PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> The Hull blitz
> Movers and Shakers
> Alfred Summerson
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Feb - Short Talks

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Mar - The Zeppelin Raids over   York

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1901 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON,

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM, MELTONBY AND OUSTHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union town, and the head of a county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway,  204 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6¼ north-west from Market Weighton, 27 north-west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough,in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the wapen­take of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional divison, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York.

Under the provisions of the " Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted in 1893 under the " Public Health Act, 1875."
The town is lighted with gas, from works near the West Green,built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works one mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a considerable stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.

The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: there are eleven stained windows: the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy ; and there are memorial windows to members' of the Loftus and Powell families: there are still some traces of the original Norman church: the font consists of a square basin of fossilized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq, ob 1589 ; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard: on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which  translated reads:— " Here Paulinus preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of " the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved: close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwald, last prioress of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150: the nave and aisles are now (1901) being restored at a cost of £2,300: there are 600 sittings.   The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, so constituted in 1252, with, the chapelry of Yapham and Meltonby annexed, net yearly value £237, including 25 acres of glebe, witb residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1897 by the Rev. George Herbert Stock B.A. of Durham University, rural dean of Pocklington, and chap­lain to Pocklington union.
The' Catholic church, in Union street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse; it has four stained windows and sittings for 120 persons; attached to the church is a resi­dence for the priest.
There is a Congregational chapel in Ohapmangaie, with an endowment of £10 yearly, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

The Cemetery, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 2a. or. 19P. and has two small chapels, one for the Church of England and the other for Catholics and Dissenters; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial board.

The Police Court and Station, erected in 1899-1900, at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magis­trates' room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.
The Odd Fellows' Hall, in Union street, built in 1839, let for public meetings and lectures, and will hold 400 persons.

The building originally erected in 1880 for the purposes of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington.is at present occupied as a private residence. The Wilson Memorial Reference Library, was established with part of the funds collected to found the Wilson Memorial Hospital.

An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was greeted at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of the late Queen Victoria.
The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine making and brick making; there are agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neighbourhood several corn mills.

The market is held every Saturday, and is well supplied with provisions. There are four fairs held here annually for cattle—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5 th of August and the 8th of November; on the 9th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and an auction is held every alternate Monday.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the North Eastern Railway Co.: the canal, made under the provisions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.

Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy, is lord of the manor and lay rector and principal landowner, and holds a court leet, baron and copyhold court, annually: there are also a large number of small freeholders.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousthorpe. The township of Pock­lington contains 2,564 acres of land, including 75 acres taken over from Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water; rateable value, ;£11,372; the population in 1891 was 2,577, and in 1901 was 2,463, including 5 officers and 55 inmates in the workhouse, and in the parish, 2,686.

OUSTHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rectangular moated enclosure. The great tithe, amounting to £71, belongs to the Dean of York. The land is the property of Major-Gen. C. W. Duncombe and Mrs. A. B. Lamb. The area is 333 acres; rateable value, £416; the population in 1901 was 20.

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and town-ships, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north­west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and has 100 sittings. The great tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commissioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. The land belongs to various owners: 3s. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various stuns annually, in all amounting to ^10, called the Woods dole; 4s. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,888; rateable value, £2,432; the population in 1901 was 203.
Parish Clerk, George Edward Faulkner.

Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, arrive at 10.15 a-m- There is no Letter Box. The postman takes the letters about 2,45 p.m. Pocklington, a miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Parochial School (mixed), erected in i875,for 45 children; average attendance, 26; Miss Delia Millman, mistress

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.


Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B., Express Delivery, Parcel Post & Annuity & Insurance Office, Dean's lane. —John Ashby, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.15 a.m.; delivery commences at 8 a.m. & 6 p.m.; dispatched at 10.35 a.m. & 5.10 & 8.10 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes cleared as follows:
London street, 10.5 a.m. 4.50 & 7.50 p.m.; Sundays, 5-50 P-m
George street, 10.5 a.m. 4.50 & 7.50 p.m.; Sundays, 5.50 P-m
Railway Station, 10.15 a.m. & 5.5 p.m. week days only

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

Calveriey-Rudston Trevor Wheler esq. D.L. Allerthorpe hall, Pocklington, chairman
Bardwell Thomas Newman Frederick esq. M.A., S.C.L., D.L. Bolton hall, Wilberfoss, York
Calverley-Rudston William George Trevor esq. Aller­thorpe hall, Pocklington
Duncombe Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer, Kilnwick Percy, Pocklington, York
Morris Rev. Marmaduke Charles Frederick B.O.L. The Rectory, Nunburnholme, York
Wilson Charles Henry esq; M.P., D.L. Warter priory
Wright Fredk. esq. Derwent Hill, Stamford Bridge, York
The Chairmen, for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magis­trates
Clerk to the Magistrates, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month (except October), at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
The following places are included in the petty sessional division:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby. Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Milhngton, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme. Ous-thorpe. Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East,  Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoas,Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meeting day, 1st friday each month 7 p.m. at Clerk's offices, Railway Street.
Chairman, Richard Massey English.

