PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> 2017 AGM
> Titanic Yorkshire Links
> Burnby Lane Dig - Update
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  18th May - Thomas Cooke Optical   Instrument Maker from Allerthorpe    ** n.b. venue & date change

> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
The Co-operative Stores
Pocklington & District Industrial Co-operative Society was formed in 1904 and had its first registered offices in Waterloo buildings. A 1905 directory showed it trading in Grocery, Drapery, Boots and Shoes, Furnishing, Tailoring and flour and a membership of 140. It carried on until the Hull and East Riding Co-Operative Society took over the Pocklington Society on 29th December 1956.

Early Coop
This photograph was taken around 1905 on the corner of
Market Street and Union Street
Cooperative Bakery
The Co-operative Bakery next to the Black Swan which
was also a bakery in Easton's Directory of 1845. By 1928 as well as the bakery was a Grocery Warehouse and Coal Depot in New Street.

Cooperative Advert
A Co-operative Advert from a 1930's town guide
The Co-operative store building to the right of the picture was the Coop Hardware shop run by Mr Warburton. The Coop Butchers and Grocery was the building with five first floor windows seen to the right of the church tower. The Coop Fruit Shop was further up Market St towards Eric Buttle's Shop and to the right of The Coop Dry Cleaners! The van in front of the Coop Grocers was their delivery vehicle (Ref: Andy Hart)
The Cooperative Bishop Wilton
The Co-operative store branch in Bishop Wilton. In 1922 branches were also operating at Bugthorpe, Stamford Bridge and Melbourne. In 1940 a further branch in Wilberfoss was added.
Ormond Robinson
Ormon Robinson delivering to the outlying villages . In 1953 Mr George Haw retired after 30 years as Managing Secretary.
Ormond Robinson Retires
This story appeared in the Pocklington Times around 1975
 

If you wish to add to the story of the Co-operative store, or correct any of the above information, then please contact me.

Ref: The shop for the people - Two centuries of Co-operative Enterprise in Hull and East Yorkshire by John E. Smith. Pub. Hutton Press Ltd.