PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
> 2017 AGM
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1937 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM AND MELTONBY AND OUSETHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market town and is the head of a rural district and county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 198 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6¼ north­west from Market Weighton, 27 north-west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional division, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry and diocese of York.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted under the Public Health Act, 1875, by Local Government Board Order No. 29,872, dated July 1st, 1893, but by the County of York, East Riding Review Order, 1935, this was abolished
On Oct. 1st, 1901, by Local Government Board Order No. 42,567, part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.
The town is lighted with gas from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works 1 mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works
Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a consider­able stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower (restored in 1913), with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, but traces of the Norman church still exist: there are several stained windows: the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy; and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: the font consists of a square basin of fossilized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard: on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which translated reads:— '• Here Paulinus preached in the year 627 :" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of " the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved: close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwold, last prioress out one o[ t Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 father restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150 the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cnst of £3,600: a memorial tablet was erected in 1920 to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 600 sittings. The re­gister dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, so constituted in 1252, with the chapelries of Yapham and Meltonby and Ousethorpe annexed, joint net yearly value £370, including 21 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Ernest Albert Page M.A. of Exeter College Oxford.
The Roman Catholic church, in London street, dedi­cated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfleld, of Sheffield, and consists of nave -with eastern apse: there are five stained windows, one of which was presented by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk: an organ gallery, the gift of the late Mrs. Thompson, of Pocklington, was erected in 1907: a .stained window representing the Crucifixion, was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men connected with the church who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 120 sittings, and attached is a residence for the priest.
The Congregational chapel in Chapmangate, erected in 1807, has an endowment of £60 yearly, bestowed by John Jackson, d. 1874, and will seat 350 persons; there is also a Methodist chapel in Chapmangate, and another in Union street, and the Plymouth Brethren meet in the Assembly Hall in Kirkland street.
The Burial Ground, Cemetery lane, opened in 1857, contains 6a. 1r. 10p. and has two small chapels, one for the church of England and the other for Dissenters; it is under the control of the Parish Council, acting as a burial authority.
The Police Court and Station, in George street, erected in 1899-1900 at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise acourt room, magistrates' room, a witnesses' waiting room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.

The Masonic Hall, situated in The Mile, can be let for public meetings &c.

The Central Hall, in Peter's square, is used as a cinematograph theatre, and will hold about 350 persons.

The Assembly Hall, in Kirkland street, will hold 150 people.

An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

The local trade includes agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neighbourhood several corn and pearl barley mills.
The market is held every Saturday. There are four fairs held here annually—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November ; on the 8th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and the auction is held every Tuesday.
There are charities left by Henry Powell (1895), Mrs Isabella Moor, Mrs. Ann Blackwell (1732), Bobert Chapman (1718), Dr. Henry Watkinson, Mr. John Moor, William Westoby, John Seymour and John Cole, which are  distributed  by  the  Parish  Council.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the London and North Eastern Railway Company: the canal, made under the pro­visions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.
The trustees of the late Capt. Harry Whitworth are lords of the manor and hold a court leet, baron and copyhold court: there are also a large number of small freeholders.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousethorpe. The area is 2,623 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 2,640, and of the ecclesiastical parish 2,786.

OUSETHORPE is 1½ miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rectangular moated enclosure, wherein once stood the mansion of a branch of the Aske family of " Pilgrimage of Grace" fame. The rectorial tithe rent-charge, amounting to £52, and the agistment tithe rent-charge of £19, belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The vicarial tithe rent-charge of £4 is the property of the trustees of the late Capt. Harry Whitworth.
By the County of York, East Riding Review Order, 1935, this township was transferred to Millington.
Letters through Pocklington, the nearest M. O. & T. office

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pockling­ton parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the later 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and restored about 1904, at a cost of .£400, and has 100 sittings. The great or rectorial tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and under an instrument of apportionment, dated 12 June, 1844, a sum of £204 18s. 9d. has been assigned to the benefice of Pocklington, and the rest retained by the Commissioners towards the payment of a curate. The glebe land here amounts to 21 acres, and £10 a year, given by a former dean of York, also belongs to the benefice. Here is a Methodist chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commis­sioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. Richard L. English esq. is the principal land­owner: 35. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 4s. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The area is 1,888 acres; the population in 1931 was 207.
By the County of York, East Riding Review Order, 1935, this township was re-named Yapham.
Letters are delivered at Yapham from Pocklington & at Meltonby. Pocklington is the nearest M. O. & T. office

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS,   LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. O., T.   &   T. E. D.   Office, Market   street. Letters through York

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

(For addresses  of  magistrates,  see  complete  list  at front of book.)
Halifax    Viscount    E.G., P.O., G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E
Alvin Herbert
Halifax Lady
Procter Christopher
Sands Percy Cooper M.A
Sawyer Arthur
Smith Frederick
Stubbins Henry Edward
Thirsk Thomas Spruce

The Chairman, for the time being, of the Pocklington Rural District Council, is ex-officio magistrate Cleric   to   the    Magistrates,    Albert   Edwin   Young, Waterloo buildings.

