PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Movers and Shakers
> Alfred Summerson
> Barmby Moor Walk
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Feb - Short Talks

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
Wesleyan Methodist Church
The Wesleyan chapel, was built in 1864, on the site of the old one, is a handsome structure of red brick, with stone dressings, in the Grecian style. In front is a portico supported by six Doric pillars. A gallery runs round the interior, which enables the building to accommodate 700 persons. The original total cost was £2,300, which was raised by subscription. There are two houses for the ministers, one on each side of the chapel, which were built at a further outlay at the time of £1,000. There were three resident ministers.
Wesleyan Chapel
The Ministers houses were built on either side of the Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel 2
Interior of the Wesleyan Chapel shows the elaborate pulpit
and upper gallery
Wesleyan Chapel 1908
Elaborate Iron Railings decorate the front, long since gone
Early Wesley
Demolition in 1864 of the original Wesleyan Chapel built in 1813