (Mrs.), common lodging house, Dean's la
Hatfield James, shopkeeper & agent for the Pearl Life Assurance Co. Limited, 12 New pavement
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, 38 Market place
Hill William Francis, cycle agent & assessor of income tax, 2Chapmangate
Hind Frederick Hugh Griffiths, painter, Chapmangate
Hornsey William, farmer, 43 Great George street
Horsley Mary Kate (Miss), fancy draper, 17 Market st
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr lane
Hotham Charles, butcher, 11 New pavement
Hotham Harry, boot repairer, 26 Market street
Hotham William Richard, Waterloo hotel, Waterloo lane
Howdenshire   Chronicle   &   Pocklington   Weekly  News (John   Whitehead,   publisher;    published    sat,.),   51 Market place
Hutchinson William, lock keeper, Canal head
Irons William, chimney sweeper. 13 Great George street
Jarvis Ellen M. (Mrs.) Odd Fellows' Arms P.H. Union st
Jebson William Henry.veterinary snrgeon,Wilton house ;&at Bishop Wilton
Johnson Fred, rope & twine & net maker, New street
Johnson George, tanner, Woodhouse farm
Johnson James, florist, 7 Great George street
Johnson Wm. Turner, frmr. & shopkpr. Gt. George st
Jowett Hanson, ironmonger, 10 Regent street
Judson Harold Thompson, grocer, 57 Market place
Kendall Henry, Cross Keys P.H. Market street
Laister Jsph. & Son.rope & twine mas.30 & 32 Market pl
Lamb John T. professor of music
Lamb Thomas J. joiner, 20 Railway street & Church lane
Laughton William, farmer. Kimberley house, Union st
Law Annie (Mrs.), wardrobe dealer, 1 Union street
Law Joseph Edwm, boot maker, 16 Market street
Layfield Jsph. Wm. confctnr. 12, & fruitr. 14, Market pl
Lee Fred, cycle agent 50, & tobacconist & registrar of marriages 59, Market place
Lewis Mary Louisa (Mrs.) & Mary Irene (Miss), girls' school, 8 York view
Lister John, cab proprietor, 15 & 17 Great George street
Lister Robert Jackson, hair dresser, 20 New pavement
Lockwood Benj. (Mrs.), chimney sweeper, Waterloo sq
Lundy & Son, watch makers, 18 Railway street
Manners Brothers, cabinet makers, Great George street
Manners Christr. saddler & harness ma. 4 New pavement
Marshall    Frederick    William    L.R.C.P.    &    S.Edin., L.F.P.S. & L.M.Glas. physicn.Sherbutt ho.Yapham rd
Meynell Herbert, grocer, 1 Market place
Middlebrough George A. & Sons, maltsters,Chapmangate
Mitchell George W. surveyor, & sanitary inspector to the Pocklington   Rural  District  Council,   No.   2district, 2 Prospect place
Moody Edward, joiner & wheelwright, London street
Moor Arthur, Buck hotel, 24 Market place
Moor George, fishmonger, 13 New pavement
Moor Joseph J. millers' traveller, 33 Great George street
Moor Joseph William, blacksmith, Dean's lane
Moor Wilfred, builder, bricklayer & plasterer, 82 Chap­mangate
Morrill Thomas, coal merchant, Market place
Morris Henry, grocer, 8 Chapmangate
Nelson & Sons, shoe makers & dealers, 39 & 41 Market pl
Newbald Robert W. farmer, Canal Head
Newsome Mary (Mrs.), assurance agt. 68 Gt. George st
Nicholson John, farmer, Northfield Farm house
North Eastern Railway Coal Depot (Joseph H. Brown, agent). Railway station
North   Eastern   Railway   Goods   Depot   (John   Britton, agent), Railway station, West Green
Pearson Thomas, farmer, Northfield (letters should be addressed Meltonby, Pocklington) Pocklington Conservative Club  (Herbert John Horsley, sec.), Railway street Pocklington   Coronation   Brass   Band   (John   T.   Lamb, conductor), Chapmangate Pocklington Cricket Club  (J. Whitehead,  hon.   sec.  51 Market place)
Pocklington   Cycle   Club   (W.   Coupland,   sec,),   Rosewalden, Barmby road
Pocklington   &   District   Agricultural   Club   (Atkinson Skinner, sec)
Pocklington   &   District  Co-operative   Society   Limited (George William Law, manager), grocers, Waterloo la
Pocklington Fancier Society (J. Easton, sec.),6 Market pl
Pocklington Floral & Horticultural Society (Thomas Scaife, sec)
Pocklington  Horse & Foal  Show  (H.   S.   Powell,   hon. sec.), Regent street
Pocklington Lawn Tennis Club (Fdk.Wm.Robson,hon.sec)
Pocklington Literary Society (Walter Barlow, hon. sec.), 54 Market place
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H. S. Powell, sec.); office, Regent street; works, West Green Pocklington Water Works Co.  Lim.  (H. B. Broomhend, of Beverley, sec.), Chapel hill Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor, commissioner for oaths, & sec. to the New Gas Co. Limited, superintendent registrar, clerk to Market Weighton Drainage Trustees, deputy   steward  for  the  manor of Fridaythorpe,   & local   agent  for  the  Unemployment  Section   of   the
National Insurance Act, Regent street
Procter Christopher, grocer, 18 Market place
Procter William Henry, draper 56, & hosier 61,Market pl
Public Weighing Machine (R, M. English & Son, pro­prietors), Market street
Read Thomas, greengrocer, 8 Union street
Richardson John & Wm. monumental masons, New st
Richardson Danl. agrcltrl. implement ma.3 Brunswick pl
Robson Frederick William, solicitor, Waterloo buildings
Robson John,, coach builder, 25 Union street
