Chapmangate Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
Pocklington Literary Society
The Pocklington Literary Society started in 1888 and carried on to at least 1929 when James Murdie was secretary. It was set up for lectures and knowledge improvement of the town residents and was the only one in the East Riding outside of Hull. However, from the newspaper clipping below, it can be seen that lectures were held in the Oddfellows Hall from as early as 1841. One interesting lecture was held in 1849 on electricity.
Extract from the Leeds Mercury for April 8, 1899.
The Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser, May 8, 1841
The Hull Packet and East Riding Times, January 12, 1849