Petty   Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
The following places are included in the petty sessional division :—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Bnrnby, High & Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby. Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Havton. Hnggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-u'pon-Derwent, Nun-burnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.

The    townships in the District are:—Allerthorpe, Barmby Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bugthorpe or Buckthorpe, Catton, Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Goodmanham, Hayton, Huggate, Kirby Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Nunburnholme, Pocklington, Sancton, Seaton Boss, Shipton Thorpe, Skirpenbeck, South Cliffe, Stamford Bridge, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thornton, Warter, Wilberfoss & Yapham. Area 101,518 acres; population in 1931, 12,689
Council meets at the Guardians' Board room monthly, on tuesdays, at 1.30 p.m.
Chairman,   Henry Edward Stubbins J.P. Thornton grange, Melbourne, York

Officials.

Clerk, Arthur J. Oliver, Grove house, Pocklington
Treasurers  Barclays Bank   Ltd
Medical   Officer   of   Health,   Alexander   Ferrier   Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green, Pocklington
Sanitary   Inspector,   James   M.   Murdie   M.I.S.A.   Alnbank, The Mile, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON   GUARDIANS   COMMITTEE.

Meets monthly at the Board room, at 1.30 p.m.
The area comprises Pocklington Rural District.
Chairman,  Rev. H. B. Robinson M.A. The Vicarage, Londesborough
Clerk, Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street, Pocklington
Relieving  Officer, Robert Bottomley, The Mile, Pock­lington
Medical   Officers & Public Vaccinators:—Pocklington district, A. F. A. Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green, Pocklington; Stamford Bridge district, P. M. Sawkill M.B., Ch.B. Longlands, East Stamford Bridge, York; Market Weighton district, B. H. Ashwin M.D.Lond., M.B.C.S.Eng. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, W. J. Carmichael M.B., C.M.Aberd. Elvington, near York; Huggate district, J. Perrin Brown M.B., Ch.B.Leeds, Wetwang, York
The Pocklington Institution, erected in 1852, enlarged in 1896, will hold 113 inmates; in 1878 a hospital was added: Rev. Ernest Albert Page M.A. hon. chaplain; A. F. A. Fairweather M.D., C.M. medical officer; James Walter Curtis, master

POCKLINGTON REGISTRATION  DISTRICT.

Superintendent Registrar,  Albert Edwin Young, Water­loo buildings, Pocklington; deputy, Edward Holman, Waterloo buildings
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, (interim), Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street; East Stamford Bridge sub-district, George William Etherington, Wilberfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, Miss Annie Roantree, High street, Market Weighton
Registrar   of Marriages, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate, Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Burial   Ground,   Cemetery   lane,   Joseph   Butterworth. clerk, Regent house
County   Court; office, The Balk, Pocklington; office hours, on thursday only, from 10.30 a.m. to 4 p.m.: His Honour Sir Reginald Mitchell Banks K.C judge; Frank Perkins LL.B. registrar & high bailiff; Francis G. Cains, bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magistrates' room. Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith. Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton. Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sanc­ton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Boss, Shipton. Skirpenbeck Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby, Youlthorpe cum-Gowthorpe, Holme-on-Spalding Moor & Saytham
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in tha of York; William Arthur Kay, High Ousegate, York official receiver
Certified Bailiff appointed under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate
Fire Brigade, The Pavement
Police Office, George street

TERRITORIAL ARMY. The  Green  Howards   (Alexandra,   Princess  of  Wales's Own Yorkshire Eegiment), 5th Battn. (No. n, Platoon C   (S)   Coy.),   Drill   hall,   Barmby   road;   Capt.   G. Widdowson, commanding officer

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Certifying Factory Surgeon, Alexander Ferrier A.  Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green
Deputy Steward of the Manors of Millington with Little Givendale, Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Fridaythorpe-with-Goodmanham & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Albert Edwin Young, Waterloo buildings tlinistry of Labour Employment Office, 5 George street, , manager
School  Attendance Officer, George H. Mason, Holme lodge, Garth End
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, Bobert J. Hickes F.B.C.V.S., J.P. Market Weighton

PLACES OF WORSHIP.

All Saints' Church, Bev. E. A.  Page M.A.  vicar; Rev. S. Jellicoe B.A. curate
SS.   Mary   &   Joseph   Roman   Catholic,   London   street, Rev. Thomas Noone, parish priest
Congregational Methodist, Rev.  P. Walpole, supt Methodist, Eev. J. P. Illingworth, supt Plymouth Brethren, Assembly hall, Kirkland street

EDUCATIONAL.

