PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> 2017 AGM
> Titanic Yorkshire Links
> Burnby Lane Dig - Update
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  18th May - Thomas Cooke Optical   Instrument Maker from Allerthorpe    ** n.b. venue & date change

> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1933 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM AND MELTONBY AND OUSETHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market town and gives its name to a rural district: it is the head of a county court dis­trict, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 198 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6¼ north­west from Market Weighton, 27 north-west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Hart-hill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional division, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted under the Public Health Act, 1875, by Local Government Board Order No. 29,872, dated July ist, 1893.
On Oct. ist, 1901, by Local Government Board Order No. 42,567, part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.
The town is lighted with gas from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works 1 mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a consider­able stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.

The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower (restored in 1913), with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, but traces of the Norman church still exist: there are several stained windows: the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Buncombe, of Kilnwick Percy; and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: the font consists of a square basin of fossilized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594 ; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard : on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which translated reads: — "Here Paulinus preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of " the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, abo-ut 1500; and well preserved: dose to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwold, last prioress out one of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 futher restorations were effected, at a cost of ,£1,150: the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600: a memorial tablet was erected in 1920 to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 600 sittings. The re­gister dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, so constituted in 1252, with the chapelries of Yapham and Meltonby and Ousethorpe annexed, joint net yearly value £406, including 21 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Ian McNaugbton Smith B.A. of Queen's College, Cam­bridge.

The Roman Catholic church, in London street, dedi­cated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse: there are five stained windows, one of which was presented by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk: an organ gallery, the gift of the late Mrs. Thompson, of Pocklington, was erected in 1907: a stained window representing the Crucifixion, was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men connected with the church who fell in the Great War, 1914-18 : there are 120 sittings, and attached is a residence for the priest.
The Congregational chapel in Chapmangate, erected in 1807, has an endowment of £60 yearly, bestowed by John Jackson, d. 1874, and will seat 350 persons; there is also a Methodist chapel in Chapmangate, and another in Union street, and the Plymouth Brethren meet in the Assembly Hall in Kirkland street.

The Burial Ground, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 6a, 1r. 1op. and has two small chapels, one for the church of England and the other for Dissenters; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial authority.
The Police Court and Station, in George street, erected in 1899-1900 at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magistrates' room, a witnesses' waiting room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.

The Masonic Hall, situated in The Mile, can be let for public meetings &c.
The Central Hall, in Peter's square, is used as a, cinematograph theatre, and will hold about 450 persons.
The Assembly Hall, in Kirkland street, will hold 150 people.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
The local trade includes brewing, rope and twine making; there are agricultural implement manu­factories, and in the neighbourhood several corn and pearl barley mills.

The market is held every Saturday. There are four fairs held here annually—on the 7th of March, 6th of Mar, 5th of August and the 8th of November ; on the oth of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and the auction is held every Monday
There are charities left by Henry Powell (1895), Mrs. Isabella Moor, Mrs. Ann Blackwell (1732), Robert Chapman (1718), Dr. Henry Watkinson, Mr. John Mcor, William Westoby, John Seymour and John Cole, which are distributed by the Urban District Council.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pockling­ton canal, the property of the London and North Eastern Railway Company: the canal, made under the pro­visions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.
The trustees of the late Capt. Harry Whitworth are lords of the manor and hold a court leet, baron and copyhold court: there are also a large number of small freeholders.

Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yap-ham-with-Meltonby and Ousethorpe. The township and Urban District of Pocklington contains 2,616 acres of land, including 75 acres taken over from Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water; the population in 1931 was-2,640, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 2,837.

OUSETHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rect­angular moated enclosure, wherein once stood the mansion of a branch of the Aske family of " Pilgrimage of Grace " fame. The rectorial tithe rent-charge, amounting to £52, and the agistment tithe rent-charge of £19, belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The vicarial tithe rent-charge of £4 is the property of the trustees of the late Capt. Harry Whitworth. The area is 333 acres ; the population in 1921 was 18.

Letters through Pocklington, the nearest M. O. & T. office

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and a township, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pock­lington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and restored about 1904, at a cost of £400, and has 100 sittings. The great or rectorial tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and under an instrument of apportionment, dated 12 June, 1844, a sum of £204 18s. 9d. has been assigned to the benefice of Pocklington, and the rest retained by the Commissioners towards the payment of a curate. The glebe land here amounts to 21 acres, and £10 a year, given by a former dean of York, also belongs to the benefice. Here is a Methodist chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commis­sioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. Richard L. English esq. is the principal land­owner : 3s. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole ; 4s. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,888 ; the population in 1921 was 222.
Letters are delivered at Yapbaui from Pocklington & at Meltonby. Pocklington is the nearest M. O. & T. office

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Railway street. Letters through York

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meeting day, 1st friday each month 8 p.m. at Clerk's offices, Brunswick place.