Retire in April, 1902.
Benjamin Thompson
Thomas Read
Henry Thomas

Retire in April, 1903.
Richard Massey English
Thomas Spruce Thirsk
Christopher Procter

Retire in April, 1904.
Henry Sydney Powell
Frederick Smith
Robert Powell

Officers.
Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Railway street
Treasurer Wm. Illingworth Allison, York Union Bank
Medical Officer of Health, Alex. Ferrier Angus Fair-weather M.A., M.D., CM. Faircote house
Assistant Medical Officer of Health, Angus Fairweather M.B. Union street
Sanitary Inspector, surveyor & rate Collector, Joseph Butterworth, Railway street

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meets at the Guardians' Board room fortnightly, on
mondays, at 2.30 p.m.
Chairman, J. T. Elgey
Clerk, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Treasurer, Wm. Illingworth Allison, York Union Bank
Medical Officers of Health, Pocklington division,Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., O.M. Faircote house, Pocklington; Market Weighton division, Thomas Jewison Jefferson M.D. Market Weighton
Sanitary Inspectors & Surveyors, J. R. Greenshaw, War­ter & James Neish, 2 York view, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON UNION.

Board day, every alternate monday, at the Board room, at 2 p.m.
Pocklington union comprises the following places:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor,Bielby,Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, East Cottingwith, East Stamford Bridge, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Goodmanham, Great Given-Dale-with-Grimtborpe, Harwell, Hayton, High Catton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale-witch-Garrowby,  Londesborough-with-Easthorpe, Low Catton, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, North. Cliff,  Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton-with-Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton,  Skirpenbeck,  South Cliff, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe-le-Street, Walpington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe. The area of the union- is 110,638 acres; rateable value in 1901, £115,651; the population in 1891 was 14,579, and in 1901 was 13,709
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, J. T. Elgey, Kiln wick Percy
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington
Treasurer,  William  Illingworth  Allison,   York  Union Bank, Pocklington
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor for the Union, Walter Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington
Medical Officers &Public Vaccinators-:—Pocklington No.1 district, Alex.Dionysius Hobson Leadman L.&.C.P.& S. Edin., F.S.A. Oak house, Pocklington; No. 2 district, ilex, Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., CM. Faircote house, Pocklington; Stamford Bridge district, James Patton M.B. & CM. Long Lands, Stamford Bridge; Market Weighton, No. 1 district, Thos. Jewison Jefferson M.D. Market Weighton ; No. 2 district, Richd. Hamilton Ashwin M.D. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, William Trend Hamlyn Von Bever-houdt L.B.C.P.Edin. Elvington hall, near York, Hug-gate district, Seth Tinsley L-F.P. & S.Glas. Wet-vang, York
Superintendent Registrar, Jonathan  Chapman Lee, Great George street, Pocklington; deputy, George Edward Barlow, Market place, Pocklington
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington  sub-district, Walter Stubbs, Union  street, Pocklington ; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington; East Stam­ford Bridge sub-district, Robert Martin Butcher, Fangfoss, York; deputy, Richard Beedham, Fangfoss, York;  Market Weighton sub-district,  James F. Roantree, High street, Market Weigbton; deputy, Miss Roantree, Market Weighton
Registrar of Marriages, Frederick Lee, Market place, Pocklington; deputy, Thomas Scaife, Market place, Pockljngton
The Union Workhouse, situated on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in- 1852, at a cost of £1,608, on a site purchased for £360, it was enlarged in 1896, at a cost of £6,237, & will hold 113 inmates; in 1878 a hospital was added, for 30 patients; Joseph  Sargeant, master; Rev. George Herbert Stock B.A chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A, M.D., CM. medical officer; Mrs. Fannie Marie Sargeant, matron
School Attendance Committee.