Robson Thomas, solicitor, & Commishioner for oaths & perpetual commissioner, clerk to the guardiansassessment committee of the Pocklington union, clerk 10 the Pocklington Rural District Council, to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme Beacon divisions, & to the governors of the Pocklington Gram­mar school & steward of the manor of Pocklington, of Barmby-upon-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Waterloo buildings
Rodgers William, fried fish shop, 12 Market street
Rowley Charles, tailor, 11 & 13 Market street
Russell John, toy dealer, Tute hill, Great George street
Russell Maud (Miss), milliner, 13 Market place
Sargent John Thomas, solicitor, commissioner for oaths, & perpetual commissioner, registrar & high bailiff of county court & deputy steward of the manor of Millington with Little Givendale, 5 Railway street
Scaife Harold, cycle agent & tobacconist, 10 Market pl
Scaife Thomas, cab proprietor, 52 Chapmangate
Scaife Thomas, deputy registrar of marriages, assessor of income tax & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank Limited, auctioneer & valuer, Ebor house, Chapmangate & china & earthenware dealer, Peter's square
Scott George Jefferson, manager to Barclay & Company's Bank, 42 Market place
Sherbourne Robert, butcher, Peter's square
Silburn Henry, white gravel merchant, 21 Market street
Simpson David, stamp distributor & postmaster, Railway street
Simpson James, farmer, The Grange
Skinner Edwin, confectioner, 19 Market place
Slight Frank, photographer, & drug stores, Railway st
Smith Jane E. & Annie E. (Misses), confectioners, Great George street
Smith W. H. & Son, news agents, Railway station
Smith Frederick J.P. farmer, Red house, Yapham road
Smith John, cowkeeper, Bridge street
Sowerby James, monumental mason, Regent street
Spink Ada (Mrs.), furnishing ironmonger, 3 Market st
Spray George, shopkeeper, Chapmangate
Stather Charles, draper, 25 Market place
Staveley George Robert, hair dresser, 3 Regent street
Staveley Harriett (Mrs.), dress maker, 3 Regent street
Stead & Simpson Limited, boot makers, 23 Market place
Steel Frederick, butcher, Church lane
Steel Joseph,   jun.  bricklayer,  builder & plasterer, 39 & 41 Great George street
Steels William & Son, grocers, 17 & 19 Market place
Steels   George,    cabinet   maker,   taxidermist,   general dealer & confectioner, London street Stephenson   Ellen   W.   (Miss),   baby   linen   warehouse, 20 Market street
Stephenson Thomas Nelson, grocer, 6 Market street
Stubbs Jn. T. & Sons, joiners & wheelwrights, 10 New st
Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district, Aston villa, Union street
Slubbs Walter, registrar of births & deaths for Pockling­ton sub-district & relieving & vaccination officer for the union & collector for the guardians, Aston villa, Union street
Suddaby Tom S. manager Beckett & Co.'s Bank & in­surance agent, 31 Market place
Summerson Alfred, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the Urban District Council & to the burial board, & agent for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society & Standard Life Assurance Co. Railway street Territorial Force, sth Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own, Yorkshire Regiment (A Co.), attached to Market Weighton
Thirsk & Sons, millers (suction gas, steam & water), corn, cake & seed merchants & farmers, Anglo-Hungarian flour mills, West Green; & at Nafferton; Beveriey; York; Drimeld & Bridlington. See ad­vertisement
Thomas Hy. farmer & cattle dlr. Eden pi. Gt. George st
Thompson James, milk seller, 32 Chapmangate
Thorpe George, tailor & emigration, shipping & insur­ance agent, 38 Great George street Tinker Ben, shopkeeper, 38 Market street
Tinson Arthur, builder, Rook house, Chapmangate
Tinson Fredk. Richardson, shopkeeper, 43 Gt. George st
Tinson William, builder, 28 Market street & hardware dealer, Union street
Todd Frederick E. N. cycle agent & verger, 5 Regent st
Todd Geo. grocer & provision merchant, New pavement
Todd John, plumber, 53 Great George street
Todd Robert, cowkeeper, 74 Great George street
Tonge-Smith   Winckworth   M.D.,   C.M.,   D.P.H.Aberd., M.R.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon, 22 Gt. George st
Towse Benjamin R. common lodging house, 23 Union st
Turner Charles, tailor & outfitter, 9 Market place
Turner John, Royal Oak inn, Great George street
Victoria Hall (W. & 0. Forth, lessees), Chapmangate
Waite John, cabinet maker, 18 & 20 Regent street
Walsh Susannah (Mrs.), Black Bull P.H. Market place
Walsh William, farmer, Canal Head
Ward William & George, carters, 16 Chapmangate
Wardale James Parkinson, insur. agt. 60 Gt. George st
Watson David R. Wellington Oak inn, Canal Head
Whitehead   John,    stationer,   printer   &   publisher   of the   " Howdenshire   Chronicle   &   Pocklington   Weekly News," 51 Market place & music warehouse, Union st
Wilson Annie (Miss), dress maker, 45 Chapmangate
Wilson Joseph, butcher, j New pavement
Wilson Joseph, joiner, 35 Chapmangate
Wilson William, insurance agent, 31 Kirkland street
Witty Thomas, fried fish dealer, 46 Chapmangate
Wood Joseph, Old Red Lion P.H. Regent street
Wright Watson, joiner & -wheelwright, Chapmangate
Yorkshire Penny Bank Limited (branch) (Thomas Scaife, actuary);  open sat. 3.45 to 4.45 p.m. New street