Chairman, George William Haw J.P.
Vice-Chairman, Frederick William Sainsbury Woods.

Retire in 1933.

George Heminsley Heningham
William Francis Hill
Frederick William Sains­bury Woods

Retire in 1934.

Sydney Herbt.Everingham
Donald Fowler
James Johnson

Retire in 1935.
George William Haw J.P
Herbert Meynell
Thomas Scaife

Officers.
Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Brunswick place
Treasurers, Westminster Bank Ltd
Medical Officer of Health, Alex. Ferrier Angus Fair-weather M.D., C.M.Aberd, Faircote, West Green

Sanitary Inspector, Surveyor & Rating & Valuation Officer, Joseph Butterworth, Brunswick place

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

(For addresses of magistrates, see complete list at front of book.)

Haw George William
Irwin Lord E.G., P.C., G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E
Procter Christopher
Smith Frederick
Stubbins Henry Edward
Summerson Alfred
Thirsk Thomas Spruce
Wright George

The Chairmen, for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magis­trates

Clerk to the Magistrates, Albert Edwin Young, Waterloo buildings.

Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody

The following places are included in the petty sessional division:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby, Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Euggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.

The townships in the District are:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-'with-Bellthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, or Buckthorpe, Burnby, Catton—High, Catton—Low, Cliffe—North. Cliffe—South, Cottingwith—East, Everingham, Fang­foss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Givendale—Great-with-Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Eilnwick Percy, Eirkby Underdale, Londes-borough-with-Easthorpe, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Sancton & Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge—East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe-le-Street, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby & Youlthorpe-with-Gowthorpe.

Council meets at the Guardians' Board room monthly, on tuesdays, at 1.30 p.m.

Chairman, Henry Edward Stubbins J.P. Thornton grange, Melbourne, York

Officials.

Clerk, Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street Pocklington Treasurers Barclays Bank Ltd
Medical Officer of Health, Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green, Pocklington
Sanitary Inspector, James M. Murdie M.I.S.A. Alnbank, The Mile, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON GUARDIANS COMMITTEE.
Meets monthly at the Board room, at 1.30 p.m. The area comprises Pocklington Urban & Rural Dis­tricts & Escrick Rural District.

Chairman, Frederick Smith J.P. Red house, Yapham road, Pocklington
Clerk, Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street, Pocklington
Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Reginald M. Stubbs, Mervene, The Mile, Pocklington
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators:—Pocklington Nos. 1 & 2 districts, A. F. A. Fairweather M.D..
C.M. Aberd. Faircote, West Green, Pocklington; Stamford Bridge district, P. M. Sawkill M.B., Ch.B.
Longlands, East Stamford Bridge, York; Market Weighton Nos. 1 & a districts, R. H. Ashwin M.D.
Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, W. J. Carmichael M.B., CM.
Aberd. Elvington, near York; Huggate district, J.Perrin Brown M.B., Cb.B.Leeds, Wetwang, York;
Escrick Nos. 1 & 3 districts. W. H. Morrison M.B., Ch.B.Vict. Escrick, York; No. 2 district, W. J.
Carmichael M.B., C.M.Aberd. Elvington. York; No. 4 district, C. H. Jackman L.R.C.P., L.B.C.S.Edin.,
L.R.F.P.S.Glas. Dunnington, York
The Pocklington Institution, erected in 1832, enlarged in 1896, will hold 113 inmates ; in 1878 a hospital was added; Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith B.A. hon. chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather

POCKLINGTON REGISTRATION DISTRICT.

Superintendent Registrar, Albert Edwin Young, Water­loo building's, Pocklington; deputy, Edward Holman, Waterloo buildings
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, Reginald M. Stubbs, Mervene, The Mile, Pocklington ; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Mervene, The Mile, Pocklington; East Stamford Bridge sub-district, George William Etherington, Wilberfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, Miss Annie Roantree, High street, Market Weighton

Registrar of Marriages, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate, Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Burial Ground, West Green, Alfred Summerson J.P. clerk, Brunswick place

