PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> 2017 AGM
> Titanic Yorkshire Links
> Burnby Lane Dig - Update
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  18th May - Thomas Cooke Optical   Instrument Maker from Allerthorpe    ** n.b. venue & date change

> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1905 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON,

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM, MELTONBY AND OUSTHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union, town, and the head of a county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern rail­way,- 198miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6½ north-west from Market Weighton, 27 north-west from Hull, 30 south-west from Brddlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough,in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the wapen-take of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional divison, rural deanery of Pocklinffton, archdeaconry of the East Biding and diocese of York.
Under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members; in place of the former Local Board constituted under the " Public Health Act, 1875," by Local Government Board Order No. 29,872, dated July 1st, 1893.
By Local Government Board Order No. 42,567, part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.
The town is lighted with gas, from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works one mile east of the town, erected near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church, of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, "with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: there are eleven stained windows : the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy ; and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: there are still some traces of the original Nor­man church: the font consists of a square basin of fos­silized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589 ; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594 ; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard : on the pedestal is a modern- inscription in Latin, which translated reads:— " Here Paulinus preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of " the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, aboiut 1500; and well preserved: close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwald, last prioress of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150: the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600 : there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, go constituted in 1252, with the chapelry of Yapham and Meltonby annexed, net yearly value £237, including 25 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1897 by the Rev. George Herbert Stock B.A. of Durham University, rural dean of Pocklington, and chaplain to Pocklington union.
The Catholic church, in Union street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse; it has four stained windows and sittings for 120 persons; attached to the church is a residence for the priest.
There is a Congregational Chapel in Chapmangate, erected in 1807, with an endowment of £10 yearly; it will seat 300 persons; there are also Wesleyan and Primi­tive Methodist chapels.
The Cemetery, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 2a. or. 19p. and has two small chapels, one for the Church of England and the other for Catholics and Dissenters ; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial board.
The Police Court and Station, erected in 1899 -1900, at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magis­trates' room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.
The Odd Fellows' Hall, in Union street, built in 1839, is let for public meetings and lectures, and will hold 400 persons.
Victoria Hall, in Ohanmangate, is let for public meet­ing's and lectures, and will hold 450 persons.
The building originally erected in 1880 for the purposes of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington, is at present occupied as a private resi­dence. The Wilson Memorial Reference Library, was es­tablished with part of the funds collected to found the Wilson Memorial Hospital.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of the late Queen Victoria.

The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine making and brick making; there are agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neighbourhood several corn mills.
The market is held every Saturday, and is well supplied with provisions. There are four fairs held here annually for cattle—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November; on the 9th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and an auction is held every alternate Monday.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington: canal, the property of the North Eastern Railway Co.: the canal, made under the provisions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with, the river Derwent.
Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy, is lord of the manor and lay rector and principal landowner, and holds a court leet, baron and copyhold court, annually: there are also a large number of small freeholders.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousthorpe. The township and Urban District of Pocklington contains 2,564 acres- of land including 75 acres taken over from Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water; rateable value, £12,063 ; the population in 1891 was 2,577, and in 1901 was 2,554, including 5 officers and 58 inmates in the workhouse, and in the parish, 2,686.
OUSTHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½  miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rectangular moated enclosure. The great tithe, amounting to £71, belongs to the Dean of York. The land is the property of Major-Gen. 0. W. Duncombe and Mrs. A. B. Lamb. The area is 333 acres; rateable value, £412; the population-in 1901 was 20.
Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, arrive at 10.15 a.m. There is no Letter Box. The postman takes the letters about 2.45 p.m. Pocklington, a mile-distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1875, for 45 children; average attendance, 26; Miss Delia Millman, mistress

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and a township, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north­west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of 1 chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret contain­ing 2 bells-: it was repaired in 1777-8. and restored about 1904, at a co-st of £400, and has 100 sittings. The great tithe, amounting to £365. belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are-expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commis­sioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. The land belongs to various owners: 3s. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 43. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,880; rateable value, £2,326; the population in 1901 was 203.
Parish Clerk, George Edward Faulkner.

LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c. Bardwell Thomas Wewman Frederick esq. M.A.    S.C Ii
D.L. Bolton hall, Wilberfoss, York Duncombe Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer, Kilnwick Percy,
Pocklington,   York Hawison William Mountain esq. Burton fields   Stamford
Bridge, York Herbert   Edward   Arthur  Field   Whittell   esq.    Upper
Helmsley hall,  York Morris Rev.  Marmaduke Charles  Frederick B.O.L. The
Rectory,  Nunburnholme,  York
Wilson Chas. Henry esq. M.P., D.L. Warter priory, York
Wright Fredk. esq. Derwent Hill, Stamford Bridge, York The Chairmen, for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magistrates
Clerk  to  the Magistrates,   Thomas  Robson,  Waterloo-buildings near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church, of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, "with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower, withj pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: there are eleven stained windows : the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy ; and there are memorial windows to members1 of the Loftus and Powell families: there are still some traces of the original Nor­man church: the font consists of a square basin of fos­silized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589 ; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594 ; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard : on the pedestal is a modern- inscription in Latin, which translated reads:— " Here Paulinus preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of " the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved: close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwald, last prioress of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150: the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600 : there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, go constituted in 1252, with the chapllry of Yapham and Meltonby annexed, net yearly value £237, including 25 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1897 by the Eev. George Herbert Stock B.A. of Durham University, rural dean of Pocklin-gton, and chaplain to Pocklington union.
The Catholic church, in Union street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse; it has four stained windows and sittings for 120 persons; attached to the church is a residence for the priest.
There is a Congregational Chapel in Ohapmangate, erected in 1807, with an endowment of £10 yearly; it will seat 300 persons; there are also Wesleyan- and Primi­tive Methodist chapels.
The Cemetery, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 2a. or. igp. and has two small chapels, one for the Cterdh of England and the other for Catholics' mid Dissenters ; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial board.
The Police Court and Station, erected in 1809-1900, at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magis­trates' room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.
The Odd Fellows' Hall, in Union street, built in 1839, is let for public meetings and lectures, and will hold 400 persons.
Victoria Hall, in Chapmangate, is let for public meeting's and lectures, and will hold 450 persons.
The building originally erected in 1880 for the purposes of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington, is at present occupied as a private resi­dence. The Wilson Memorial Eeference Library, was es­tablished with part of the funds collected to found the Wilson Memorial Hospital.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of the late Queen Victoria.

OUSTHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rectangular moated enclosure. The great tithe, amounting to £71, belongs to the Dean of York. The land is the property of Major-Gen. C. W. Duncombe and Mrs. A. B. Lamb. The area is 333 acres; rateable value, £412; the population-in 1901 was 20.
Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, arrive at 10.15 a.m. There is no Letter Box. The postman takes the letters about 2.45 p.m. Pocklington, a mile-distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1875, for 45 children; average attendance, 26; Miss Delia Millman, mistress

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and a township, about i mile a/part, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north­west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of i chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret contain­ing 2 bells-: it was repaired in 1777-8. and restored about 1904, at a co-st of £400, and has 100 sittings. The great tithe, amounting to £365. belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are-expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commis­sioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. The land belongs to various owners: 3s. 4-d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township-and 39 o-tiher parishes receive various sums' annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 43. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,880; rateable value, £2,326; the population in 1901 was 203.
Parish Clerk, George Edward Faulkner.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M. 0. & T. 0., T. M. 0., S. B., E. D., P. P. & A. & I.
Office, Railway street.—David Simpson, sub-post­master. Letters arrive from York at 7,15 a.m.; de­livery commences at 8 a.m. & 6 p.m.-; dispatched at 10.35 am & S & 8.00 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.; sundays, arrive 7 a.m. delivery commences 8 a.m Wall Letter Boxes cleared as follows:
London street,  10.5 a.m. & 4.25 & 7.50 p.m.;  Sundays, 5.50 p.m
George street,  10.5 a.m. & 4.25 & 7.50 p.m.;   Sundays, 5.50 p.m
Railway station, 10.15 a.m. & 4.35 p.m. week days only

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

Calverley-Rudston Trevor Wheler esq. D.L.  Allerthorpe hall, Pocklington, chairman
Bardwell Thomas Newman Frederick esq. M.A.    S.C.L. D.L. Bolton hall, Wilberfoss, York
Duncombe Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer, Kilnwick Percy, Pocklington,   York
Hawison William Mountain esq. Burton fields   Stamford Bridge, York
Herbert   Edward   Arthur  Field   Whittell   esq.    Upper Helmsley hall,  York
Morris Rev.  Marmaduke Charles  Frederick B.O.L. The Rectory,  Nunburnholme,  York
Wilson Chas. Henry esq. M.P., D.L. Warter priory, York
Wright Fredk. esq. Derwent Hill, Stamford Bridge, York
The Chairmen, for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magis­trates
Clerk  to  the Magistrates,   Thomas  Robson,  Waterloo-buildings

Petty   Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month (except October), at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special seS'Sions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
The following places are included in the petty sessional division:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Button, Garrowby,Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Perey, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe. Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meeting  day,   1st  friday   each month 7 p.m.   at  Clerk's offices, Railway  street.
Chairman, Christopher Procter.

Retire in April, 1905.
John Thomas Everingham
Henry Thomas
Thomas Read

Retire in April, 1906.
Richard Massey English
Thomas Spruce Thirsk
Christopher Procter

Retire in April, 1907.
Henry Sydney Powell
Robert Todd
Frederick Smith                      |

Officers.

Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Railway street
Treasurer, William I. Allison, Barclay & Co.'s
Bank Medical   Officer  of   Health,   Alex.   Ferrier   Angus   Fair-weather  M.A., M.D.,  C.M. Faircote house Assistant Medical Officer of Health,  Angus Fairweather M.B.   Union street
Sanitary   Inspector,   Surveyor  &   Rate   Collector,   Joseph Butterworth, Chapmangate

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meets at the  Guardians'  Board room fortnightly,  on mondays,   at 2.30  p.m. Chairman,  J.  T. Elgey
Clerk, Thomas Robson,  Waterloo buildings
Treasurer, William I. Allison, Barclay & Co.'s Bank
Medical Officers of Health, Pocklington division,Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., C.M. Faircote house, Pocklington; Market Weighton division, Thomas Jewison Jefferson M.D. Market Weighton
Sanitary Inspectors & Surveyors, J. B. Greenshaw, War­ter & James Wm. Highmoor, 3 York view, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON UNION

Board day, every alternate monday, at the Board room, at 1.30 p.m.