The   Endowed Grammar School, on West Green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cocking bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved: the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514); & when sub­sequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the "Corporation of Mas­ter & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pock­lington." Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions:—1, Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tenable for 4 years at St. John's College, Cambridge ; 2, the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly & tenable for 4 years at any university, are similarly open ; 4, three County Council scholarships of £60 yearly each, tenable for 3 years, by natives of or residents in the East Biding, at any college or university approved by the County Council The following are tenable only at the school:—1, Ten local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £10 ; 2, entrance scholarships for boarders, of £20 to £50 each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, a limited number of entrance exhibitions of £10 to £15 The revenues of the school arose mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amounted to about £1,000 a year; the land has since been sold & the proceeds invested. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, suc­ceeded in considerably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A.: in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing body of 12 members. Alderman F. Smith J.P chairman; Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street, clerk to the gover­nors. During 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, &; in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addition of a new wing, at a cost of about £6,000; in 1921 a swimming bath was added & in 1923 Dolman house was bought as an additional boarding house; in 1927 a new Assembly hall was built; in 1932 new laboratories, class rooms & art rooms were added at a cost of £7,500, and extra common room accommodation provided; these were opened by 3rd Viscount Halifax K.G-., P.O., G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E.: there are now (1937) three boarding houses & about 185 boys;  head  master,  Percy  Cooper  Sands  M.A., J.P. late fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge

Railway  Station, West Green (L. & N. E)

CARRIERS to:
Hull—Arthur Stephenson, tnes. & fri
York—Robert Milner, from 44 George street, daily

CONVEYANCE.
Everingham Bros, to York & surrounding villages, daily Bailey's omnibuses, to surrounding villages, daily Omnibuses pass through for York, Hull & Leeds, daily

PRIVATE   RESIDENTS.