County Court; office, The Balk, Pocklington; office hours, on Wednesday & thursday only, from 10.30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ; His Honor Hugh Loveday Beazley, judge; Frank Perkins LL.B. registrar & high bailiff; Francis G. Cains, bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magistrates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kiln-wick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Der-went, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sanc­ton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Sbipton. Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe, Holme-on-Spalding Moor & Saytham
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Donald Sween Mackay, Red house, Dun-combe place, York, official receiver
Certified Bailiff appointed under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chap­mangate
Customs & Excise Office, Gainford, Algarth avenue, Edgar W. Gibson, officer
Fire Brigade, Brunswick place
Police Office, George street

TERRITORIAL ARMY.
The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment), 5th Battn. Machine Gun Platoon (Headquarter Wing), Drill hall, Barmby road ; Maj. C. C. Goodricke, commanding officer

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assessor & Collector of Income Tax, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Alexander Ferrier A. Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green
Deputy Steward of the Manors of Millington with Little Givendale, Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Fridaythorpe-with-Goodmanham & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Henry Sydney Powell, Waterloo buildings
Ministry of Labour Employment Office, 5 George street, George H. Wrigglesworth, manager
Rating & Valuation Officer, Joseph Butterworth, Brunswick place
School Attendance Officer, George H. Mason, 5 Richmond terrace
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, Robert J Hickes F.R.C.V.S., J.P. Market Weighton

PLACES OF WORSHIP.
All Saints' Church, Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith B.A vicar; Rev. Arnold de Quincey B.A. curate
SS. Mary & Joseph Roman Catholic, London street, Rev. Thomas Noone, parish priest
Congregational Methodist, Rev. Francis G. Wade, supt
Methodist, Rev. W. H. Batho Gibbon B.D. supt
Plymouth Brethren, Assembly hall, Kirkland street

EDUCATIONAL.
The Endowed Grammar School, on West Green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cock­ing bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved: the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VJJI. (24th May, 1514); & when sub­sequently, in the reign of that monarch, ail such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school; the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Mas­ter & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pock­lington." Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions:—1, Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tenable for 4 years at St. John's College, Cambridge ; 2, the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly & tenable for 4 years at any university, are similarly open ; 4, three County Council scholarships of £60 yearly each, tenable for 3 years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at any college or university approved by the County Council The following are tenable only at the school:—1, Ten local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £10 ; 2, entrance scholarships for boarders, of £20 to £50 each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, a limited number of entrance exhibitions of £10 to £15 The revenues of the school arose mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amounted to about £1,000 a year; the land has since been sold & the proceeds invested. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, suc­ceeded in considerably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A.: in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing body of 12 members. Alderman F. Smith J.P, chairman; Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street, clerk to the gover­nors. During 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addition of a new wing, at a cost of about £6,000; in 1921 a swimming bath was added & in 1923 Dolman house was bought as an additional boarding house ; in 1927 a new Assembly hall was built; in 1932 new laboratories, class rooms & art rooms were added at a cost of £7,500, also extra common room accommodation provided, & were opened bv Lord Irwin E.G., P.C., G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E. : there are now (1933) three boarding houses & about 150 boys ; head master, Percy Cooper Sands M.A. late fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge.
Railway Station, West Green (L. & N.E)

CARRIERS to: Hull—Arthur Stephenson, tues. & fri
York—Robert Milner, from 44 George street, daily, except wed

CONVEYANCE.
Everingham Bros, to York & surrounding villages, daily Bailey's omnibuses, to surrounding villages, daily Omnibuses pass through for York, Hull & Leeds, daily