Pocklington union comprises the following places:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, Catton (High), Catton (Low), Cliffs (North), Cliffe (South) Cottiingwith, (East), Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton,Givendale (Great)-wit!h Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwiek Percy, Kirby Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough--with-Easthorpe, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Sancton-with-Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge (Etet), Storwood, Sutton'-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thomton, Thorpe-le-Street, Walpington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-oum-Gowthorpe. The area of the union is 110,638 acres; rateable value in 1904, £115,686; the population in 1891 was 14,579, and in 1901 was 13,709.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, J. T. Elgey, Kilnwick Percy
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington
Treasurer, Wm. Illingworth Allison, Barclay & Co.'s Bank
Relieving   &   Vaccination  Officer  &   Prosecutor   for   the Union, Walter Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators:—Pocklington No.1 district, Alex.Dionysius Hobson Leadman L.R.O.P.& S. Edin., F.S.A. Oak house, Pocklington; No. 2 district, Alex. Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., C.M. Faircote house, Pocklington; Stamford Bridge district, Joseph Percival Sharpies L.R.C.P.Lond. Long Lands, Stamford Bridge; Market Weighton, No. 1 district, Richard Hamilton Ashwin M.D. Market Weighton; No, 2 district, Richard Hamilton Ashwin M.D. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, George Ogg Gauld M.B., C.M. Bank house, Elvington, near York; Huggate district, Seth Tinsley L.F.P. & S.Glas. Wetwang, York
Superintendent Registrar, Jonathan Chapman Lee, Great George street, Pocklington; deputy, George Edward Barlow, Market place, Pocklington
Registrars  of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, Walter Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington ; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington; East Stam­ford Bridge sub-district, Robert Martin Butcher, Fang­foss, York ; deputy, Biohard Beedham, Fangfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, James F. Roantree, High street, Market Weighton; deputy, Miss Roantree, Market Weighton
Registrar  of Marriages, Frederick Lee, Market place, Pocklington; deputy, Thomas Scaife, Market place, Pockligigton
The Union Workhouse, situated on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in 1852, at a cost of £1,608, on a site purchased for £360, it was enlarged in 1896, at a cost of £6,237, & will hold 113 inmates ; in 1878 a hospital was added, for 30 patients ; Joseph Sargeant, master ; Rev. George Herbert Stock B.A. chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., C.M. medical officer; Mrs. Fannie Marie Sargeant, matron

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

County Court; office, Railway street; office hours,, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on Wednesdays, when it is closed at i p.m. ; His Honor Francis William Raikes LL.D., K.C. judge; John Thomas Sargent, registrar & high bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magis­trates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Bnckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Button, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kiln-wick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborougb, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Der­went, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scraying-ham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Suttoh-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby & Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Donald Sween Mackay, Red house, Duncombe place, York, official receiver; William Spencer Draw­bridge, 74 Newborough street, Scarborough, assistant official receiver
Certifield Bailiffs appointed under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act," Richard Massey English, Market street; Ralph Johnson Scaife, Market place; John Joseph Kempley & Samuel Sharp, Market Weighton
County Police Office, Great George street; William Stepheneon, superintendent & one sergeant; also one inspector & one sergeant at Market Weighton & 10 constables stationed in the various villages around
Cemetery,  West green, Alfred Summerson, clerk, Rail­way street
Fire Brigade (T. W. Calverley-Rudston esq. superin­tendent), Railway street
Inland Revenue Office, Union  street, James   Smith
Odd Fellows Hall, Union street, Mrs. H. M. Nicholls, proprietress
Victoria Hall, Chapmangate, Thomas Grant, proprietor
Wilson Memorial Reference Library, John A. C. Boyden, sec

VOLUNTEERS.

2nd  Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment (F Co.), attached to Market Weighton

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Assessor of Income Tax, Johnathan Chapman Lee, Market pl
Assistant Overseer  & Collector of Poor's Rates,   Joseph Buterworth, Chapmangate
Certifying Factory Surgeon,  Alexander D. H.  Leadman L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. F.S.A. Oak house
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale,  John Thomas Sargent,  Railway street
Stamp Distributor, David Simpson, Railway street
Steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Thomas Robson,
Waterloo buildings
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon,  Holme Beacon &  Ouse-on-Derwent  Divisions,  R.   J.  Hicks,   Market
Weighton

PLACES  OF WORSHIP, with times of  Services.

All   Saints' Church, Rev. George Herbert Stock B.A. vicar; Rev. Alfred Ramsden, curate; 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.50 p.m.; daily at 8 & 10 a.m. & 7 p.m.; services at Riverhead Mission Room, tues. at 7.30 p.m
SS   Mary & Joseph (Catholic), Rev. Gabriel Ryan, priest; 10 a,m. & 6 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m
Congregational, Rev. Alexander Farries; 10.30 a.m. & 6p.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m
Primitive -Methodist, Rev. J. S. Waltham Stanwell, super­intendent & Rev. Moses Holmes; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m
Wesleyan  Methodist, Rev. Joseph Watson, superinten­dent ; Rev. Peter J. Robertson & Rev. Alfred G. Burnham; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; tues. 7 p.m

SCHOOLS.

