PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
> 2017 AGM
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1929 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM AND MELTONBY AND OUSETHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union town, and the head of a county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 198 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6¼ north-west from Market Weigh­ton, 27 north-west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon divsion of the wapentake of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional division, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted under the Public Health Act, 1875, by Local Government Board Order No. 29,872, dated July 1st, 1893.
On Oct. 1st, 1901, by Local Government Board Order No. 42,567, part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.
The town is lighted with gas from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works 1 mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a consider­able stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts nnd a lofty embattled western tower (restored in 1913), with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, but traces of the Norman church still exist: there are several stainpd windows: the east window -was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy;  and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: the font coinsists of a square basin of fossilized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594 ; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard : on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which translated reads: — “Here Paulinus preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of " the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved : close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwold, last prioress out one of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss: the church was partially restored and* reseated in 1850; in 1854 the chancel walls were re faced, and in 1879 and 1889 father restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150: the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600: a memorial tablet was erected in 1920 to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, so constituted in 125:2, with the chapelries of Yaphum and Meltonby and Ousethorpe annexed, joint net yearly value £358, including 27 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Ian McNaugbton Smith B.A. of Queen's College, Cam­bridge.
The Roman Catholic church, in London street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse: there are rive stained windows, one of which was presented by tho Duke and Duchess of Norfolk: an organ gallery, the gift of the late Mrs. Thompson, of Poeklington, was erected in 1907: a stained window was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men connected with the church who fell in the Great War, 1914-18 : the church affords sittings for 120 persons, and attached is a residence for the priest. The Congregational chapel in Chapman gate, erected in 1807, has an endowment of £60 yearly, bestowed by John Jackson, d. 1874. and will seat 350 persons; there is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, in Chapmangate, and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Union street.
The Burial Ground, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 6a, rr. iop. and has two small chapels, one for the church of England and the other for Dissenters; it is under the control of the Urban District Council acting as a burial authority.
The Police Court and Station, in (Great George street, erected in 1899-1900 at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings ; the buildings comprise , a court room, magistrates' room, a witnesses* waiting ' room,  and  a  police  station,   with  residence  for  the superintendent.
Victoria Hall, in Chapmangate, and Central Hall, in Peter's square, are let for public meetings and lectures, and will hold about 450 persons each.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150. in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine making ; there are agricultural implement manufacturers, and in the neighbourhood several corn mills, clothing factory and pearl barley mills.
The market is held every Saturday. There are four fairs held here annually—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November; on the 9th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and the auction is held every Monday.
There are charities left by Henry Powell (1895), Mrs. Isa Leila Moor, Mrs. Ann Blackwell (1732), Robert Chapman (1718), Dr. Henry Watkinson, Mr. John Moor, William Westoby, John Seymour and John Cole, which are distributed by the Urban District Council.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the London and North Eastern Railway Company: the canal, made under the pro­visions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.
Cant, Harry Whitworth is lord of the manor and lay rector, and holds a court leet, baron and copyhold court: there are also a large number of small free­holders.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousethorpe. The township and Urban District of Pocklington contains 2,616 acres of land, including 75 acres token over from Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water; the population in 1921 was 2,645, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 2,837.

OUSETHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ miles north-by-east. There arc traces here of a large rect­angular moated enclosure, wherein once stood the mansion of a branch of the Aske family of the Pilgrimage of Grace " fame. The rectorial tithe rent-charge, amounting to £52. and the agistment tithe rent-charge of £19, belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The vicarial tithe rent-charge of £4 is the property of Capt. Harry Whitworth. The area is 333 acres; the population in 1921 was 18.
Letters through Pocklington, the nearest M. O. & T. office

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and a township, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a "western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-3, and restored about 1904, at a cost of ,£400, and has 100 sittings. The great or rectorial tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and under an instrument of apportionment, dated 12 June, 1844, a sum of £204 18s. gd. has been assigned to the benefice of Pocklington, and the rest retained by the Commissioners towards the payment of a curate. The glebe land here amounts to 29a. 1 r. 27 perches, and £10 a year, given by a former dean of York, also belongs to the benefice. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commissioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. W. D. Petch esq. and Mrs. F. Pearson are the principal landowners: 3s. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amount­ing to £10, called the Woods dole; 4s. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand ; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,888 ; the population in 1921 was 222.
Letters are delivered at Yapham from Pocklington & at Meltonby. Pocklington is the nearest M. 0. & T. office

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Railway street
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL. Meeting day, 1st Friday each month 7 p.m. at Clerk's offices, Brunswick place.