POCKLINGTON PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Allison Alfred, Corner cottage,Mile rd
Allison Harold.Wyn Garth,Algarth av
Allison Harry, Uplands, The Mile
Allison Joseph, Silverthorne, Algarth avenue
Anderson Alfred William, Perry-mount, The Mile
Andrews Frederick, 31 Chapmangate
Atkin E., Prospect villa, Chapman­gate
Barlow Walter, Avenue ho. Percy rd
Blacken John William, Carlton house, Percy road
Bottomley A. G., St. John's lodge, Barmby road
Brook Mrs. Ellen, Hill crest, Yap­ham road
Burrows Colin, Acacia cottage, The Mile
Butterworth Joseph, Rosedene, The Mile
Carlton Mrs. 7 York view
Cattle William W. 3 York view
Cliff Reginald, Westfield, West green.
Cundall Thos. Bowser, 40 Market pl
Dales Charles' William, 1 York view
Davidson Wm. Miller, 4 York view
Defoe L. G., B.Sc. Grammar school, West Green
de Quincey Rev. Arnold B.A. (curate), 14 Barmby lanes
Dixon Gordon, North-royd, Algarth av
Dobson Clarence, Rudstone house, Barmby road
English Thomas, Lyndhurst
Everingham Mrs., Stamford villa, Barmby road
Everingham Sydney, Gowanlea, Barmby road
Fair-weather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.D., CM. Faircote, West Green
Forth A. J. 21 The Grove
Forth Arthur James, 21 The Balk
Gibb John Robert, The Woodlands, The Mile
Gibbon Rev. W. H. Batho B.D. (Methodist),The Manse, Chapmangate
Gilson Percy, 10 York view
Gilyead H. R.. Hosmer lo. Percy rd
Glossop Harry, Karaburun, The Mile
Glossop William, The Mile
Goodricke Charles Coote, Barclays Bank house, Market place
Grainger Ernest, 25 New street
Grainger George William, 25 New st
Grainger William, 15 Regent street
Heninghem George Hemingsley, Danetre, Garth's end
Heninghem Thomas George, The Gables, The Mile
Hesslewood Arthur M. Station house
Hickes Johnson, Berkeley house, Maxwell road
Hodgson Herbert, Martindale, Max­well road
Isherwood Kenneth Neville, Ingle-dene, The Balk
Jebson William Henry, Wilton house
Keenleyside George William, North view, Barmby road
Kempley Misses, 23 The Grove
Knowles Oliver, Panel house,Percy rd
Laister Percy, Sunnybank, The Mile
Lee Mrs., Shaunlea, Maxwell road
Marshall Mrs., Dagfield, Garths End
Meynell Herbert, 17 Chapmangate
Midgley Thomas Henry, Holmlea, Yapham road
Noone Rev. Thomas (Roman Catho­lic), The Presbytery, London st
Oliver Arthur John, Thurnby villa, Garth's end
Pay Thomas W., M.A. Wilberforce lodge, West green
Pearson Fredk. Beechwood, The Grove
Petch Miss, .Sunnyside, Railway st
Phillips Miss L. B., M.B. Gi'fford, Algarth avenue
Powell Henry Sydney, The Bungalow. Burnby lane
Procter Christopher J.P. Market pl
Procter Mrs., Pexton house, Percy rd
Richardson Daniel, 9 York view
Sands Percy C, M.A. (head master). Grammar school, West Green
Saxby Charles,St.Quentin,Garth's end
Scaife Francis, Neswick villa
Scaife Thomas, Ebor house, Chap­mangate
Scott John, Prospect house
Skinner Atkinson, Wold view, Yap­ham road
Smith Rev. Ian McNaughton B.A (vicar), The Vicarage, The Grove
Smith Fredk. J.r. Red ho.Yapham rd
Smith Mrs. Mary, 8 York view
Smith Robert, 5 York view
Smithson Thos. Herbt. 35 George st
Sootheran John Gerald, Mile farm, The Mile
Stather Charles, Moonta, Algarth av
Stewart Maj. Percy M., M.A. Burnby hall
Stewart John, Bloomsbury house. The Balk
Stubbs Reginald M., Mervene, The Mile
Suddaby Mrs. Violet Myrtle, The Laurels, The Mile
Summerson Alfred J.P. Wilberforce house, West Green
Thirsk Harry, The Groves, West Green
Thirsk Thomas Spruce J.P. The Groves, West Green
Thomas Mrs. Elizabeth, Rainshaw, Algarth avenue
Thornham Evelyn Leonard, Grasmere, Garth's End
Travers-Smith Mrs., The Bungalow, The Mile
Tucker E. R., M.A. Dolman house
Wade Rev. Francis G. (Methodist), Bourne house, Union street
Walkington Mrs., St. Norberts, Percy road
Westwood Edgar, Algarth lodge, The Mile
Wilson Mrs., Burleigh, Maxwell road
Wordsworth Miss, 2 York view
Wray Henry, Wayside, The Mile
Wrigglesworth George H. 5 George street
Young Albert Edwin, Clymping. Garth's end

COMMERCIAL.

Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m. for all businesses & professions, except hair dressers, whose day is Thurs. Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Allison Joseph & Sons Ltd. builders, The Mile. T N 37
Allison Frank, thrashing machine propr. Nailsea ho. Chapmangate
Assembly Hall (W. Sellers, & Sons, proprs.), Kirkland st
Balmford P. D. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 35 Market pl
Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (Chas. Coote Goodricke, mngr.) (open daily 10 to 3 ; sat. 10 to 12), 42 Market pl. (T N 21) ; head office,54 Lombard st.London EC 3 Barker Frank, Royal Oak inn, George st
Barlow Walt, chemist, 29 Market pl. T N 5 Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house, London st
Bilton H. H. Cross Keys P.H. Market st
Birch A. C. & Son, motor body painters, decorators, signwriters, cycle accessories dealers & petrol filling station, Canal head. T N 73
Black Bull Hotel (J. S. Walsh, propr.), Market pl
Blackburn Arthur, ironmonger, 10 Market place
Blight Percy, grocer, 37 Market pl
Bower G. F. & Son, pork butchers, Market pl
Bowman Harold, Oddfellows' Arms P.H. Union st
British Legion Club (Jas. Wm. Eastwood, sec), Chap­mangate
Brocklebank Thos. farmer, Northfield, Meltonby
Broughton Ernest Arth. butcher, 22 Waterloo bldgs
Broughton Frederick Charles, butcher, 10 Market street
Burial Ground (Alfd. Summerson J.P. clerk), W. Green
Butterworth Jsph. sanitary inspector, surveyor & rating & valuation officer to the Urban District Council & capt. & sec. of the Fire Brigade, Brunswick pl. TH 50
Buttle Eric, painter, 31 Market street
Buttle Herbert William, boot repairer, 36 Union street
Cains Eric, miller (oil & water), Devonshire mill, Canal la
Cains Fras. Geo. bailiff of County court, Prospect ho. Canal head
Cains Mary H. (Mrs), milliner, 3 George st
Campbell Jn. Geo. farmer, The Grange, Beilby la
Central Hall Cinema (Central Hall Cinema Co.Ltd. proprietors), Peter's square. T N 46
Cook Jn. bldr. 25 George st
Coulson Arthur, grocer, 8 Chapmangate
Coulson Fred, fruitr. 14 Market pl
County Court (Frank Perkins LL.B. registrar & high bailiff) ; office, The Balk
Craggs Rt. shopkpr. 42 George st
Cundall Robert & Co. manufacturing & agricultural chemists; sheep dip & cattle medicines, seed mer­chants & wine & spirit merchants, 5 Market street
Cundall Edwd. farmer, 5 Market st
Customs & Excise Office (Edgar W. Gibson, officer), Gainford, Algarth av
Dale Wm. Jas. shopkpr. 30 Chapmangate
Dobson & Co. medical printers, Barmby rd. T N 32
Duckwith F. thrashing machine propr. 27 London st
Dykes Thos. boot repr. Church la
Easton James, blacksmith, Church lane
Eastwood John R. tailor, 2 Market street
Endowed Grammar School (Percy C. Sands M.A. head master), West Green. T N 25
ENGLISH R. M. & SON, auctioneers & valuers, estate agents, corn, seed & manure merchants, Mar­ket street (TNG); & at Market Weighton ; attend markets at Leeds; York; Wakefield; Driffield & Manchester Evans Jsph. chimney sweep, Union st
Everingham Brothers, motor car, omnibus & char-a-banc proprietors; garage, repairs, 10 & 12 Railway street. T N 26
Everingham J. T. & Sons, tailors, 12 Railway street
Fairweather Alex. Ferrier Angus M.D., C.M.Aberd. physcn. medical officer & public vaccinator Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Pocklington Area Guardians Committee & medical officer of health to the Urban & Rural District Councils & medical officer to the Institution & Post Office & certifying factory surgn. Faircote, West Green. T N 7
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, 40 Union street
Fielder John Elliott, joiner, 2 London street
Fire Brigade (Jspb. Butterworth, capt. & sec), Bruns­wick pi. T N 50
Foote Thos. Wm. fishmngr. 51 Market pl
Forth W, & C. printers, bookbinders, booksellers, stationers, newsagents, & athletic & fancy goods depot, advertising agents & billposters, Market pl.; printing works, Dean's lane. T N 39
Foster Emma (Mrs.), Black Swan P.H. 26 Market place
Fowler George Henry, draper, 46 Market place