The   Endowed Grammar School, on West green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cock­ing bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved: the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514) ; & when sub­sequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Mas­ter & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pock­lington." Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions:—i, Four Bowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tennble for 3 years at St. John's College, Cambridge; 2, the Acknoyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each  yearly & tenable for 2 years at any university, are similarly open; 4, three County Council scholarships of £60 yearly each, tenable for 2 years, by natives of or residents in the East Biding, at the Yorkshire College, Leeds, Firth College, Sheffield, Owens College, Man­chester, the Royal College of Science, South Kensing­ton, or any other college or university approved by the County Council; 5, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific or professional training
The following are tenable only at the school:—i, Eight local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £7 10s. ; 2, foundation scholarships for boarders, of £20each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, ten house scholarships, five senior & five junior, of £20 each yearly; 4, a limited number of entrance scholar­ships at £20 each & of exhibitions of £15
The   revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amount to about £1,000 a year. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, succeeded in con­siderably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F.. J. Gruggen M.A.: in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the manage­ment of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing board of 12 members. Under the management of the late master, the Rev. Charles Gilmour Wilkinson M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the school considerably increased in num­bers. during 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by tbe addi­tion of a new wing, at the cost of about £6,000; there are now (1904) two boarding houses, & about 150 boys; head master, Rev. Chades Frederick Mutton M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge; Robert Johnson M.A., Leonard Victor Wright M.A., J. Elliott M.A., Edward Caldecot Marsh M.A., F. B. Welch B.A., D. T. Picton Davies, R. O. V. Thorp B.A. & G. Atkinson, assistant masters

Public Elementary Schools.

New street (mixed & infants), erected, with house for the master, in 1854, at a cost of upwards of £1,444, includ­ing the value of the site, presented by the Ecclesiasti­cal Commissioners & the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe : the school will hold 160 boys & girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 115 boys & girls & 55 infants; Atknson Skinner, master; Miss McConkey, infants' mistress
Catholic (mixed, erected in 1877, for 65 children; aver­age attendance, 34; Misses Wilson, mistresses
Wesleyan  Methodist (mixed), Chapmangate, erected in 1852, for 200 children; average attendance, 156; Wm. Lamb, master

NEWSPAPER.

The   Pocklington Weekly News, John Whitehead, publisher ; published sat
Railway  Station, West green, John Britton, master Goal Depot, Thomas Morrill, agent

CARRIERS to:
Barmby-on-the-Moor—Thos.  Taylor Allison, from 'Black Bull,' sat
Bishop   Wilton—Richmond   &    Hardwick,    from    'Three Horse Shoes,: sat
Bishop-Wilton, William Wales, from 'The Feathers,' sat
Everingham—Richard Nicholson, from 'Buck,' sat
Full   Sutton—George   William   Johnson,   from   Waterloo hotel, sat
Huggate—Francis   Stevenson   &   Snowdon,  from   ' Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Kirby   Underdale—William   Bayston,  from   'Three Horse Shoes.' mon
Market  Weighton & Goodmanham—Thomas  Clark,   from ' Buck,' sat
Melbourne—Thomas Kidd,   from  ' New Bed  Lion,'   sat.; John Gorwood. from Black Bull," sat
Millington—Oxtoby,   from ' Black   Swan,'   sat.;   William Thompson, ' Three Horse Shoes,' daily
Nunburnholme—William Brown, from. 'Black Bull,'sat. ; George & Tom Frear, from Oddfellows'  Arms,' sat. ;
Harrison, from 'Black Swan,' sat
Seaton Ross—William Chapman, from  Black' Bull,' sat
Thornton—William Hesselwoodr from  ' Black Bull,' sat
Warter—Robert Stephenson, from Buck,' sat.;   William Slater,  from 'Black Bull,' sat. ;  Samuel Holmes, from
' Black Bull,' sat
York—John Addison, from his house in Union street, sat

POCKLINGTON.

PRIVATE   RESIDENTS.