Meets at Board room fortnightly, on m on day, at 1.30 p.m.
Clerk, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington
School Attendance Officer, Walter Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS. County Court; office, Railway street; office hours, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on Wednesdays, when it is closed at 1 p.m.; His Honor William Raikes LL.D., K.C. judge; John Thos. Sargent, registrar; Jn. Ashby, high bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magis­trates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton,- Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Giffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Der­went, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Tbixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby & youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Edward Towler Wilkinson, 28 Stonegate, York, official receiver
Certified bailiffs appointed under the " Law of Distress Amendment Act,”  Richard Massey English, Market street; Ralph Johnson  Scaife', Market place & John Joseph Kempley,  Market Weighton
County Police Office, Great George street; Geo. Jackson, superintendent & one sergeant; also one inspector & one sergeant at Market Weighton & 8 constables sta­tioned in the various villages around Cemetery, West green, Alfred Summerson, clerk, Rail­way street
Fire Brigade (T.  W. Calverley-Rudston  esq. superin­tendent), Railway street Inland Revenue Office, Union street, David Walker Odd Fellows' Hall, Union street John Glaisby, caretaker Victoria Hall, Chapman gate, Thomas Grant, proprietor Wilson Memorial Reference Library, Alexander D. H. Leadman, sec

VOLUNTEERS.

and Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment  (F, Co.), Capt. Angus Fairweather; Percy M. Stewart lieutenant; Rev. C. F. Hutton M.A. chaplain; Surgn.-Major A. F. A. Fairweather M.D. medical officer; Richard Moore, sergeant-instructor

PUBLIC OFFICERS.


Assessor of Income Tax,Jonathain  Chapman  Lee, ,Market pl
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Poor's Rates, Joseph Butterworth, Railway street
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Alexander D. H. Leadman L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. F.S.A. Oak house
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington  with Little Givendale, John Thomas Sargent, Railway street
Stamp Distributor, John Ashby, Dean's lane Steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, R. J. Hicks, Market
Weighton

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.

All Saints' Church, Rev. George Herbert Stock B.A. vicar;  Rev. William Ernest Booty M.A. curate; 8 &
10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily at & a.m.; matins 10 a.m. & evensong at 7 p.m.; services at Riverhead
Mission Room, tues. at 7.30 p.m
SS. Mary & Joseph, Catholic), Rev. Matthew O'Donoghue, priest; 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m Congregational, Rev. Alexander Farries; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m
Primitive Methodist, Rev. George Ellis & Rev. Abijah. Heaton; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m Wesleyan Methodist, Rev. W. Ernest Quicke, Rev. Jas-G. Lawrence; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; tues. 7 p.m

SCHOOLS.

The Endowed Grammar School, on West green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington,"' the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cock­ing bell, belonging, to the school, is still preserved : the. guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon  of  Suffolk (one of a family who were for  cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th  year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514); & when subsequently,  in the reign of that monarch, ail such guilds, were suppressed, the property originally left to the-guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's  family for the benefit of the school: the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made., appointed the master of the-school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation- of Mas­ter & Usher of the Free Grammar School of  Pocklington," Attached to or connected with the school are-the following scholarships & exhibitions:—1, Four Dowman exhibitions each  of £40 yearly & tenable  for 3 years at St, John’s College, Cambridge;  2, the-Bishop Crewe exhibition of £40 yearly, tenable for two years at Oxford University & open to boys from the Grammar schools of Dayentry  & Pocklington; 3„ the Worsley augmentation fund, founded  by Miss Worsley, of  Clifton, for  the augmentation of open scholarships obtained by boys on leaving & transferred hither' from Daventry school; 4. the Ackroyd exhibi­tion of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge,, may be competed for by boys from this -school; 5.  the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly  & tenable for 2 years at any  university,  are similarly open; 6, three County Council scholarship's of £60 yearly each, tenable for 2 years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at the Yorkshire College Leeds, Firth- College, Sheffield, Owens' College, Manchester, the Royal College of Science, South Kensing­ton, or  any other college  or university approved by the County Council;  7, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific or professional training. The following are tenable only at the school:—1, Eight local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £7 10s.; 2. foundation scholarships for boarders, of £20 each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, ten house scholarships, five senior & five junior, of £20 each yearly; 4, Worsley augmentation fund, founded & transferred as above, for increasing  scholarships tenable at the school; 5, a limited number of entrance scholarships at £20 each & of exhibitions of £15. The revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amount to about £1,000 a year.   The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, succeeded in con­siderably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding; of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen  M.A.: in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the manage­ment of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing board of 12 members. Under the management of the late master, the Rev. Charles Gilmour Wilkinson M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the school considerably increased in num­bers.    During   1890-91   a   gymnasium,    chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addi­tion of a new wing, at the cost of about £6,000 ; there are now (1901) about 150 boys; head master, Rev. Charles Frederick Hutton M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge;  Robert Johnson M.A.  Leonard Victor Wright M.A. H. G. Bell M.A. Percv M. Stewart B.A. Edward Caldecot Marsh M.A. F. B. Welch B.A. D. T. Picton Davies, Harry Russell & T. Breakwell B.A. as­sistant masters
National (mixed & infants), New street, erected, with bouse for the master, in 1854, at a cost of upwards of £1,444, including the value of the site, presented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners & the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe: the school will hold 160 boys & girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 130 boys & girls & 55 infants; Atkinson Skinner, master; Miss McConkey, infants' mistress
Catholic (mixed), erected in 1877, for 65 children; aver­age attendance* 26; Miss Wilson, mistress
Wesleyan Methodist (mixed), Chapmangate, erected in 1852, for 200 children; average attendance, 143; Wm. Lamb, master
Newspaper, " The Pocklington Weekly News," John Whitehead, publisher; published sat
Railway Station, West green, John Britton, master
Coal Depot, Thomas Morrill, agent