Fox & Figg, motor engnrs. George st. T N 75
Freke Alfd. Bernard, dentist, Dean's-la
Gibson Edgar W. customs & excise officer, Gainford,. Algarth av
Giles Bert, butcher, 34 Union st
Giles Tom, hairdrssr. Market pi
Gilson William & Son, watch makers, 33 Market place
Gofton E. dentist (attends sat. 3.30 to 5 p.m.), 15 Market pl
Goodricke Chas. Coote, mngr. Barclays Bank Ltd. 42 Market pl. T N 21
Grainger W. & Sons Ltd. haulage contractors, carriers & furniture removers, 25 New street. T N 56
Gray Rd. Duckwith, saddler, Peter's sq
Haigh Howard (Miss), teacher of music (attends sat.), 24 Chapmangate
Haiton J. L., L.D.S., U.L'pool. dental surgn. (attends tues. 2.30 to 5 p.m.), 49 Chapman gate
Harrison Mary (Mrs.), common lodging house, Union st
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, 38 Market place
Heninghem Geo. Heminsley, solctr. & commissioner for oaths (firm, Summerson & Heninghem), Bruns­wick pl. T R 50
Heninghem Thos. Geo. solctr. & commissioner for oaths (firm, Summerson & Heningham), Brunswick pl.TN 50
Hesslewood Arth. M. station master & goods agt. Rail­way station. T N 15
Hewson Joseph Hy draper, 56 Market pl
Hill Wm. Fras. garage propr. George st. & New pave­ment. T N 27
Hind Fredk. Hugh Griffiths, painter, 12 Chapmangato
Hopkinson Ivey (Miss), knitted goods dir. 5 Eegent st
Hopwood Edward, farmer, Toft house, Beilby lane
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr lane
Hotham Harry, boot repr. 24 Market st
Isherwood Kenneth Neville M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. physcn. Ingledene, The Balk. TN 4
Jebson William Henry, veterinary surgeon, "Wilton house (Tel. Pocklington 9); & at Bishop Wilton
Jefferson Chas. Albt. china & glass dir. Peter's sq
Jessop Annie (Mrs.), confctnr. 15 Market st
Johnson Fred & Son, rope & twine mkrs. New st
Johnson Harry, boot repr. 14 Market st
Johnson Jas. florist, 7 George st
Jowett Hanson, ironmngr. 3 Market st
Kemp's Cafe, Railway street
Kneeshaw Harry, farmer, Canal head
Laister Jsph. & Son Ltd*, rope & twine mkrs. 30 & 32 Market pi. T N 44
Lamb Thomas J. (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 20 Railway street
Laughton Wm. & Leonard, farmers, Kimberley ho. Union st
Laughton Leonard, farmer, Northfield farm
Lee Fred (Mrs.), tobccnst. 59 Market pi. T N 46
Legion of Frontiersmen (Pocklington Troop) (D. C. Balmford M.C. officer commanding; Jas. W. Curtis M.M. hon. sec), Drill hall, Barmby rd
Lister Adelaide (Mrs.), grocer, provision merchant & confectioner, 7 New street
Lister Jn. Thos. cab propr. 15 & 17 George st
Lundy & Son, watch makers, 18 Railway street
Machen Ernest Leslie, hairdrssr. 6 Union st
Majestic Cinema (Pocklington) Ltd. Chapmangate.TN 37
Manners John & Son, cabinet makers, upholsterers & house furnishers, 10 Union st
Manners & Sons, cabnt. mkrs. George st
Mason Geo. H. school attendance officer (Pocklington district), 5 Richmond ter
Masonic Hall (Beacon lodge No. 4362) (J. W. Curtis, sec), Masonic hall, The Mile
Matthews Jas. Hy. agricltrl. engnr. George st. TN 42
Maw Rt. police supt. & inspector under Diseases of Animals Acts for Wilton Beacon division, George st. T N 13
Meynell H. & Son, grocers, 1 Market pl. & corn dlr.Chapmangate. TN 34
Midland Bank Ltd. (open daily 10 to 3 ; thurs. 10 to 12), Market place (TN 81); head office, Poultry, London E C 2
Mill ward George Edward, boot maker, 16 Market street
Milner Rt. carrier, 44 George st
Ministry of Labour Employment Office (Geo.H.Wrigglesworth, mngr.), 5 George st. T N 48
Moody Edward, joiner, London street
Moor & Brook, plumbers, 16 New pavement
Moor Arthur, Buck hotel, 24 Market place. T N 38
Moor Jsph. J. millers' traveller, 33 George st
Moor Wilfred, builder, London street
Moore Percy, farmer, Clayfield farm
Morrill Thomas, coal merchant, 7 Richmond terrace
Mouncey Hilda (Mrs.), shopkpr. 65 Chapmangate
Munro Henry F. confectioner, 18 & 20 Chapmangate
Murdie Jas. M., M.I.S.A. sanitary inspector to the Rural District Council, Alnbank, The Mile Myers Albt. cowkeeper, George st
Nelson Arthur G. shoe maker & dlr. 39 & 41 Market pl
