Hull Daily Mail Friday, January 4th, 1929.
"MAIL" HISTORICAL MEMS.
CITY OF HULL AND DISTRICT.
Nunburnholme, on the fringe of the Wolds, is three to four miles east of Pocklington. The little township has a population of about 250 and the parish contains 1,857 acres.
It is perhaps best known to Hull citizens as the place chosen by the late Mr Charles Wilson for his title.
The village is pleasantly situated on a small stream in a picturesque neighbourhood.
In "Brunham," as it was formerly called, three of the Saxon Thanes of Edward the Confessor held the Manor of that King, Morcar, Turuet, and Turchil.
William the Conqueror took possession of it and at the time of the Domesday Survey it was lying waste, in the tenancy of the Saxon, Forne.
He died in 1130, and the plan of the church goes back to his time. Through his direct descendants, five in number, it came down to Robert of Greystoke, who married a daughter of Roger de Merlay. Baron of Morpeth, and died in 1254.
It is to this Roger. Baron of Morpeth, that the foundation of the Nunnery of Burnholme, which eventually gave it the name of Nunburnholme, is attributed. It must not be confused with Wartre Priory.
The church living of Nunburnholme was, in 1267, appropriated to the larger religious house, Wartre Priory, but, the next year, was taken into the Archbishop's hands, and has been so held to the present time.
In 1270, the Nunnery being impoverished, Archbishop Wickwane granted it a donation.
From Robert of Greystoke the Manor passed to his brother William, and then to William's son, John of Greystoke, who, in 1296, granted it to Gilbert Fitzwilliam.
After three generations of the Fitzwilliams, the fourth descendant was again a Greystoke heir, so that the Manor reverted to that family and passed down through four generations in the male line.
Finally a granddaughter of the last Greystoke carried it by marriage to Thomas Lord Dacre, who died in 1525.
It was while his son, William Dacre, held the Manor that the Dissolution of the Nunnery took place. When dissolved it had a prioress, five nuns, and twelve servants; its revenue is given by one authority as £8 1s, by another as £10 3s 3d per annum.
Its remains, or some portions of it, are then believed to have become incorporated in the mansion of Nunburnholme.
But the site was leased for 21 years, in 1538, to William Hungate, of Nunburnholme, at £4 13s per annum.
Before that lease expired the site was granted to Thomas Manners, first Earl of Rutland, and Sir Robert Tyrwhit in 1541, and the same year they alienated to' Sir Arthur Darcy, and he, 1543, to Roger Sotheby, of Pocklington.
Roger Sotheby, by his will, proved 1546, left a legacy to "the Sacrament of Noneburnham church."
The Manor, meanwhile, remained in the hands of Thomas Dacre till his death in 1566. His grand-daughter, by marriage, carried it to William Howard, who held it till his death in 1640.
His son, the first Earl Carlisle, died in 1686. the second Earl in 1690. the third in 1728, the fourth in 1758, and the fifth Earl sold the Manor to William Spenser, fifth Duke of Devonshire, who was succeeded in 1811 by William, sixth Duke.
The sixth Duke, in 1840, sold the Manor to the Railway King, Hudson, while the Priory site at this time was vested in Lord Muncaster and the Duke of Devonshire.
The old hall of the Muncasters is remembered by many as it existed before it was enlarged and rebuilt by the late Lord Nunburnholme.
In 1850 Hudson sold the estate to Albert Denison, first Lord Londesborough and it descended through the second Lord, William Francis Henry Denison to tbe third Lord, William Francis Denison, and he sold it to Mr Charles Wilson.
The Church of St. James the Great, formerly dedicated to All Hallows, contains remains the Norman period Part of an ancient stone cross taken out of its wall, is preserved the churchyard.
The National School was founded in 1854 and the Wesleyan Chapel erected in 1879.