CARRIERS to; Barmby-on-the-Moor—Allison, from ' Black Bull,' sat
Bishop Wilton—Cullan & Richmond, from * Three Horse Shoes,* sat
Bishop Wilton—Swales, from ‘The Feathers,' sat Everingbam—Richard Nicholson, from 'Buck,' sat
Full Sutton—Johnson & Hop wood ,from Waterloo hotel,sat
Huggate—Francis Stevenson & Snowdon, from ‘ Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Kirby Underdale—Bayston, from ‘Three Horse Shoes,' tues Market Weight on & Goodmanham—Clark,from 'Buck.'sat
Melbourne—Thomas Kidd, from 'New Red Lion,' sat.; Garwood, from ' Black Bull,' sat Millington—Oxtoby, from ' Black Swan,' sat.; Thompson, ' Three Horse Shoes,' daily Nunburnbolme—Brown, from ' Black Bull,' sat.; Freer, from ' Oddfellows' Arms,' sat. ; Harrison, from Feathers hotel, sat
Seaton Ross—Chapman, from ‘Black Bull,' sat
Thornton—Wm. Hesselwood, from 'New Red Lion,' sat
Warter—Robert Stephenson, from ' Buck,' daily; Wm, Slater, from ' Black Bull,' sat.; Holmes, from k Black Bull,' sat.; Francis Puckering, from ' Black Swan,' sat
York—John Addison, from his house in Union street, sat.; Thomas Lister, Chapmangate, sat

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Allison William Hlingworth, Bank ho. Market place
Barlow George Edward, Chapmangate
Batley Thomas Abbey, North view
Baylis Mrs. Avenue houses
Beal John James, 1 York view
Beal Miss, Market street Bell H. G., M.A. (assistant master at Grammar school), Gt. George street
Berriman Miss, The Terrace
Bloomer Boaz, Dewsbury house
Bloomer Misses, Dewsbury house
Booty Rev. W. Ernest M.A. (curate), The Balk
Boyden John Augustus Chas. Percy rd
Brand Wm. Thos. M.B. Chapmangate
Breakwell T., B.A. (assistant master, at Grammar school), West green
Brigham John, South Moor bouse
Caris Miss, Chapmangate
Cattle Henry, Chapmangate
Cattle James, West green
Cooper Mrs. 9 York view
Curtis Mrs. Sherbutt house
Davies D. T. Picton (assistant master of Grammar school). West green
Dixon Mrs. Brunswick house
Ellis Rev. George (Primitive Metho­dist), Percy road
English Miss, Percy road
English Richard Massey, Lyndhurst
English Thomas, Mile farm
Everingham John Thos. Stamford villa
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus MA,, M.D., CM. Faircote bouse
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus, Jon. MB., CM. Union street
Farries   Rev.   Alexander   (Congrega­tional), Chapmangate
Forth Charles, Chapmangate
Foster Mrs. Great George street
Fourby John Cambidge, The Grove Fowler Thomas, Percy road
Grant Thomas, The Terrace, Union st
Heaton Rev. Abijah (Primitive Metho­dist), Percy road
Hickes Mrs. 3 York view
Horsley Miss, Market street
Hutton Rev. Charles Frederick M.A. (principal), Grammar school
Jackson Mrs. 7 York view
Jackson Mrs. Regent street
Jebson Mrs. Chapmangate
Jennings Mrs. 10 York view .
Johnson Robert M.A. (second master), Grammar school 
Kelsey Miss, Great George street 
Laister John William, The Grove
Lawrence Rev. James G. (Wesleyan Methodist), Chapmangate
Leadman Alexander Dionysius Hobson F.S.A. Oak house
Marsh Edward Caldecot MA. (as­sistant master of Grammar school), Wilberforce lodge O'Donoghue Rev. Matthew (Catholic), Union street
Powell Henry Sydney, Regent street
Quicke Rev.  W. Ernest (Wesleyan Methodist), Chapmangate
Richardson George Fredk. The Briars
Richardson Mrs. Myrtle grove
Robson Thomas, Pembroke lodge
Robson Wm. Jackson, Prospect house
Russell   Harry   (assistant  master), Grammar school
Sandwith Mrs. Ashland house
Sargent John Thomas, Avenue houses
Scaife Frank, Neswick villa
Seller Mrs. Market place
Shooter Miss, Chapmangate
Shutt George, Bainton villa
Singleton Miss, Brunswick place
Singleton Mrs. Teresa cottage
Smith Mrs. Chapmangate
Smithson Francis, Dolman house
Steels Mrs. Market place
Stephenson Mrs. Chapmangate
Stewart Mrs. Percy road
Stewart Percy M.,B.A. (assistant mas­ter of Grammar school), The Elms
Stock Rev. George Herbert B.A. (vicar, rural dean of Pocklington, & chap­lain to the workhouse}, The Grove
Suddaby Tom S. Market  place
Summerson Alfred, Wilberforce house
Summerson Dawson, Oakdene house
Swallow Richd. Shadrack, Percy road
Thirsk James, Percy road
Thirsk Richard, Riverhead
Thomas Robert, Chapmangate
Thompson John, The Grove
Thompson Benjamin, 6 York view
Todd George, 4 York view
Welch F. B., B.A. (assistant master), Grammar school
West Miss, 8 York view
Weston Thomas Wilson, Redhouse
Wright Leonard Victor M.A. (assistant master). Grammar school
Young Robt. Richmond, Chapmangate I

