PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> 2017 AGM
> Titanic Yorkshire Links
> Burnby Lane Dig - Update
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  18th May - Thomas Cooke Optical   Instrument Maker from Allerthorpe    ** n.b. venue & date change

> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
The 1840 Gala day
From the 'York Courant' for Feb 13, 1840
A Celebration of Queen Victoria's Marriage to Prince Albert in Pocklington.
Queen Victoria's WeddingCelebration of the Queens's Marriage.— Monday was a gala day at this town. Mrs Dewsbury, with her usual loyalty and benevolence, gave a treat to all the poor widows, widowers, and other necessitous persons in Pocklington. The morning was ushered in with the ringing of the church bells, and a white banner floated upon its steeple. The dinner above alluded to was served up in the spacious Hall belonging the Odd Fellows, and consisted of a bounteous supply of that good old English fare roast beef and plum pudding, with that excellent beverage good and wholesome home-brewed ale.

At one o'clock, the company began to muster in the pleasure grounds belonging this charitable lady, and at two, they were ushered to their repast and gratifying it was to see the assembly thus liberally made to rejoice. S. W. Swiny, Esq, presided, and H. Powell, Esq., solicitor, officiated as vice, assisted by the principal ladies and gentlemen of the town, as supporters and waiters. After dinner a bountiful supply of punch was placed upon the table, in which the healths of the Queen and Prince Albert were enthusiastically drank, as well as several other loyal and appropriate toasts, including the health of the worthy benefactress. Several suitable addresses were delivered, and at half-past four the company, which consisted of upwards of 250, separated, highly delighted with their treat. The parties who had attended upon this company afterwards dined at Mrs Dewsbury's. There was likewise a party of the most respectable tradesmen dined together at the house of Mr Thompson, the Star Inn, and the utmost harmony prevailed.