Atkinson   G.    (assistant    master    at Grammar School),  School house
Barlow George Edward, Chapmangate
Batley Thomas Abbey, North view
Baylis Mrs. Chapmangate
Beal Miss, Market street
Berriman  Miss, The Terrace
Bloomer Boaz, Dewsbury house
Bloomer Misses, Dewsbury house
Boyden John Augustus Chas.Percy rd
Brand Wm. Thomas M.B. Deans lane
Brigham John, South Moor house
Burnham Rev.   Alfred G.   (Wesleyan Methodist),  Prospect place,
Caris Miss, Chapmangate
Cattle Henry Ward, Chapmangate
Cattle James, West green
Cooper Mrs. 9 York view
Curtis Mrs. Sherbutt house
Day John, Chapmangate
Davies D. T. Picton (assistant master of Grammar school), West green
Dixon Miss, Brunswick house
Elliott J., M.A.   (assistant master at Grammar School), School house
English Misses, Union street
English Mrs.  Union street
English Richard Massey, Lyndhurst
English Thomas, Mile farm.
Everingham John Thos. Stamford villa
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.A., M.D.,   C.M.  Faircote .house
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus, jun.  M.B., O.M.  Union   street
Farries Rev. Alexander    (Congrega­tional), Chapmangate
Fawcett Albert,  1 York view
Forth Charles, Chapmangate
Foster Mrs..Great George street
Fourby Mrs. The Grove
Fowler George Henry, The Briars
Fowler Thomas, Percy road
Grant Thomas, The Terrace, Union st
Hardy Robert, Red house
Highmoor James W. 3 York view
Holmes   Rev.   Moses   (Prim.   Meth.), Percy road
Horsley Miss, Market street
Hutton Rev.  Charles Frederick M.A. (principal), Grammar school
Jackson Mrs. Regent street
Jebson Mrs. 5 York view
Jennings Mrs. 10 York view
Johnson Robert M.A. (second master) Grammar school
Kelsey Miss, Great George street
Laister John William, The Grove
Lamb Mrs.  The Grove
Lamb Miss, Bainton villa
Leadman Alexander Dionysius Hobson F.S.A. Oak house
Marsh   Edward Caldecot. M.A. (as­sistant master of Grammar school), Wilberforce lodge
Melrose Walter, Bank ho. Market pl
Palmer Mrs. 2 York view
Powell Henry Sydney, Regent street
Precious Mrs. Avenue house
Ramsden Rev. Alfred (curate), Great George street
Richardson Mrs.  Myrtle grove
Robertson   Rev.   Peter   J.   (Wesleyan Methodist),  Chapmangate
Robson Thomas, Pembroke lodge
Robson Wm. Jackson, Prospect house
Ryan Rev. Gabriel (Gath.), Union st
Sandwith Mrs. Ashland house
Sargent John Thomas, Avenue houses
Scaife Frank, Neswick villa
Seller Mrs. Market place
Shooter Miss, Chapmangate
Singleton  Mrs. Teresa cottage
Smith Mrs. Chapmangate
Smithson Francis, Dolman house
Stanwell Rev. J. S. Waltham (Primi­tive Methodist), Beech ho.Percy rd
Steels Mrs. Market place
Stephenson  Mrs.   Chapmangate
Stewart Percy M., B.A. The Elms
Stock Rev. George Herbert B.A. (vicar, rural dean of Pocklington, & chap­lain to the workhouse),TheVicarage
Suddaby Tom S. Market place
Summerson Alfred, Wilberforce house
Summerson Miss, Percy road
Swallow Rd. Shadrack, Richmond ter
Thirsk David, Burnby lane
Thirsk Thomas Spruce, White Mills
Thomas Robert, Chapmangate
Thompson  John,  The Grove
Thorp R. O. V., B.A. (assist, master at Grammar School), School house
Todd George, 4 York view
Watson     Rev.      Joseph      (Wesleyan Methodist), Chapmangate
Welch F. B.,  B.A.   (assistant master Grammar school), 8 York view
Wright Leonard Victor M.A. (assistant master), Grammar school
Young Robt. Richmond, Chapmangate

COMMERCIAL.

Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m.