(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Allen    E.    T.    E.,    M.A.    Grammar school, West green
Allison Alfred, Corner cottage,Mile rd
Allison Harold, Wyn Garth, Algarth av
Allison   Harry,   Uplands,  The   Mile
Allison Joseph, Silverthorne, Algarth avenue
Amdor    Alfred    M.B.,     Ch.B.Edin. Gifford, Algarth avenue
Askwith Mrs.  B.  G. Whenby house, Garth end
Barlow Walter, Avenue ho. Percy rd
Bedford   Tom,   Lynden   villa,   Garth end
Bottomley  A.   G.,  St.  John's  lodge, Barmby road
Bottomley Robert, Roydene, Percy rd
Brook   Mrs.   Ellen,   Hill   crest,   Yapham road
Butterworth   Joseph,   Rosedene,   The Mile
Carlton Mrs. 7 York view
Cattle  William   W.   3   York  view
Cliff Reginald, Westfield, West green
Cundall  Thos.  Bowser, 40 Market pl
Dale Charles William, 1 York view
Davidson Wm. Miller, 4 York view
Derbyshire   J.   H.,   B.Sc.   Grammar school, West green
Dixon Gordon, Norton-royd, Algarth avenue
Dobson    Clarence,   Budstone   house, Barmby road
Eeles Mrs.  M.  E.  Perrymount,   The Mile
Elliott James, Wayside, The Mile
English Thomas, Lyndhurst
Evans   Frederick   Percy,    Gainford, Algarth avenue
Evans John Sugdon, The Bungalow, Burnby  lane
Everingham   Mrs.,    Stamford   villa, Barmby road
Everingham       Sydney,       Gowanlea, Barmby road
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.D. Faircote, West green
Forth A. J. 21 The Grove J Fowler Alexander E. Wilton house
Fowler Alexander E. Wilton house
Gilson Percy,  10 York view
Gilyead H. R., Hosmer lo. Percy rd
Glossop     Harry,     Karaburun,     The Mile
Glossop William, The Mile
Goodricke   Charles   Coote,   Barclays Bank house, Market place
Grainger Ernest, 25 New street
Grainger George William, 25 New st
Haw George W.  Wilberforce house, West green
Heninghem      George      Hemingsley, Danetre, Garth's end
Heninghem     Thomas    George,     The Gables, The Mile
Hesslewood Arthur M. Station house
Hickes    Johnson,    Berkeley    house, Maxwell road
Hodgson  Herbert,  Martindale,  Max­well road
Houslay Walter H. Wold view, Yapham road
Hudson Mrs. Sarah, 5 York view
Illingworth Rev.   J.   P.   (Methodist), The Manse, Chaprnangate
Isherwood   Kenneth   Neville,   Ingle-dene, The Balk Jellicoe   Rev.   Sidney   B.A.   (curate), Algarth lodge, The Mile
Keenleyside   George  William,   North view, Barmby road
Kempley Misses,  23 The Grove
Knowles Oliver, Panel house.Percy Td
Laister Percy,  Sunnybank, The Mile
Marshall Mrs., Dagfield,  Garths End
Megginson Wm. Mile farm, The Mile
Meynell Herbert,  17 Chaprnangate
Midgley    Thomas    Henry,   Holmlea, Yapham road
Muirhead James A. 31 Chapmangate
Noone Rev.   Thomas  (Roman  Catho­lic), The Presbytery, London st
Oliver  Arthur John,   Thurnby  villa, Garth's end
Page     Rev.     Ernest     Albert     M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage, The Grove
Pay  Thomas   W.,   M.A.   Wilberforce lodge, West green
Pearson Fred, Beechwood, The Grove
Petch Miss,   Sunnyside,  Railway st
Procter  Christopher J.P.   16  Market place
Procter Mrs., Pexton house.Percy rd
Richardson Daniel,  9 York view
Sands   Percy   C.,   M.A.,   J.P.   (head master),    Grammar   school,   West green
Sawyer    Arthur     J.P.     Southview, Barmby road
Saxby Charles.St.Quentin,Garth's end
Scaife Francis,   Neswick   villa
Scaife Harold, Ryedale, Garth's end
Scaife   Thomas,  Ebor   house,   Chap­mangate
Scott  John,   Prospect   house,   Chap­mangate
Sherbourne   Ronald,   Burleigh,   The Mile
Silburn Misses, Prospect villa, Chap­mangate
Smith Fredk. J.P. Red ho.Yapham rd
Smithson Thos. Herbt. 35 George st
Snaith R. E. Dolman house
Stather Charles, Moonta, Algarth av
Stewart Maj. Percy M., M.A.Burnby hall
Stewart    John,    Bloomsbury    house. The Balk
Stubbings H.  E.  Shaunlea, Maxwell road
Stubbs  Reginald  M.,   Mervene,   The Mile
Suddaby   Mrs.    Violet   Myrtle,    The Laurels, The Mile
Thirsk   Donald   S.   The   Woodlands, The Mile
Thirsk   Harry,   The    Groves,    West Green
Thirsk    Thomas    Spruce   J.P.    The Groves, West Green
Thornham    Evelyn    Leonard,    Grasmere, Garth's End
Walkington     Mrs.,      St.     Norberts. Percy road
Walpole Rev. P. (Methodist), Bourne house, Union street
Westwood    Edgar,    Acacia    cottage, The Mile
Willis Alfred, Bransdale, Garth's end
Wilson Mrs., Burleigh, Maxwell road
Wordsworth Miss, 2 York view
Wroot   Mrs.   Edith,   Algarth   lodge, The Mile
Young     Albert     Edwin,    Clymping, Garth's end

COMMERCIAL.