COMMERCIAL.

Adamson Thomas Henry, grocer, Great George street
Addison John, carrier, Union street
Agnew Hannah (Mrs.), Waterloo hotel, Waterloo lane
Allison William Illingwortb, manager of York Union Bank & treasurer to the Urban & Rural District Councils & Union, Market place
Ashby John, high bailiff to the county court, stamp distributor & postmaster, Dean's lane Atkinson Hannah (Mrs,), apartments, Brass Castle bill
Bailey Charles, dentist; attends on sat. at Miss Horsley's, Market street
Barker George Henry, shopkeeper, Chapmangate
Barlow George Edward, chemist & druggist & deputy superintendent registrar, Market place Barnby Jemima (Miss), pianoforte teacher, Chapmangate
Barnes George, farmer, Toft house
Baxter John, tailor, Market street
Beal John James, agricultural engineer &  machine owner, York view & Sutton-upon-DerwentBeal Richard, butcher & farmer, Peters square
Beckett  & Co. York & East Riding Bank (branch) (Tom S  Suddaby, manager), Market place;   open  daily  10 to 3, wed.  10 to 1, sat. 10 to 6;  draw  on Glyn,  Mills, Carrie' & Co.  London E C
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house
Bentley  Jn. Edwd. fellmngr. & Old Red Lion P.H.Regent st
Bielby William, boot maker, Great George street
Bloomer Kate & Louise (Misses), private school, Dewsbury  house, Union street
Booth Joe Royston, registration  agent &  sec. to the Howdensaire ConservativeAssociation, 6 York view
Booth Sam, managing clerk, Prospect place
Bown J. L. (Mrs.), private school, St. John's lodge
Boyd en John Augustus Charles, chemist & wine & spirit merchant, Market place
Brabiner William, greengrocer, New pavement
Braithwatte William, boot maker, Bloomsbury
Brand William Thomas M.B., B.S.Lond. & B.A.O.R.U.I. surgeon, Chapmangate
Brigham George, chemist & wine & spirit mer. Market pl
Brigham John M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, South Moor house
Britten John, station master, Railway  station
Brook John Edmondson, plumber, New pavement
Browne Harriott (Mrs.), grocer, market place
Burdett George, grocer, Chapmangate
Burkitt William, baker, Market place
Butterworth Joseph, sanitary  inspector, surveyor & rate collector to the Urban District Council & assistant over­seer, Railway  street
Buttle Charles, butcher & shopkeeper, Union street
Buttle Herbert, teacher of music, Union street
Cains Francis George, clerk, Prospect ho. Riverhead
Cains Hy. Parkin, miller (steam & water), Devonshire mill
Cattle E. & Co. brewers & spirit mers. Chapmangate
Cemetery (Alfred Summerson, clerk), West green
Christian Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, London street
Coal Depot (Thomas Morrill, agent), Railway station
Conyers John £ Son, gun makers, Market street
Cook William, baker & flour dealer, Regent street
Coulson Hall, butcher, New street
Crusher Mary  (Mrs.), hosier & glover, Market street
Cundall  Robert & Co. chemists & manufactrs. of bone manures, sheep dips & cattle medicines. Market street
Cundall Edward, pig dealer, Chapmangate
Denny  George, corn, manure, insurance & general com­mission agent, Great George street
Denny  Hannah (Miss),  grocer,  Kirkland street
Dixon Christopher, farmer, Grange
Duggleby Thomas, farmer, Clayfield
Dunn Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, Union street
Dunwell Alban, brick maker, Burnby lane
Easton James, blacksmith, Church lane
Easton John, saddle & harness maker, Market place
Eastwood Robert, carter, Chapmangate
Endowed Grammar School (Rev. Charles F. Hutton, M.A. head master; for assistant masters see p. 541), West green
English R. M. & Son, auctioners & valuers, millers, corn, seed & manure merchants, Market street & at Market Weighton; attend markets at Leeds, York & Wakefld
Everingham John Thomas, tailor, Railway street
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.A., M.D. & CM. Aberd. physician, medical officer & public vaccinator, No. 2 district, Pocklington union, & medical officer of health to the Urban  & Rural District Councils & medical officer to the workhouse, Faircote house
Fairweatber Alexander Ferrier Angus, jun. M.B. & CM. Aberd, aurgeon, & assistant medical officer to the Urban District Council, Union street
Fairrweather Tom, horse breaker, Union street
Faulkner George Edward, plumber. New pavement