Chairman, Herbert Meynell.

Vice-Chairman, William Francis Hill.

Retire in 1929.

George William Haw
Thomas Scaife
Joseph Jesse Moor

Retire in 1930.
William Francis Hill
Charles Cyril Stather
William Turner Johnson

Retire in 1931.
Herbert Meynell
Johnson Hickes
James Johnson

Officers.
Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Brunswick place
Treasurers, Westminster Bank Ltd
Medical Officer of Health. Alex. Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd Faircote, West Green
Sanitary Inspector, Surveyor & Rating & Valuation Officer, Joseph Butterworth, Brunswick place

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION. (For addresses of magistrates; see complete list at front of book.)

Irwin Lord        P.C.,   G.C.S.I.,  G.C.I.E .
Smith Frederick
Johnson T. W
Laister James William
Procter Christopher
Thirsk  Thomas Spruce
Summerson Alfred
Wright George

 

The Chairmen, for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magis­trates
Clerk   to   the   Magistrates,   Henry   Sydney   Powell, Waterloo buildings
Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
The following places are included in the petty sessional division:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Cattou. Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby. Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Huggate. Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethoipe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton. Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss. Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The townships in the District are the same as in the Union, with the exception of Pocklington. Council meets at the Guardians' Board room monthly, on mondays, at 2 p.m.
Chairman, George Edward Wright J.P. Grimthorpe manor, Pocklington, York
Officials.
Clerk, Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street Pocklington
Treasurers Barclays Bank Ltd

Medical Officer of Health, Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Fairctite, West Green, Pocklington
Sanitary Inspector, James M.  Murdie M.S.I.A. Alnbank. The Mile, Pocklington
Highways Surveyor,  Tom   Ingle   M.Inst.M.  fc  C.E. Regent street, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON UNION.
Board day. monthly at the Board room, at 1.30 p.m. For list of places in the union, see information at front of book. The area of the union is 110,638 acres; the population in 1921 was 13,543
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Frederick Smith J.P. Red house, Yapham road, Pocklington
Clerk to the Guardians, Arthur J. Oliver, Regent st. Pocklington
Treasurers, Barclays Bank Ltd
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor for the Union, Reginald M. Stubbs, Aston villa.  Union street, Pocklington
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators:—Pocklington Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Alexander Ferrier Angus Fair-weather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Paircote, West Green, Pocklington ; Stamford Bridge district, Philip Mar-ston Sawkill M.B., Ch.B. Longlands, Fast Stamford Bridge, York ; Market Weighton Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Bichard Hamilton Ashwiu M.D.Lond., M.E.C.S.Kng. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, Wm. J. Carmichael M.B., C.M.Aberd. Elvington, near York; Huggate district, J. Perrin Brown M.B., Ch.B.Leeds. Wetwang, York
The Poor Law Institution, erected in 1852, enlarged in 1896, will hold 113 inmates; in 1878 a hospital was added; Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith B.A. hon. chaplain ; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., CM. medical officer; James Walter Curtis, master

Pocklington Registration District.