Addison John, carrier. Union street
Andrew George, hair dresser, Market place
Atkinson Hannah (Mrs.), apartments, Brass Castle hill
Bailey   Charles,   dentist;   attends on   Saturday   at  Miss. Horsley's, Market street
Barclay & Co. Limited (branch) (Walter Melrose, man­ager) ; open daily 10 to 3, weds. 10 to 1, sats. 10 to 5, Market place; draw on head office, Lombard street, London E C
Barker George Henry, shopkeeper, Chapmangate
Barlow George Edward,   chemist   &  druggist & deputy superintendent  registrar,   Market   place
Barnby Jemima (Miss), pianoforte teacher, Chapmangate
Barnes George, farmer, Toft house
Baxter John, tailor, Market street
Beckett & Co. York & East Biding Bank  (branch) (Tom S.   Suddaby,   manager),   Market   place;    open   daily 10 to 3, wed.   10 to  1, sat.   10 to 5 ;   draw on Glyn, Mills, Carrie & Co. London E C Bedford Anthony, pig dealer  &c. Percy house
Bentley Jn.Edwd.fellmngr.& Old Red Lion P.H.Regent st
Bielby   William, boot maker,   Great   George  street
Bloomer Kate  & Louise  (Misses), private school; Dewsbury house,   Union street
Booth  Joe   Boyston,   registration   agent   &   sec.   to   the Howdenshire Conservative Association, 6 York view
Booth Sam, managing clerk, Prospect place
Brown J. L. (Mrs.), private  school, St. John's lodge
Boyden John Augustus Charles, chemist & wine & spirit merchant, Market place
Brabiner William, greengrocer, New pavement
Braithwaite William, boot maker, Bloomsbury
Brand William Thomas M.B., B.S.Lond. & B.A.O.B.U.I. surgeon, Deans lane
Brigham   George,   chemist,  wine &   spirit  merchant  & insurance agent, Market place
Brigham   John   M.B.C.Y.S.   veterinary   surgeon,   South Moor house
Button John, station master, Railway station
Britton Winifred (Miss), confectioner, Railway street
Brook John Edmondson, plumber, New pavement
Browne Harriott (Mrs.), grocer, Market place
Burdett George, grocer, Chapmangate
Burkitt William, baker, Market place
Butterworth Joseph, sanitary inspector,  surveyor & rate collector to the Urban District Council & assistant over­seer, Chapmangate
Buttle Charles, butcher & shopkeeper, Union street
Cains Francis George,  assistant bailiff of County court, Prospect house, Biverhead
Cains Hy. Parkin, miller (oil & water), Devonshire mill
Cattle R. & Co.  brewers &  spirit mers.   Chapmangate
Cemetery  (Alfred   Summerson, clerk),  West green
Coal Depot (Thomas Morrill, agent), Railway station
Conyers John & Son, gun makers, Market street
Cook William, baker & flour dealer, Regent street
Coulson Hall, butcher, New street
Cundall Robert &  Co.  chemists   &  manufactrs.  of bone manures, sheep dips & cattle medicines. Market street
Cundall Edward, pig dealer,  Chapmangate
Curtis Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Sherbutt house
Day Ethel & Florence (Misses), school, Chapmangate
Denny Hannah (Miss), grocer, Great George street
Douthwaite John, fishmonger, Market street
Duggleby Thomas, farmer, Clayfield
Dunn Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, Union street
Dunning William K. Wellington Oak inn, Riverhead
Dunwell Alban, brick maker,  Burnby lane
Easton James, blacksmith, Church lane
Easton John, saddle & harness maker, Market place
Eastwood Robert, carter, Chapmangate
Endowed Grammar School (Rev. Charles F. Hutton M.A. head master; for assistant masters see p. 562), West green
English K. M. & Son, auctioners & valuers, millers, corn, seed, wool & manure merchants, Market street & at Market Weighton; attend markets at Leeds, York, Wakefield, Driffield & Hull
Everingham John .Thomas, tailor, Railway street
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.A., M.B. & C.M, Aberd.  physician, medical officer & public vaccinator, No.   2   district,   Pocklington  union,   &  medical   officer of health  to  the Urban  & Rural District  Councils & medical officer to the workhouse, Faircote house
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus, jun. M.B. & C.M. Aberd. surgeon, & assistant medical officer to the Urban District Council, Union street
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, Union street
Faulkner George Edward, plumber, New pavement
Fawcett Albert, corn factor, Market street
Fielder John, joiner,  London  street
Forth  William & Charles, printers, bookbinders, book­sellers, stationers,music sellers, news agents, & athletic & fancy goods depot, Market place
Foster Harry, farmer, Peter's square
Foster John Alien, boot maker, Market place
Foster William, cowkeeper, Manor house
Fowler George Henry, travelling draper, Union street
Fowler Thomas, draper, Market place
Gautry Frank, draper, Market place
Gill Bartholomew,   shopkeeper &   coal dealer, Market st
Gilson Thomas, watch maker, Church lane
Gilson William, watch maker, Market place
Gilyead James William, bookkeeper, Great George street
Glaisby John, Three Horse Shoes P.H. Market street
Gray Richard, saddler, Peter's square
Gray William, tailor, Railway street
Grant Thomas,   builder,  Station yard;   cabinet maker, Waterloo buildings;   timber merchant &  dealer in all kinds   of building   materials   &   china  &   glass  warehouse, Union street
Greig John George, Buck hotel, Market place
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, Market place
Hagyard Annie (Mrs.), confectioner, Market place
Hagyard John Thomas, grocer, Market place
Harrison & Co. agricultural engineers & implement mas. Great George  street
Harrison Albert E. farmer, Riverhead
Harrison Michael, common lodging house, Dean's lane
Hatfield  James,  shopkeeper &  agent for the Pearl Life Assurance Co. Limited, New pavement
Highmoor James W. sanitary inspector & surveyor to the Rural District Council, 3 York view
Higlett Elizabeth  (Mrs.),  confectioner, Market place
Higlett John William, boot & shoe dealer, Market place
Hill William F. draper, New pavement
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr farm
Hotharn Harry, boot maker, Smithy hill
Hotham Charles, butcher, New Pavement
Howdemshire  Chronicle,   Pocklington.   Weekly   News   & Market Weighton   Advertiser  (John  Whitehead, pub­lisher ;  published sat)
Howdenshire Conservative Association (J. Royston Booth, sec.), 6 York view
Inland Revenue Office (James Smith), 7 York view
Jameson William, tailor, Market street
Jarvis John, butcher & Odd Fellows' Arms P.H. Union st
Jebson William Henry, veterinary surgeon, Wilton house
Johnson Agnes (Miss), Railway inn, Railway street
Johnson Francis, Black Swan P.H. & rope, twine & net maker, Market place
Johnson George, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Johnson Henry, boot maker, Union street
Johnson James, fruiterer &c. Great George street
Johnson Herbert, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Johnson William, Waterloo hotel, Waterloo lane
Jowett Hanson, ironmonger, Regent street
Judson Annie (Mrs.), grocer, Market place
Kendall Henry, joiner, Cross Keys P.H. Market street
Laister Joseph & Son, rope & twine makers, Market pl. & New street
Lakin Tom H. farmer, The Grange
Lamb Harry, painter & paperhanger, Railway street
Lamb John T. professor of music, Bainton villa
Law Joseph Edwin, boot maker, Market street
Leadman Alexander Dionysius Hobson L.B.C.P.& S.Edin. F.S.A. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 1 district, Pocklington union & certifying factory surgeon, Oak house
Lee Jonathan Chapman, confectioner & assessor of in­come tax, Market place & superintendent registrar, Great George street