Early closing day, Wednesday for all businesses & pro­fessions, except hair dressers, whose day is Thurs.
Marked thus ° farm 130 acres or over.
Ainstay Factoring Co. Ltd. bldrs.' mers. 19 & 21 Union st.   TN18
Allison Joseph & Sons Ltd. builders & brick & tile makers, Manor buildings.    T N 37
Allison  Frank,   thrashing  machine propr.   Nailsea ho. Chapmangate
Amdor Alfd. M.B., Ch.B. Edin. physcn. & surgn. Gif­ford, Algarth av
Appleby Herbt. saddler & harness mkr. 4 Regent st
Assembly Hall (W. Sellers & Sons, proprs.), Kirkland st
Atkinson Wm. farmer, Toft ho. Beilby la
Balmford P. D. (Mrs.), refrshmnt. rms. 37 Market pl
Barclays Bank Ltd.  (branch)   (Chas.   Coote Goodricke, rnngr.) (open daily 10 to 3 ;  sat.  10 to 12), 42 Market pl. (T N 21) ; head office,54 Lombard st.London EC 3
Barker Arth. dairyman, Globe ho. Market pl
Barker Frank, Royal Oak inn, 26 George st
Barlow Wltr. chemist, 29 Market pi.    T N 5
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house, London st
Bilton H. H. Cross Keys P.H. 29 Market st
Bird A.  C.  & Son, motor body painters,  Canal head. TN73
Black Bull Hotel (Edwd. Percy Steele, manager), Mar­ket pl
Blackbourn Arth. ironmngr. 10 Market pl
Blades Hy. Wellington Oak inn, Canal head
Blight Percy, grocer, 57 Market pl
Bottomley Rt. relieving officer & collector, The Mile
Bowman Fred, fishmonger & fried fish dealer, 51 Mar­ket place
Bowman Harold, Oddfellows' Arms P.H. 14 Union st
Bridway Service Station, motor garage, Kilnwick Percy rd
British Legion Club (Jas. Wm. Eastwood, sec.), Water­loo sq
Brocklebank Thos. farmer, Northfield, Mile End
Brook Jn. E. plumber, 16 New pavement
Broughton Ernest Arth. butcher, 22 Waterloo hldgs
Broughton Frederick Charles, butcher, 10 Market street
Burial Ground (Jsph. Butterworth, clerk), Cemetery la
Butterworth Jsph. clerk to the Parish Council & to the Burial Authority, Regent ho
Buttle Eric, painter, 31 Market street
Buttle Herbert William, boot repairer, 36 Union street
Cains Arth. C. painter & house decrtr. 23 Chapmangate
Cains Eric, miller (oil & water), Devonshire mill, Canal  la
Cains Fras.  Geo. bailiff of County court, Prospect ho. Canal  head
Carbutt & Co. (1928) Ltd.pearl barley mfrs. West Green
Cass Joe Holland, poultry farmer, Nab wood, Barmby rd
Central Hall Cinema (Central Hall Cinema Co. Ltd.proprs.), Peter's sq.    T N 46
Cook Jn. bldr. Moorlands, The Balk.    TN 111
Cook Jn. Porter, M.B.C.V.S. veterinary surgn. 7 George st
Coulson Arthur, grocer, 8 Chapmangate
Coulson Fred, fruitr. 35 Market pl
County Court  (Frank Perkins LL.B. registrar & high bailiff) ; office, The Balk
Cowling & Swift, solctrs. (attends tues. & fri. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.), Market pi
Craggs fit. shopkpr. 42 George st
Cundall Rt. & Co. mfng. chemists, s & 7 Market st
Cundall Edwd. farmer, 5 Market st
Dale Wm. Jas. shopkpr. 30 Chapmangate
Dawson Frank, coal agt. Railway station
Dobson & Co. medical printers, Barmby rd.    T N 32
Douthwaite Isabelle (Mrs.), confctnr. 21 George st
Duckwith F. thrashing machine propr. Kilnwick Percy rd
Dykes Thos. boot repr. 17 Church la
Eagan Jn. E. rope & twine mfr. Church la
Easton James, blacksmith. Church lane
Eastwood John K. tailor, 2 Market street
Endowed Grammar School (Percy C. Sands M.A., J.P. head master), West Green.    T N 25
ENGLISH   R. M. & SON) auctioneers & valuers, estate agents, corn, seed & manure merchants, Mar­ket street (TN 6); attend markets at Leeds; York; Wakefield; Driffield; Manchester; Market Weighton & Selby
Everingham Bros, motor car proprs. 10 & 12 Hallway st.    T N 26
Everingham J.T. & Sons, tailors, 12 Railway st. TN 26
Fairweather Alex. Ferrier Angus M.D., C.M.Aberd. physcn. medical officer & public vaccinator Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Pocklingtcn Area Guardians Committee & medical officer of health to the Rural District Council & medical officer to the Institution & Post Office & certifying factory surgn. Faircote, West Green. T N 7
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, 40 Union street
Farrar Wm. Norman L.D.S.Eng. dental surgn. (attends fri. 6 to 8.30 pm.), 49 Chapmangate
Fielder Jn. Elliott, joiner, 2 London st. & 25 George st
Fire  Brigade   (Harry A.   Hotham,  capt.  &  sec.),  The Pavement
Forth   W.   &  C.  printers, bookbinders, booksellers, stationers,   newsagents,   &   athletic   &   fancy   goods
depot,  & billposters,  5  &  7 Market place; printing works, Dean's lane.   T N 39
Forth William, motor engineer; overhauls & repairs, New Street garage, New street
Foster Emma (Mrs.), Black Swan P.H. 26 Market place
Fowler George  Henry,  draper 56,  & ladies'  & gents' tailor 46, Market place
Fox & Fiffg, motor engnrs.  George st.    T N 75
Fussey Wltr.  boot & shoe mkr.  & dlr.  39 to 43 Market pl
Giles Bertie, butcher, 8 Regent st
Gilson William & Son. watch makers, 33 Market place
Gofton E.   dentist  (attends  sat.  3.30   to s  P-m.),   15 Market st
Goodricke   Chas.  Ooote,  mngr.  Barclays   Bank Ltd. 42 Market pl. T N 21
Grainger W. & Sons Ltd. haulage contrctrs.  Kilnwick Percy rd.    T N 56
Gray Rd. Duckwith, saddler, Peter's sq
Haigh Howorth (Miss), teacher of music (attends sat.) 24 Chapmangate