Fielder John, joiner, London street
Forth William & Charles, printers, bookbinders, book­sellers, stationers, music sellers, news agents & fancy goods depot, Market place
Foster John Allen, boot maker, Market place
Foster William, cowkeeper, Balk
Fowler George Henry, travelling draper, Union street
Fowler Thomas, draper, Market place
Gautry Frank, draper, Market place
Gibson & Co. sack contractors, Regent street
Gibson George Henry, ironmonger & tinner & insurance agent, Regent street
Gill Bartholomew, shopkeeper & coal dealer, Market st
Gilson Thomas, watch maker, Church lane
Gilson William, watch maker, Market place
Gilyead James William, bookkeeper. Great George street
Glaisby John, Three Horse Shoes P.H. Market street
Gray Richard, saddlar, Peter's square
Gray William, tailor, Railway street
Grant Thomas, builder, Station yard; cabinet maker, Waterloo buildings; timber merchant & dealer in all kinds of building materials & china & glass ware­house, Union street
Greig George, Buck hotel. Market place
Hadfield John Henry, hair dresser, Markpt place
Hagyard Annie (Mrs.), confectioner, Market place
Hagyard John Thomas, grocer, Market place
Harrison & Co. agricultural engineers & implement mas. Great George street
Harrison Albert E. Wellington Oak inn, Riverhead
Harrison Michael, common lodging house, Dean's lane
Hatfield James, shopkeeper & agent for the Pearl Life Assurance Co. Limited, New pavement
Higlett Elizabeth (Mrs.), confectioner, Market place
Higlett John William, boot & shoe dealer, Market place
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr farm
Hotham Harry, boot maker, Smithy hill
Hotham Charles, butcher, New Pavement
Howdenshire Chronicle, Pocklington Weekly News & Market Weighton Advertiser (John Whitehead, pub­lisher; published sat)
Howdenshire Conservative Association (J. Royston Booth, sec), 6 York view
Inland Revenue Office (David Walker), Union street
Jackson George, supt. of police, Great George street
Jacques Thomas, farmer, Riverhead
Jameson William, tailor, Market street
Jarvis John, butcher & Odd Fellows' Arms P.H. Union st
Jebson William Henry, veterinary surgeon, Wesley place
Johnson Ada (Miss), dress maker, Great George street
Johnson Ann (Mrs.), Railway inn, Railway street
Johnson Francis, Black Swan P.H. & rope, twine & net maker, Market place
Johnson George, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Johnson Henry, boot maker, Union street
Johnson James, fruiterer &c. Great George street
Johnson William Turner, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Judson Annie (Mrs.), grocer, Market place
Kendall Henry, joiner, Cross Keys P.H. Market street
Kendall John, Star inn, Market place
Laister Joseph & Son, rope & twine makers, Market pl. & New street
Lamb Herbert Mus.Bac..Oxon. teacher of music.The Grove
Lamb John & Son, painters & paperhangers, Railway st
Lamb John T. professor of music, Railway  street
Leadman Alexander Dionysius Hobson L.R.C.P.& S.Edin. F.S.A. surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 1  district, Pocklington union & certifying factory surgeon, Oak house
Ledgard Hannah (Miss), smallware dealer, Market st
Lee Jonathan Chapman, grocer, confectioner & china warehouse & assessor of income tax. Market place & superintendent registrar, Great George street
Lee Fred, cycle agent, tobacconist & registrar of mar­riages, Market place
Lister John, cab proprietor, Great George street
Lister Joseph, carter, Regent street
Lister Robert Jackson, hair dresser, New pavement
Lister Thomas, carrier, Chapmangate
Lockwood Benjamin, chimney sweeper, Waterloo square
Lundy & Son, watch makers, Railway street
Magee John, fishmonger, Bridge street
Manners Chrstphr. saddler & harness ma. New pavement
Moor J. & Son, blacksmiths & implement mas. Dean's la
Moore Richard, sergt.-instructor of volunteers, Burnby la
Morrill Thomas, coal agent, Railway station
Morris Henry, grocer, Chapmangate
Neish James, sanitary inspector & surveyor to the Rural District Council, 2 York view
Nelson Hannah (Mrs.)-, shoe maker, Market place
Newsome Jonathan, assurance agent, Great George street
Nicholls Charles, boarding & commercial academy, Sherbutt House school
Nicholls E. (Mrs.), young ladies' school, Sherbutt house
Nicholls Hannah (Mrs.), Feathers hotel, Market place