Superintendent Registrar, Henry Sydney Powell, Water­loo buildings. Pocklington; deputy, Edward Holman, Waterloo buildings
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, Reginald M. Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pock­lington ; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pocklington ; East Stamford Bridge sub-district, George William Etherington, Wilberfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, Miss Annie Roantree, High street, Market Weighton
Registrar of Marriages, Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate, Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Burial Ground, West Green, Alfred Summerson, clerk, Railway street

County Court; office, The Balk, Pocklington; office hours, on Wednesday & thursday only, from 10.30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ; His Honor John William McCarthy, judge; Frank Perkins, registrar & high bailiff; Francis G. Cains, assistant bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magistrates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kiln-wick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Der-went, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sanc­ton, Scrayin^ham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendalc, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby & Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Donald Sween Mackay, Red house, Dun-combe place, York, official receiver Certified Bailiffs appointed under the " Law of Distress Amendment Act,'' Richard Massey English, Market street; Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate; John Joseph Kempley & Samuel Sharp, Market Weighton
County Police Office, Great George street
Customs  &  Excise Office,   Gainford,  Algarth avenue.
Edgar W. Gibson, officer Fire Brigade, Brunswick place Victoria Hall, Chapmangate

TERRITORIAL ARMY.
The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment), 5th Battn. Machine Gun Platoon (Headquarter Wing), Drill hall, Barmbv road; Capt. C. C. Goodricke, commanding officer

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assessor & Collector of Income Tax, Thomas Scaife Ebor house, Chapmangate
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Alexander Ferrier A. Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale, Henry Sydney Powell, Waterloo buildings
Ministry of Labour Employment Office, New pave­ment, George H. Wrigglesworth, manager
Rating & Valuation Officer, Joseph Butterworth, Brunswick place
School Attendance Officer, George H. Mason. 5 Rich­mond terrace
Steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Millington, Fridaythorpe & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Henry S. Powell. Waterloo buildings
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, Robert J Hickes F.R.C.V.S. Market Weighton

PLACES OF WORSHIP.
All Saints' Church, Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith B.A. vicar; Rev. Ernest L. Dawe M.A. curate
SS.  Mary  & Joseph  Roman  Catholic,  London  street, Rev. John Owens, priest
Congregational, Rev. Joseph Archer
Primitive Methodist, Rev. John E. Ogden, sup:.
Wesleyan Methodist, Rev. John Keddie, supt. & Rev. Thomas J. Macartney, supernumerary

EDUCATIONAL.
The Endowed Grammar School, on West Green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cock­ing bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved: the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514); & when sub­sequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Mas­ter & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pockling ton." Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions: —1, Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tenable for 4 years at St. John's College, Cambridge ; 2, the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly & tenable for 4 years at any university, are similarly open ; 4, three County Council scholarships of £60 yearly each, tenable for 3 years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at any college or university approved by the County Council The following are tenable only at the school:—1, Ten local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of£10; 2, entrance scholarships for boarders, of £20 to £50 each yearly, awarded by examination ; 3, a limited number of entrance exhibitions of £10 to £15 The revenues of the school arose mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amounted to about _£1,ooo a year; the land has since been sold & the proceeds invested. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, suc­ceeded in considerably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A.: in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing body of 12 members. Alderman F. Smith J.P. chairman; Arthur J. Oliver, Regent street, clerk to the gover­nors. During 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addition of a new wing, at a cost of about £6,000; in 1921 a swimming bath was added & in 1923 Dolman house was bought as an additional boarding house; in 1927 a new Assembly hall was built : there are now (1928) three boarding houses, & about 18o boys; head master, Percy Cooper Sands M..V. late fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge

Railway Station, West Green (L. & K, E)

CARRIERS to: Barmby-on-the-Moor—Jack West, from  ' Black  Bull,' daily
Bishop  Wilton—Walter  Fugill,   from   ' The  Feathers,' tues. & sat
Holme-on-Spalding   Moor—John   Robinson,   from   the ‘Black Bull,' on sat*
Hull—Arthur Stephenson, Tues. & fri
Millington—John R, Oxtoby, from  Black Swan,' daily
Nunburnholme-—Thomas    Frear,    from    * Oddfellows' Arms,' sat
Seaton Ross—R. Robinson, from ' Black Bull.* sat
Warter—John Slater, from ; Black Bull/ tues. & sat. & Fred Beal, from Buck hotel, sat
York—John Robert Bell, from his house in 31 Union st. thurs. & sat

PRIVATE   RESIDENTS.