Harrison Mary (Mrs.), common lodging house, Union s
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, 38 Market place
Heninghem   Geo.   Heminsley,   solctr.   &   commissioner for   oaths  (firm,   Summerson &   Heninghem),  Brunswick pl.    T N 50
Heninshem Thos. Geo. solctr. & commissioner for oath (firm,   Summerson   &   Heningham),   Brunswick   pl T N 50
Hesslewood Arth. M. station master & goods agt. Railway station, West Green.    T N 15
Hill Wm. Fras. garage propr. George st. & New pavement.    T N  27
Hind Fredk. Hugh Griffiths, painter, 12 Chapmangate
Hinds Edwd. police supt.  & inspector under Diseases of Animals Acts for Wilton Beacon division, George st.    TN 13
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr farm, Beilby la
Hotham Harry, boot repr. 24 Market st
Hotham Harry, butcher, 11 New pavement
Houslay Jn. farmer, The Grange, Beilby la
Isherwood   Kenneth   Neville   M.R.C.S.Eng.,    L.R.C.P. Lond. physcn. Ingledene, The Balk.   TN 4
Johnson Fred & Son, rope & twine mkrs. New st
Johnson Harry, boot repr.   14 Market st
Johnson Jas. florist, 7 George st
Jowett Hanson, ironmngr. 3 Market st
Kemp's Cafe (Kenneth A. Pegden, proprietor), caterers & bakers, Railway street
Kirk Fred, elected, engnr. 4 Market pi
Kneeshaw Harry, farmer, Canal head
Laister Jsph. & Son Ltd. ropo & twine mkrs. 30 & 32 Market pl.    T N 44
Lamb Mary Ellen (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Railway st
°Laughton Leonard, farmer, Northfield farm, Yapham road
Leaf Geo. dairyman, 43 George st
Lee   Eric,   wireless   apparatus   dealer,   electrical   engineer, complete installations; relay service, Electric house & Radio stores, 45 Market place.    T N 90
Lee Fred (Mrs.), tobccnst. 59 Market pi.    T N 46
Legion   of   Frontiersmen   (Pocklington  Troop)   (D.   0. Balmford M.C. officer commanding; Fred Rowley, hon. sec.), Drill hall, Barmby rd
Lister Adelaide (Mrs.), grocer, 7 New st
Lumley S. Buck hotel, 24 Market pi
Lundy ft Son, watch makers, 18 Railway street
Majestic   Cinema    (Pocklington)    Ltd.    Chapmangate.TN 37
Manners Jn. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 10 Union st
Manners & Sons, cabnt. mkrs. George st
Marginson Frank, farmer, Woodhouse, Kilnwick Percy rd
Mason  Geo.  H.   school  attendance  officer  (Pocklington district), Holme lodge, Garth end
Masonic Hall  (Beacon lodge No. 4362)  (J.  W.   Curtis, sec.), Masonic hall, The Mile
Matthews   Jas.   Hy.   agricltrl.   engnr.   29   George   St.TN 42
Megginson Wm. farmer, Mile farm, The Mile
Meynell  H. &  Son, grocers,  i Market pi.  & corn dlr. Chapmangate.    T N 34
Midland  Bank  Ltd.   (open  daily  10  to  3;   sat.   10 to 12),   Market place  (T N   81) ;   head  office,  Poultry, London E C 2 Milner Rt. carrier, 44 George st
Ministry of Labour Employment Office (—, manager), 5 George st.    T N 48
Moody Edward, joiner. London street
Moor Geo. smallholder, Ash dene, The Balk
Moor Jsph. J. millers' traveller, 33 George st
Moor Wilfred,  builder, London street
Moore Percy, farmer, Clayfield farm, Kilnwick Percy rd
Moore Wm. fruitr. & greengro. 19 Market st
Munro Henry F. confectioner,  18 & 20 Chapmangate
Murdie  Jas.   M.,   M.I.S.A.   sanitary   inspector  to  the Rural District Council, Alnbank, The Mile North   Eastern  Railway   Coal  Depot   (Frank   Dawson, agt.), Railway station
North Eastern Railway Goods Depot (Arth. M. Hessle-wood, agt.),   Railway station, West Green.    T N  15
Ogram Jas. farmer, South Moor ho. The Balk
Oliver  Arth.   J.   clerk  to  the  Rural  District  Council, clerk to the Pocklington Area Guardians Committee & rating & valuation officer, Grove ho.    T N 3
Perkins  Frank   LL.B.   registrar  &  high  bailiff county court;  office, The Balk Pocklington Coronation Band (Jsph. Wilson, conductor),
George st
Pocklington  & District  Industrial  Co-operative   Society Limited   (George   William   Haw,   manager),   grocers, Market  place  & New street.    T N 30
Pocklington  Golf  Club Ltd.   (G.  H.  Heninghem,  hon. sec.); regd. office, Brunswick pl
Pocklington Golf Club (Wm. M. Davidson, hon. sec.);links, Yapham rd
Pocklington  New  Gas  Co.   Limited   (H.   Smith,  sec.); ofice, Regent ho. ; works, West Green
Pocklington Rugby Union Club (Thos. Eric Scaife, sec.), Chapmangate
Pocklington  Sports  Ground  Co.   Ltd.   (E.   G.   Gibson, sec.), Brunswick pl
Pocklington  Water Works Co. Limited (C. B. Newton, sec.),  Chapel hill
Police Office (Edwd. Hinds, supt.), George st
Potter Neil, shopkpr. 16 Market st
Powell & Young,  solctrs.  &  commissioners for oaths, Waterloo bldgs.    T N 14
Procter Brothers (T. & G. Stokoe, proprietors), hosiers, ladies' & gents' outfitters & general drapers, 53 & 55
Market place
Procter   Christopher    J.P.    family   grocer,    flour dealer,  provision merchant  & wine &  spirit dealer, 18 Market place. TN 79
Read  Annie   Pybus   (Mrs.),   greengro.   49  Market  pi.
Richardson Bros, potato mers. Brunswick ho
Richardson John, monumental mason, New street
Richardson Jn. Edwd. agricltrl. implement mkr. Albion foundry,   New st.    T N  65
Robinson Arth. farmer. Oak farm, Yapham rd