Nicholson John, farmer, Northfield house Oddfellows' Hall (John Glaisby, caretaker), Union street Pattinson John, police sergeant, Great George street
Pearson Thomas, cowkeeper
Pocklington & District Choral & Orchestral Society (F.E. Nelson-Todd, hon. sec)
Pocklington Conservative Club (J. Royston Booth, sec.), Railway street
Pocklington Cycle Club (Thomas Scaife, sec)
Pocklington & District Agricultural Club (R. Richmond Young, hon. sec)
Pocklington Floral & Horticultural  Society  (Thomas Scaife, sec)
Pocklington Horse & Foal Show(Richd.M.English,hon.sec)
Pocklington Liberal Club (Wm. Lamb, hon. sec), Chap­mangate
Pocklington Lawn Tennis Club (E. Norris, sec)
Pocklington Literary Society (Alexander D. H. Leadman F.S.A. sec)
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H. S. Powell, sec.); office, Regent street; works, West green Pocklington Shire Horse Co. (B. Hardy, manager)
Pocklington Water Works Co. Lim. (H. B. Broomhead, of Beverley, sec), Chapel hill
Pocklington Weekly News (John Whitehead, publisher; published every Saturday)
Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor & sec. to the New Gas Co. Limited, Regent street
Public Weighing Machine (R. (M. English & Son proprietors), Market street
Procter Christopher, grocer, Market place
Procter William Henry, milliner. Market street
Read Thomas, seedsman, Union street
Rhodes Eliza (Mrs.), seed dealer, New street
Rhodes John Thomas, painter, Market street
Rhodes Richard, nurseryman. Mile end
Richardson Daniel, agricultural implement ma. Regent st
Richardson George Frederick, draper, Market place
Richardson John & William, monumental masons, New st
Richardson Leonard James, bill poster, 7  Kirkland street
Robson John, coach builder & cycle agent, Union street
Robson Thomas, solicitor, & commissioner for oaths  & perpetual commissioner,  clerk to the guardians  & assessment & school attendance committees of the Pocklington union, clerk to the Pocklington Rural Dis­trict Council, to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme Beacon divisions, & to the governors of the Pocklington Grammar school, steward of the manor of Pocklington, of Barmby-upon-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, & agent for the Sun Fire k Life office, Waterloo buildings
Robson William Jackson, grocer & draper, Market place
Russell John, confectioner, Tute hill
Russell Richard, wood turner, Great George street
Sargent John Thomas, solicitor & commissioner for oaths & perpetual commissioner, registrar of county court & deputy steward of the. manor of Millington with Little Givendale, Railway street
Sargeant John, workhouse master, Burnby lane
Scaife & Son, china & earthenware dealers, Market place
Scaife Ralph Johnson, auctioneer & valuer, Market place
Scaife Thomas, insurance agent, deputy registrar of mar­riages & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank, Mar­ket place
Scaife Thomas, cab proprietor, Chapmangate
Shaw Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New street
Sherboume Robert, butcher, Waterloo buildings
Sheridan Robert Henry, hawker, Grape lane
Shutt George, cart & wagon builder, joiner & saw mills proprietor, London street
Silbum Henry, butcher, Market street
Simpson .Alfred, New Red Lion P.H. New pavement
Simpson Tom, cowkeeper, Great George street
Singer Manufacturing "Co.  (Robert S.  Dunn, agent), Union street
Slight Frank, photographer, Railway street
Smith W. H. & Son, news agents, Railway  station
Smith Marian & Anne Elizabeth (Misses), confectioners, Great George street
Smith Daniel cattle dealer, Riverhead
Smith Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New pavement
Smith Frederick, butcher & farmer, Great George street
Smith John, cowkeeper, Bridge street
Sowerby James, monumental mason, Regent street
Sowersby Rachel (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, Chapmangate
Spink Thomas Greave, jun. general furnishing iron-manger & tinner, Market street
Spivey Ralph, gas manager, West green
Stather Charles, draper, milliner, dress maker, agent for Jones's sewing machines & Dr. Jaeger's woollen goods, Market place
Stavely Harriett (Mrs.), dress maker, Chapmangate
Stead & Simpson Limited, boot makers, Market street
Steel Frederick, butcher, Church lane