(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.) ,
Allison Alfred, Corner cottage.Mile rd
Allison Harry, Uplands, The Mile    
Allison Harold,Wyn Garth.Algarth av
Allison Joseph, Silverthorne, Algarth avenue
Anderson   Alfred   William,    Perry mount, The Mile
Andrews Frederick, 31 Chapmangate
Archer Rev. Joseph, The Manse
Barker Geo. Prospect house
Barlow Walter. Avenue ho. Percy rd
Barnard John Marles, Sedgwick, Algarth avenue
Barnes George, Ivydene, Percy road
Beal John James, 6 Prospect place
Beal Miss A. Beech house, Percy rd
Bedford Thomas.Linden villa, Garth's end
Beedham   George,    Welton    house, Burnby lane
Binnington Mrs. Myrtle grove, Chapmangate
Blackburn Arthur. 1 Regent street
Blacken John William, Carlton house, Percy road
Braithwaite Miss, Bloomsbury place
Brigham  Bobert, Waynflete house
Brook Mrs.  Ellen, Hill crest,  Yapham road
Broughton  Stanley,  Ashfield,  Canal head
Butterworth Joseph,  Rosedene,  The Mile
Carlton James, 7 York view
Cattle William W. 3 York view
Clayton Sutcliffe, Algarth lodge, The Mile
Cliff Reginald, Westfield, West green
Coulson Fred, Lyngarth, Algarth av
Craven Herbert H. 2 Prospect place
Cundall Thos. Bowser, 40 Market pl
Curtis Miss Annie, Elmhurst, Chapmangate
Dales Charles William, 1 York view
Dawe Rev. Ernest L., M.A. (curate), Barmby road
Dawson James, Stoneleigh, Union st
Day Mrs. John, New street
Dixon   Gordon,North-royd, Algarth av
Dobson   Clarence,   Rudstone   house, Barmby road
English Thomas, Lyndhurst
Everingham    Mrs.'  John    Thomas, Stamford villa, Barmby road
Everingham    Sydney,    Gowan   lea. Barmby road
Everingham Wycliffe G. Acacia cottage, The Mile
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.D., CM. Faircote, West Green
Forth Mrs. 42 New street
Fowler Geo.Hy. The Briars, Burnby la
Fowler Mark, Derwent ho.Chapmangt
Fox Reuben, Peters square
Gautry Frank, The Balk, Brunswick place
Gibson Mrs. Sarah, Pontac.Algarth av
Gilson Percy, 10 York view
Gilson   Mrs.   Louisa.   Canton   villa. Garth's end
Gilyead James Wm. 44 New street
Glossop Harry, Karaburun, Mile rd
Glossop William, Mile road
Goodricke Chas. Coote, 12 Burnby la
Grant T. Cliffe, Powisland, Union st
Harrison Mansfield, Brunswick house, Brunswick place
Hartley Thomas William, Garth ho. Garth's end ;
Heninghem   Thomas   George,   The Gables, The Mile
Heninghem   George     Hemingsley, Danetre, Garth's end
Hesslewood Arthur M, Station house
Holdsworth John, Fernlea, Percy rd
Hotham Harry M. Croft villa, Garth's end
Hudson Mrs. Sarah, Garth's end
Jebson Miss Alice, 53 Chapmangate
Jebson William Henry, Wilton house
Johnson E. B., B.A. (assist, master), Grammar school
Keddie  Rev.   John   (Wesley an),   37 Chapmangate
Keenleyside George William, North view, Barmby road
Kempley    Misses,    Rawcliffe,    The Grove