Robinson  Wilfred, carrier, haulage contractor & cattle remover, 5 Chapmangate.    TN 78
Robson Jn. glass & china dlr. 28 Market pi
Robson Ed. butcher, Church la.   T N 29
Rouse Lily (Mrs.), china & glass dlr. Peter's sq
Rowley H. & D. Ltd. tailors, n & 13 Market st.    TN 8
Rowley Frederick, insurance agent, 7 Victoria terrace
Rowley Nellie (Mrs.), ladies' tailor, 52 Market pi Saxby Chas. mngr. Westminster Bank Ltd. Market pi
Scaife  F.   &  N  stationers,  newsagents  & fancy goods, 19 & 21 Market place
Scaife Harold, tobacconist, 6 Market place
Scaife   Thos.   registrar  of  marriages,   actuary   of  the Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd., auctnr. & valuer & certi­fied bailiff, Ebor ho. Chapmangate
Sellers   W.  &  Sons,  joiners,  builders,  undertakers & funeral furnishers; estimates free, Kirkland street; 6 Victoria terrace & at Lynfield, Burnby lane
Sherbourne Et. confctnr. 23 Market st
Silburn Lionel,  cattle dlr.  53  Chapmangate
Smart Alex. grocer, 12 New pavement
Smith   Jane   E.   &   Annie   E.   (Misses),    confctnrs.  George   st
Smith Agnes (Mrs.), ladies' hairdrssr. 61 Market pl
Smith Alfd. farmer, Dawson ho. The Balk
Smith Ernest, joiner, 27 Union st
Smith Jsph. carpntr. & joiner, George st
Southcoat Jas. W. farmer, Field ho. Barmby rd
Spivey Elizabeth (Mrs.), pork butcher, 38 Market st
Star Supply Stores, grocers, 54 Market pl.    T N 57
Stark Bt. Ales, haulage contretr. Dunroamyn, Barmby rd
Stather Chas. draper, 25 & 27 Market pi.   T N 86
Station Hotel (Arth. Hy.  Todd, manager), New pave­ment
Stead & Simpson Ltd. boot makers, 23 Market place
Steel Joseph & Son, builders, 39 & 41 George street
Steel Wm. bldr. Beechdene, Barmby rd
Steels Charles Richard, house furnisher, 10 Regent st
Steels Fras. H. cabnt. mkr. n London st
Stephenson W. N. & Son, grocers, 4 & 6 Market st
Stephenson   Ellen   W.   (Miss),   baby  linen   warehouse, 20 Market street
Stubbs Jn. T. & Sons, wheelwrights, 10 New st
Stubbs  L.   M.   (Mrs.),   interim  registrar  of  births  & deaths for Pocklington sub-district, Aston villa, Union
st
Sugden Doris (Miss), knitted goods dlr. 3 George st
Summerson & Heninghem,  solicitors,  Brunswick place (T N 50);  attend at High street, Market Weighton,
weds
Summerson Alfd. J.P. soletr. & commissioner for oaths, Brunswick pi.    T N 50
Tate J. W. agricltrl. engnr. Barmby rd
Territorial Force, 5th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Green Howards) (No. n Platoon 0 (S)
Coy.)   (officer   commanding,   Capt.   G.   Widdowson), Drill hall, Barmby rd
Thackray Wm. boot & shoe repr. Pem la
Theakston Rt. Hy. grocer, 27 Market st
Thirsk & Sons, millers, corn, cake & seed merchants, Anglo-Hungarian flour mills (T N 12); & at Nafferton;
Beverley;   York;   Driffield   (TN   12)   &  Bridlington.See Advt. Index
°Thirsk Harry farmer, The Groves farm, West Green. TN 12
Thompson   Geo.   W.   &   Son,   fishmongers,   fried   fish dealers & fruiterers & greengrocers, 23 Railway st.
TN 10
Tinson William & Sons, builders, 28 Market street
Tinson Arth. farmer, Sherbutt farm, Yapham rd
Tinson Fredk.  Richardson, shopkpr. 45  George st
Tinson Raymond, hairdrssr. 473 Market pi
Todd Geo. & Sons, grocers, 18 New pavement.   TN4Q
Todd Chas. dog breeder, Sherbutt kennels.Chapmangate
Todd Rd. Thos. toy dlr. George st
Trust Houses Ltd. The Feathers P.H. Market place
Turner Charles, tailor, 9 Market place
Turner Jane E.  (Mrs.), confectioner,  n Market place
Tyne Wilfred Herbt. farmer, Willow waters, Burnby la
Waite Jn. Hy. & Son, joiners, 5 & 7 Railway st
Waite Ashley, fried fish dlr. Regent st
Walsh Frances (Miss), farmer, Canal head
Watson David R. Three Horse Shoes P.H. 9 Market st
Westminster  Bank  Ltd.   (Chas.   Saxby,   mngr.)   (open daily 10 to 3; sat. 10 to 12), 31 Market pi. (T N 2) ;
head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
White Albt. A. stamp distributor & postmaster, Mar­ket st Whitfield Edith & Gweneth (Misses), ladies' hairdrssrs.
17 Market st
Wignall Thos. Lionel, dentist, 8 York view
Wilberfoss & Thornton Level Drainage Board (E. Smith, clerk), Begent house
Williamson Dorothy (Mrs.), grocer, 21 Kirkland st
Willson Walter Ltd. grocers, 47 Market pi
Wilson.  Gertrude  (Mrs.),  grocer  &  tea  dealer  &  pro­vision merchant, 2 Market place
Wilson Jn. T. butcher, 7 New pavement.   T N 69
Windebank   Harry, coal & coke merchant; house coal, cobbles, trebles, or small nuts, The Avenue &
Ashfield, Canal head
Wood Sarah (Mrs.), Old Red Lion P.H. Regent st
Woods & Sons, drug stores, Waterloo bldgs.   T N 17
Wright Jsph. Hy. hairdrssr. 6 Union st
Yorkshire  Penny Bank Ltd. (branch) (Thos. Scaife, actuary) (open sat. 2.30 to 3.30 p.mi.), New st
Young Albert Edwin, solicitor & commissioner for oaths (firm, Powell & Young), superintendent registrar, clerk to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme Beacon divisions, deputy steward for the manors of Millington-with-Little Givendale, Pockling­ton, Barmby-npon-the-Moor, Fridaythorpe-with-Good-manham & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Waterloo buildings (T N 14); & at Market Weighton
Young Chas. Geoffrey Cameron, soletr. (firm, Powell & Young), Waterloo bldgs