Newton Albt. coal agt. Railway station
North Eastern Railway Coal Depot (Albt. Newton, agt.), Railway station
North Eastern Railway Goods Depot (Arth. M. Hesslewood, agt.), Railway station, West Green. T N 15
Ogram Jas. farmer, The Balk
Oliver Arth. J. clerk to the Rural District Council & clerk to the Pocklington Area Guardians Committee, Regent st. T N 3
Perkins Frank LL.B. registrar & high bailiff county court; office, The Balk
Phillips Leslie Broadbridge (Miss) M.B., Ch.B.Bristol, physcn. Gifford, Algarth av
Pocklington Coronation Band (Geo. Flint, conductor), George st
Pocklington & District Industrial Co-operative Society Limited (George William Haw, manager), grocers, Market place & New street. T N 30
Pocklington Golf Club Ltd. (C. G. C. Young, hon. sec) ; registered office, Waterloo bldgs
Pocklington Golf Club (Edgar W. Gibson, hon. sec.) ; links, Yapham rd
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (A. E. Young, sec.) ; office, Waterloo bldgs. ; works, West Green
Pocklington Rugby Union Club (Thos. Eric Scaife, sec)
Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited (C. B. Newton, sec), Chapel hill
Police Office (Rt. Maw, supt.), George st
Powell & Young, solctrs. & commissioners for oaths, Waterloo bldgs. T N 14
Powell Henry Sydney,solicitor & commissioner for oaths (firm, Powell & Young), deputy steward for the manors of Millington-with-Little Givendale, Pock­lington, Barmby-upon-the-Moor, Fridaythorpe-with-Goodmanham & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Water­loo buildings (T N 14) ; & at Market Weighton
Powell Henry S. farmer
Proctor Bros (Pocklington) Ltd. hosiers, 61 Market pl
Proctor Christphr. J.P. grocer, 18 Market st. T N 79
Read Annie Pybus (Mrs.), greengro. 49 Market pl.
Richardson Bros, potato mers. Buck hotel, Market pl. TN38
Richardson John, monumental mason, New street
Richardson Jn. Edwd. agricltrl. implement mkr. Albion foundry, New st. T N 65
Robinson Percy, farmer, Oak farm, Yapham rd
Robinson Wilfred, carrier, haulage contractor & cattle remover, Old Red Lion P.H. Regent st. T N 78
Robson Jn. glass & china dir. 28 Market pl
Robson Rd. butcher, Church la. T N 29
Rowley S. & A. Ltd. drapers, 37 Market pl
Rowley & Son, tailors, 11 & 13 Market st. T N 8
Rowley Frederick, insurance agent, 7 Victoria terrace
Saxby Chas. mngr. Westminster Bank Ltd. Market pl
Scaife F. & N stationers, newsagents & fancy goods, 19 & 21 Market place
Scaife Harold, tobacconist, 6 Market place
Scaife Thos. registrar of marriages, assessor & collector of income tax & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd. auctnr. & valuer & certified bailiff, Ebor ho. Chapmangate
Sellers W. & Sons, joiners, builders, undertakers & funeral furnishers; estimates free, 6 Victoria terrace & at Lynfield, Burnby lane
Shillaker Herbert, grocer, 2 Market place
Silburn Lionel, cattle dir. 53 Chapmangate
Smart Alex, grocer, 12 New pavement
Smith Jane E.. & Annie E. (Misses), confctnrs. 1 George st
Smith Ernest, joiner, 27 Union st
Sootheran Jn. Gerald, farmer, The Mile farm, The Mile
Spivey Elizabeth (Mrs.), pork butcher, 38 Market st
Stabler Geo. fried fish dir. Regent st. T N 51
Star Supply Stores, grocers, 54 Market pl. T N 57
Stark Robert Alexander, haulage contractor, Globe house, Market place. T N 83
Stather Chas. draper, 25 & 27 Market pl. T N 86
Station Hotel (Jn. Wm. Riggoth, propr.),New pavement
Stead &. Simpson Ltd. boot makers, 23 Market place
Steel Joseph & Son, builders, 39 & 41 George street
Steels Charles Richard, house furnisher, 10 Regent st
Stephenson W. N. &; Son, grocers, 4 & 6 Market st
Stephenson Ellen W. (Miss), baby linen warehouse, 20 Market street
Stubbs John T. & Sons, wheelwrights, van & cart builders, joiners, undertakers, shoeing & general smiths (established 1754), 10 New street
Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths for P'ocklington sub-district, Mervene, The Mile. T N 70
Stubbs Reginald M. registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district & relieving & vaccination officer Pocklington district, Mervene, The Mile. T N 70