Knowles Oliver, Panel house, Percy ro
Laister   James   William   J. P.   The Woodlands
Lee Miss H. Pembroke lodge, Chapmangate
Lee H. Stanley Osborne M.A. (assistant    master   Grammar    school), Dolman house
Lipscombe   H.    0.,   B.Sc.    (assist. master), Grammar school
Marginson John, 21 The Grove
Marshall    Frederick    William,    St, John's lodge
Matthews James Henry, 29 George st
Meynell Herbert, Wells house, Chapmangate
Nock J.  H., B.Sc.  (assist, master), Richmond terrace
Oliver Arthur John, Thurnby villa, Garth's end
Ogden   Rev.    John   G.   (Primitive Methodist), Bourne house, Union st
Owens Rev. John (Roman Catholic), London street
Pay   Thomas   W.,   M.A.   (assistant master), Wilberforce lo. West grn
Pearson Fredk. Beechwood, The Grove
Petch Wm. D. Sunnyside,Railway st
Powell Henry Sydney, The Bungalow, Bumby lane
Procter Christopher J.P. Market pl
Proctor Wm. Hy. Pexton ho.Percy rd
Richardson Daniel, 9 York view
Robinson John, 4 York view
Rymer Herbert, Bank ho. Market pl
Sands Percy C, M.A. (head master), Grammar school
Sargent Jn. Thos. Grove ho.The Grove
Saxby Charles,St.Quentin,Garth's end
Scaife Francis, Neswick villa
Scaife Mrs. 4 Prospect place
Scaife Thomas, Ebor house,  Chapman gate
Scott Miss Mary, 31 George street
Sherburne Robert, 21 Market street
Silburn Mrs. Henry, 51 Chapmangate
Skinner Atkinson, Wold view, Yapham road
Smith  Rev.   Ian McNaughton  B.A. (vicar), The Vicarage, The Grove
Smith Fredk. J.P. Red ho. Yapham rd
Smith Mrs. Mary, 8 York view
Smith   Mrs.   Mary,   Yapham   mill, Yapham road
Smith Robert, 5 York view
Smithsou Thomas Herbert, 35 Great George street
Sootheran Gerald, Mill farm,The Mile
Stather Cyril, Holmlea, Yapham rd
Steel Fredk. Tyne vil. Garth's end
Steels Albert Edward, Globe, house, Market place
Stewart   Major    Percy    M.,    M.A. Burnby hall, Burnby rd
Stewart   John,   Bloomsburv   house, The Balk
Stewart Miss, West Green
Stubbs John, 36 New street
Suddaby  Mrs. Violet   Myrtle,   The Laurels, The Mile
Summerson Alfred J.P. Wilberforce house, West Green
Summerson Miss,Hosmer lo. Percy rd
Theakston Robert Henry, Field view, Percy road
Thirsk   Thomas   Spruce   J.P.   The Groves. West Green
Thirsk Harry, West green
Thornham Evelyn L. 15 Union street
Thomas  Mrs.   Elizabeth,   Rainshaw, Algarth avenue
Tinson   William,   Hovingham   villa, Percy road
Todd   Charles,    Sherwood   cottage, Chapman gate
Todd George, Sherbutt house, Chapmangate
Todd Mrs.      Chapmangate,
Walkington  Mrs.  Emelia  Jane,  St. Norbert's, Percy road
Waiters James, Myrtle villa, Garth's end
Wilson Robert, 30 Union street
Wood Misses Hilda & Eva, Ingledene
Wordsworth Joseph, 2 York view
Wray Henry, Wayside, The Mile
Young    Albert    Edwin,   Clyniping, Garth's end
Young Mrs. Louisa, Chapmangate

