PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Alfred Summerson
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
History of Burnby
NB: This information is sourced from Bulmers 1892 directory.

BURNBY PARISH.

Burnby is a small parish of one township, containing 1,700 acres and 115 inhabitants. It is intersected by the York, Market Weighton, and Beverley railway, which passes the west end of the village, where there is a station named Nunburnholme, to prevent any miscarriage of goods arising from a confusion of the name of this place with Burnley, in Lancashire. The soil is a rich clay, and the subsoils are clay and chalk. Wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and beans, are the principal crops, but a considerable portion of the land is laid down in grass. The rateable value is £1,761. Sir Charles Anderson, Bart., of Lea Hall, Gainsborough, is lord of the manor, and owner of the whole parish with the exception of the glebe.
The village of Burnby is small, but pleasantly situated, about two-and-three-quarter miles south-east of Pocklington, and four miles north-west from Market Weighton. The church (St. Giles) is an ancient structure of stone, exhibiting some Norman work. It consists of chancel and nave, with western bell gable, containing two bells. A covering of ivy adds picturesqueness to its venerable age. There was originally a north aisle, and marks of the four circular arches which divided it from the nave may be seen in the wall. The chancel retains it ancient triple sedilia, and a round-headed window with dog-tooth ornament. In the floor are several ancient sepulchral slabs, one of which bears the date 1683. The font is ancient, and partly built into the wall. The doorway, at the west end, was erected by the late rector. The interior was restored in 1872. The registers date from the year 1584. The living is an ancient rectory, formerly in the gift of the Lords Deyncourt, who held the manor under the Archbishops of York, .and now in the patronage of the Earl of Londesborough. It is valued in the Liber Eegis at £7 15s., and is now worth £310 net, including 48 acres of glebe, with residence. The tithe rent-charge is £242. The present rector, the Rev, John Mack Williams, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, has held the living since 1861.

Letters via Hayton, York. Wall Box cleared at 5-10 p.m. week days only. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, Pocklington (two miles).

Coghlan Rev. William Edwin, B.A., rector
Lee Mr. John, Burnby house
Kilvington Thomas, stationmaster, Nunburnholme station
Wyrill Isaac, carpenter and smith

Farmers

Adamson John
Adamson Robert
Dickinson George
Grisewood George
Holmes Henry, Syke farm
Johnson John
Pottage Thomas
Simpson Mrs. Beatrix, Burnby wold
Smith Johnathon
Stocks Charles Thomas
Thompson John, Throstle nest
Wilkinson William and Thomas