Lee Fred, cycle agent, tobacconist & registrar of mar­riages, Market place
Lister John, cab proprietor, Great George street
Lister Robert Jackson, hair dresser, New pavement
Lockwood Benjamin, chimney sweeper, Waterloo square
Lundy & Son, watch makers, Railway street
Manners Christr. saddler & harness ma. New pavement
Melrose   Walter,   manager   of   Barclay   &   Co.'s   Bank, Market place
Meynell Brothers, grocers, Market place
Moody Edward, joiner & wheelwright, London street
Moor J. & Son, blacksmiths & implement mas. Dean's la
Moor Joseph J. traveller, Great George street
Morrill Thomas, coal agent, Railway station
Morris Henry, grocer, Chapmangate
Nelson Hannah (Mrs.), shoe maker, Market place
Newbold Robert W. farmer, Riverhead
Newsome Jonathan, assurance agent, Great George st
Nicholls Hannah Margt. (Mrs.), Feathers hotel,Market pl
Nicholson John, farmer, Northfield house Oddfellows' Hall (Mrs. M. H. Nicholls, proprietress)
Pearson Thomas, cowkeeper
Pocklington   &   District   Co-operative   Society   Limited (Ernest Baldwin, manager), grocers, Market street
Pocklington & District Choral & Orchestral Society (F. E.   Nelson-Todd,  hon.   sec)
Pocklington Conservative Club (J. Boyston Booth, sec.), Railway street
Pocklington Cycle Club (Harold Judson, sec)
Pockington & District Agricultural Club (R. Richmond Young, hon. sec)
Pocklington   Floral   &   Horticultural   Society   (Thomas Grant,  see)
Pocklington  Horse   &   Foal   Show  (Thomas  S.  Thirsk, hon. sec) .
Pocklington Liberal   Club   (William Lamb,   hon.   sec.), Chapmangate
Pocklington Lawn Tennis Club (E. Norris, sec)
Pocklington Literary Society (John A. C. Boyden, sec)
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H. S. Powell, sec.); office, Regent street;   works, West green
Pocklington Water Works Co.   Lim.   (H. B. Broomhead. of Beverley,  sec.), Chapel hill
Pocklington Weekly  News   (John Whitehead, publisher; published  every   Saturday)
Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor, commissioner for oaths & sec. to the New Gas Co. Limited & clerk to Market Weighton Drainage Trustees, Regent street
Procter Christopher, grocer, Market place
Procter William Henry, milliner. Market street
Public Weighing Machine   (B.   M.  English & Son, proprietors), Market street
Read Thomas, seedsman, Union street
Rhodes Eliza (Mrs.), seed dealer, New street
Rhodes Richard, nurseryman, Mile end
Richardson Danl. agricultural implement ma. Regent st
Richardson John & William, monumental masons,New st
Robson John, coach builder & cycle agent, Union street
Robson Thomas,  solicitor,  & commissioner for oaths perpetual   commissioner, clerk to the guardians assessment committee of the Pocklington union, clerk to the Pocklington Rural District Council, to the magistrates of the Wilton  Beacon  & Holme Beacon divisions, & to the governors of the Pocklington Grammar school,  steward of the manor of Pocklington, of Barmby-upon-the-Moor & Allertborpe-with-Waplington, & agent for the Sun Fire & Life office, Waterloo buildings
Rodgers William, fried fish shop, Market street
Russell John, confectioner, Tute hill
Russell Richard, wood turner, Great George street
Sargeant Joseph, workhouse master, Burnby lane
Sargent John Thomas, solicitor & commissioner for oaths perpetual commissioner, registrar & high bailiff of county court & deputy steward of the manor of Millington with Little Givendale, Railway street
Scaife & Son, china & earthenware dealers, Market place
Scaife Ralph Johnson, auctioneer & valuer, Market place
Scaife Thomas, Liberal agent, deputy registrar of mar­riages & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank, Mar­ket place
Scaife Thomas, cab proprietor, Chapmangate
Shaw Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New street
Sherbourne  Robert,   butcher,   Waterloo  buildings
Silburn Henry, butcher, Market street
Simpson David, stamp distributor & postmaster
Simpson   Laura  E.   (Mrs.),   New  Red Lion P.H.   New pavement
Simpson Tom, cowkeeper, Great George street
Singer  Manufacturing  Co.   (Robert  S.   Dunn,   agent), Union street
Slight Frank, photographer, Railway street
Smith Jane  S.   &  Annie   (Misses),   confectioners,  Great George street
Smith W. H. & Son, news agents, Railway station
Smith Daniel, cattle dealer, Riverhead
Smith Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New pavement
Smith Frederick, butcher & farmer, Great George street
Smith James, inland revenue officer, Union street;  res. 7 York view
Smith John, cowkeeper, Bridge street
Sowerby James, monumental mason, Regent street
Sowersby Rachel (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, Chapmangate
Spink   Thomas   Greaves,   jun.   general   furnishing   iron­monger & tinner, Market street
Spivey Ralph, gas manager, West green
Stather Charles, draper, milliner, dress maker, agent for Jones's sewing machines & Dr. Jaeger's woollen goods, Market   place
Staveley George, hair dresser, Regent street
Staveley Harriett- (Mrs.), dress maker, Chapmangate
Stead & Simpson Limited, boot makers, Market place
Steel Frederick, butcher, Church lane
Steel Joseph, game dealer, Great George street
Steel Wm. Gordon, bricklayer & builder, Great George st
Steels  William ft Son,  grocers ft provision merchants, Market place
Steels George, wood carver, taxidermist ft bird preserver, London street
Steels William, leather cutter & grinder, Chapmangate
Stephenson Ellen W. (Miss), fancy repository, Market st
Stephenson Thomas Nelson, grocer, Market street
Stephenson William, police supt. Great George street
Stubbs John & Son, joiners & wheelwrights, New streeet Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths
for Pocklington sub-district,  Union street
Stubbs Walter, registrar of births & deaths for Pockling­ton  sub-district &  relieving  &  vaccination officer for the union, Union street Summerson Alfred, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the   Urban  District   Council & to the  burial board, & agent for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society & Standard Life Assurance Co. Railway street
Suddaby Tom  S.   manager of the York & East Riding Bank,   Market   place
Tayleure Arthur Pearson, Black Bull P.H. Market place
Tayleure Michael, photographer, Railway street
Thirsk & Sons, millers  (steam ft water),  corn,  cake  ft seed merchants, Anglo-Hungarian flour mills,West grn
Thomas Henry, farmer & cattle dealer, Great George st
Thompson James, milk seller, Chapmangate
Thorpe George, insurance agent, Great George street
Tinson Robert Richardson, bricklayer, Great George st
Tinson William, bricklayer, Brass Castle hill
Todd George & Son, drapers, Market place
Todd & Son,  tailors & outfitters, Market place
Todd G. Albert, cycle maker, Regent street
Todd George, grocer, New pavement
Todd Henry, blacksmith, London street
Todd John, plumber, glazier & gasfitter, Great George st
Todd Robert, cowkeeper, Great George street
Topham Mary (Mrs.), china & glass dealer, Market place
Towse Benj. B. shopkpr. & common lodging ho. Union st
Towse Benjamin B. Star inn, Market place
Turner A. (Miss), dress maker, 2 York ter. Gt. George st
Turner Charles, tailor ft outfitter, Market place
Turner John, Royal Oak P.H.  Great George street
Victoria Hall (Thomas  Grant, proprietor), Chapmangate
Volunteer   Battalion   2nd East Yorkshire  Regiment   (F Co.) (attached to Market Weighton)
Waite John, cabinet maker, Regent street
Ward Thomas, carter, Chapmangate