OUSETHORPE.

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Hewison  George  Leargard,  farmer, Mill farm
Hewison John, farmer,  Clay farm
°Walker  Ben,  farm bailiff to Whitworth's Brewery

YAPHAM

PRIVATE   RESIDENT.

(For T N see general list of PrivateResidents at end of book.)
English Richard L.  Smylett hall

COMMERCIAL.

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Barker Wm. farmer, Westhill farm
Brigham Gerald,farmr. Yapham hall
°Carr Albt. farmer, Manor farm
°Carr   Regnld. Albt.   farmer,   East Green farm
°English Rd. L.farmer & landowner, Smylett hall. Pocklington 3135
°Gray Hubert, farmer, Rowland hill. Pocklington 3134
Harrison Wm. farmer
Hatfleld Mark,  farmer
Haywood Wm.  joiner, Yapham mill
Hocking  Jn.   Jas.   farmer,   Yapham grange
Johnson John, jobbing gardener
Pearson Henry, farmer

MELTONBY

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Campbell Wm. farmer.Prospect frm
Dale   Jas.    farm    bailiff    to    Thos. English esq. Meltonby ho
°Houslay John, farmer, The Grange
Moody Thos. W. farmer, The Firs
°Pearson Jn.Edwd. frmr. Manor frm
Pearson Jn. Edwd. smallholder, Ivy cott
Pearson   Thomas, farmer, Meltonby Hall farm
Smith Mary A. (Mrs.), farmer, Fairview farm