Steel Joseph, game dealer, Great George street
Steel Wm. Gordon, bricklayer & builder, Great George at
Steels George, wood carver & taxidermist, London street
Steels William & Son, curriers & leather cutters, Chapmangate & grocers, Market place
Stephenson Ellen W. (Miss), fancy repository, Market st
Stephenson Maud (Miss), draper, Market street
Stephenson Thomas Nelson, grocer, Market street
Stubbs John & Son, joiners & wheelwrights, New street
Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district, Union street Stubbs Walter, registrar of births & deaths for Pockling­ton sub-district & relieving  & vaccination officer for the union & school attendance officer, Union street
Summerson Alfred, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the Urban District Council & to the burial board, & agent for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society & Standard Life Assurance Co. Railway street
Suddaby Tom S. manager of the York & East Riding Bank, Market place
Tayleure Arthur Pearson, Black Bull P.H. Market place
Tayleure Michael, photographer, Railway street
Theakston Henry M.R.C.V.S. vet. surgeon, Gt. George st
Thirsk James & Son, millers (steam & water), Anglo-Hungarian flour mills, West green
Thirsk David, traveller, Burnby lane
Thomas Henry, farmer & cattle dealer, Great George st
Thompson Benjamin, grocer, Market place
Thompson James, milk seller, Chapmangate
Thompson John Wm. chimney sweeper, Church lane
Thorpe George, insurance agent, St. George street
Tinson Robert Richardson, bricklayer, Great George st
Tinson William, bricklayer, Brass Castle hill
Todd George & Son, drapers, Market place
Todd & Son, tailors & outfitters, Market place
Todd G. Albert, cycle maker, Regent street
Todd George, grocer, New pavement
Todd Henry, blacksmith, London street
Todd John, plumber, glazier & gasfitter, Great George st
Todd Robert, cowkeeper, Great George street
Topham Mary (Mrs.), china k glass dealers, Market pl
Towle Thomas, fishmonger, Great George street
Towse Benj .R. shopkeeper & common lodging ho .Union st
Turner & Co. tailors & outfitters, Market place
Turner John, Royal Oak P.H. Great George street
Turner A. (Miss), dress maker, 2 York ter. Gt. George st
Victoria Hall (Thomas Grant, proprietor), Chapmangate
Volunteer Battalion 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment (F Company, Capt. Angus Fairweather; Richard Moore, ser­geant-instructor) Waite John, cabinet maker, Regent street Walker David, inland revenue officer, Union street
Watson Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Tute street
Whitehead John, stationer, printer & publisher of the Pocklington Weekly News, Waterloo buildings Wilson James, tailor, Market place
Wilson Joseph, joiner, Chapmangate
Wilson Joseph, butcher, New pavement
Wilson Mark, coal dealer, Chapmangate
Wilson Memorial Reference Library (Alex. D. H. Lead-man, sec)
Wilson William, insurance agent, 4 Kirkland street
Wright Watson, wheelwright, Union street
York Union Banking Co. Lim. (branch) (Wm. Illingwortb Allison, mgr.; open daily 10 to 3. weds. 10 to 1, sats. 10 to 6, Market place1; draw on Glyn, Mills, Carrie & Co. London E C
Yorkshire Penny Bank (branch) (Thos. Scaife, actuary);
open sat. 4 to 5 p.m. New street
Yorkshire Archaeological Society (East Riding branch) (Alex. D. H. Leadman, hon. local sec)
Young & Co. brewers & wine & spirit mers. Chapmangate'

OUSTHORPE.

Hardy Robert, cattle dealer  & farmer
Hewson Geo. Legard, farmer Mill frm

YAPHAM.

Pocklington Mathew
Petch William Dixon, farmer & land­owner, Smylett hall

Commercial
Bowers Richard, farmer
Brigham Robert, farmer, Rowland hl
Campling Samuel, shopkeeper
Jebson James, farmer & miller (wind), Yapham grange
Johnson John, shopkeeper
Johnson Robert, farmer
Legard Joseph, farmer
Matthews John, farmer
Nichols John, farmer
Parkinson Robert, farmer
Petch William Dixon, farmer & land­owner, Smylett hall
Smith  John, farm bailiff to William  Dixon Petch  esq
Stewart John, farmer, The Hall
Ward John, farmer

 

MELTONBY.

Askwith William, assistant overseer for Yapham-with-Meltonby  & Bisbop Wilton
Bielby Matthew   cowkeener
English Richard M. farmer
Houslay John, farmer, The Hall
Oxtoby Thomas, farmer
Pearson Fred, farmer
Pearson Charles, farmer
Rickell William, farmer
Toder Edward H. The Grange