Whitehead   John, stationer, printer & publisher    of  " Poeklington Weekly News " & “Howdenshire Chronicle," Waterloo buildings
Wilson James, tailor, Market place
Wilson Joseph, joiner,   Chapmangate
Wilson Joseph, butcher, New pavement
Wilson Memorial Reference Library (John A. C. Boyden, sec)
Wilson William, insurance agent, 4 Kirkland street
Wood Calvert, police sergeant, Great George street
Wright Watson, wheelwright, Union street
Yorkshire   Archaeological  Society   (East   Riding branch) (Alex.  D. H.   Leadman,  hon.  local sec)
Yorkshire Penny Bank (branch) (Thos. Scaife, actuary) ; open sat. 4 to 5 p.m. New street
Young & Co. brewers & wine & spirit mers. Chapmangate

OUSTHORPE.

Briggs William
Allinson John, farmer
Hardy Robert, cattle dealer & farmer
Hewson Geo. Legard, farmer,Mill frm

YAPHAM.

Petch William Dixon, Smylett hall
Pocklington Mrs

COMMERCIAI,.
Bowers Richard,  farmer
Brigham Robert, farmer, Rowland hl
Campling Samuel, shopkeeper
Jebson James, farmer & miller (wind), Yapham grange
Johnson John, shopkeeper
Johnson Robert, farmer
Legard Joseph, farmer
Longhorne  Henry,  laundry
Matthews John, farmer
Nicholls John, farmer, Westfield frm
Parkinson Robert, farmer
Petch William Dixon, farmer & land­owner, Smylett hall
Smith William, farm bailiff to Wm. Dixon Fetch esq
Stewart John, farmer, The Hall
Ward John Robert, farmer

MELTONBY.

Askwith William, assistant overseer for Yapham-with-Meltonby & Bishop Wilton
Bielby Matthew,   cowkeeper
Drury James, farmer
English Richard M. farmer
Gibson Mark, farmer
Houslay Mrs. farmer, The Hall
Oxtoby  Thomas,  farmer
Pearson John Edward, farmer
Pearson Fred, farmer
Toder Edward H.  The Grange