Sugden Doris (Miss), knitted goods dir. 49 George st
Summerson & Heninghem. solicitors, Brunswick place (T N 30) ; attend at High street, Market Weighton, weds
Summerson Alfd. J.P. solctr. & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the Urban District Council & to the burial authority, Brunswick place. T N 50
Tate J W. & Son, agricultural engineers, Barmby road
Territorial Force, 5th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Green Howards) (machine gun platoon, head quarter wing) (Maj. C. C. Goodricke, com­manding officer), Drill hall, Barmby rd
Theakston Bt. Hy. grocer, 27 MaTket st
Thirsk & Sons, millers (suction gas, steam & water), corn, cake & seed merchants, Anglo-Hungarian flour mills, West Green (T N 12) ; & at Nafferton ; Bever­ley ; York ; Driffield (T N 12) &. Bridlington. See Advt. Inden
*Thirsk Harry farmer, The Groves farm, West Green. T N 12
Thompson Geo. W. fishmonger, 22 Railway st. TN 10
Tinson William & Sons, builders, 28 Market street
Tinson Fredk. Richardson, shopkpr. 45 George st
Todd Geo. & Sons, grocers, 18 New pavement. TN49
Todd Chas. dog breeder, Sherbutt kennels,Chapmangate
Todd Rd. Thos. toy dir. George, st
Tozer Rd. wireless dir. Market pi. TN 71
Trust Houses Ltd. The Feathers P.H. Market place
Turner Charles, tailor, 9 Market place
Turner Jane E. (Mrs.), confectioner, 11 Market place
Tyne Wilfred Herbt. farmer, Willow waters, Burnby la
Vickerman George H. Wellington Oak inn, Canal head
Waite John Henry & Son, joiners, cabinet makers, upholsterers, house furnishers, undertakers & funeral furnishers, 5 & 7 Railway st
Walsh Frances (Miss), farmer, Canal head
Walsh Jn. Stephen, farmer, Woodhouse & dairyman, Market pl
Watson David R. Three Horse Shoes P.H. 9 Market st
Wesson Albt. butcher, 11 New pavement. T N 28
Westminster Bank Ltd. (Chas. Saxby, mngT.) (open daily 10 to 3 ; sat. 10 to 12), 31 Market pi. (T N 2) ; head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
White Albt. A. stamp distributor & postmaster, Rail­way st. T N 1
Williamson Dorothy (Mrs.), grocer, 21 Kirkland st
Willson Walter Ltd. grocers, Market pl
Wilson Jn. T. butcher, 7 New pavement. T N 69
Wilson William, carter, 31 Kirkland street
Wood Sarah (Mrs.),Old Red Lion P.H.Regent st. TN 78
Woods & Sons, drug stores, Waterloo bldgs. T N 17
Wraggett William, butcher, 23 Market street
York & District Clubs Brewery Ltd. brewers, Chap­mangate. T N Pocklington 22
Yorkshire Pearl Barley Mills Ltd. sausage meal manu­facturers & packers of peas, West Green. T N 12 ; T A " Barley, Pocklington "
Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd. (branch) (Thos. Scaife, actuary) (open sat. 2.30 to 3.30 p.m.), New st
Young Albert Edwin, solicitor (firm, Powell & Young), superintendent registrar; clerk to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon &; Holme Beacon divisions ; clerk & treasurer to Market Weighton Drainage Trustees & sec. to the Pocklington New Gas Co. Ltd. Waterloo buildings. T N 14
Young Chas. Geoffrey, solctr. (firm, Powell & Young), Waterloo bldgs

OUSETHORPE.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
*Hewison George Leargard, farmer, Mill farm
Hewison John, farmer, Clay farm
Walker Ben, farm bailiff to Whitworth's Brewery

YAPHAM.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
English Richard L. Smylett hall

COMMERCIAL
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Barker William, farmer
*Brigham Gerald, frmr.Yapham hall
Carr Albt. farmer
*English Rd. L.farmer & landowner, Smylett hall. T N Pocklington 35
Gray Hubert, farmer, Rowland hill
Hatfield Mark, farmer
Haywood Wm. joiner, Yapham mill
Johnson John, jobbing gardener
Legard Joseph, farmer
Ogle Chas. Hy. frmr. Yapham grange
Pearson Henry, farmer

MELTONBY.

COMMERCIAL.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Campbell Wm. farmer
Dale J as. farm bailiff to Thos. English esq. Meltonby ho
*Houslay John, farmer, The Grange
Keeble Benj. cowkeeper
Gilbank Geo. farmer
Moody Thos. farmer, New ho
Pearson Jn. Edwd. frmr. Manor farm
Pearson Thomas, farmer, Meltonby Hall farm