COMMERCIAL.

Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m for all businesses & professions, except hair dressers, whose day is Thurs.
Marked thus 0 farm 150 acres or over.
Allison Joseph & Sons Ltd. bldrs. The Mile.   T N 37
Allison Frank, thrashing machine propr. see Duckworth & Allison
Bairstow Dora (Mrs.), draper, 3 Great George st
Barclays Bank Ltd.  (branch) (Herbt. Rymer, mngr.) (open daily 10 to 3 ; thurs. 10 to 12), 42 Market pL (T N 21) ; head office, 54 Lombard st. London EO
Barker Frank, Royal Oak inn, Great George street
Barlow Walt, chemist, 29 Market pl.   T N 5
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house, London st
Bell Jn. Rt. carrier (motor), 31 Union st
Black Bull Hotel (J. S. Walsh, proprietor), commercial catering done, reasonable charges, Market place
Blackburn Arthur, ironmonger, 10 Market place
Brewer Richard, butcher. 34 Union street
British Legion Club (C. Bennison, sec), Chapmangate
Brocklebank Thos. farmer, Northfield, Meltonby
Broughton Frederick Charles, butcher, 10 Market street
Burial Ground (Alfred Summerson, clerk). West Green
Butterworih Jsph. sanitary inspector, surveyor & rating & valuation officer to the Urban District Council capt.  &  sc.   of  the Fire  Brigade.   Brunswick   pl. TN 50
Buttle Eric, painter, 31 Market street
Buttle Herbert William, boot repairer, 36 Union street
Cains  Fras.   Geo.   assistant  bailiff  of  County   court. Prospect ho. Canal head
Cains Henry Parkin, miller (oil & water),  Devonshire mill, Canal lane
Campbell Jn. Geo. farmer, The Grange, Beilby la
Central   Hall   Cinema  (Central Hall Cinema  Co. Ltd. proprietors), Peter's square.   T N 46
Cook John, builder. 25 Great George street
Cook William Newlove, baker, 2 Regent street
Coulson Arthur, grocer, 8 Chapmangate
Cooper Dora (Mrs.), confctnr. 7 New st
Countv Court (Frank Perkins, registrar & high bailiff) office, The Balk
County Police Office (Rt. Maw, supt.). Great George st
Cundall Robert & Co.  manufacturing &  agricultural chemists;  sheep dip & cattle medicines, seed mer­chants & wine & spirit merchants, 5 Market' street Cundall Edwd. farmer,  Market st
Customs & Excise Office (Edgar W. Gibson, officer), Gainford, Algarth av
Dale William James, pork butcher, 27 Market street
Duck with  &  Allison,   thrashing  machine  proprs.   27 London street
Dobson & Co. medical printers, Barmby rd.   T N 32
Drake Wm. Cross Keys P.H. Market st
Easterby Robert, farmer, Clayfield farm
Easton James, blacksmith. Church lane
Eastwood John R. tailor, 2 Market street
Endowed Grammar School (Percy C. Sands M,A. headmaster), West Green.   T N 25
ENGLISH R, M. & SON, auctioneers  & valuers, estate agents, corn, seed & manure merchants, Mar­ket street (T N 6);  & at Market Weighton ; attend markets at Leeds ; York ; Wakefield ; Driffield & Hull
Evans Jsph. chimney sweep, Union st
Everingham Brothers, motor car, omnibus & char-a-banc proprietors ; garage, repairs, 10 & 12 Railway street.   T N 26
Everingham J. T. & Sons, tailors, 12 Railway street
Everingham Wycliffe G. & Son, motor garage, Great George st. (T N 24) & wireless dlrs. Market pl
Fairweather  Alex.   Ferrier Angus  M.D.,   C.M. Aberd. physcn. medical officer & public vaccinator Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Pocklington union, & medical officer of health  to the Urban  &  Rural District  Councils & medical officer to the Poor Law Institution & Post Office  &  certifying  factory   surgn.   Faircote,   West Green.   T N 7
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, 40 Union street
Fielder John Elliott, joiner, 2 London street
Finch Joseph Noble, Oddfellows' Arms P H.Union street
Fire Brigade (Jsph. Butterworth, capt. & sec), Bruns­wick pl.   T N 50
Forth   W.   &   C.   printers,   bookbinders,   booksellers, stationers,   newsagents,   &   athletic   &   fancy   goods depot, advertising agents & billposters, Market pl. ; printing works, Dean's lane.   T N 39
Foster Emma (Mrs.), Black Swan P.H. 26 Market place
Fowler George Henry, draper, 46 Market place
Fox Reuben, cycle engineer, Market place.   TN 11
Freke Alfd. Bernard, dentist, 15 Regent st
Gautry Frank, draper, 37 Market place
Gibson Edgar W. customs & excise officer, Gainford, Algarth av
Giles Bert, butcher, 34 Union st
Gilson William & Son, watch makers, 33 Market place
Grainger Wm. & Sons, motor haulage contrctrs. 18 & 20 Regent st
Grainger Annie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Regent st
Grant Mary (Miss), china & glass dlr
Grant Tom Cliffe, builders' merchant & lime & salt mer­chant, Union street
Gray Richard, saddler, Peter's square
Harrison Mary (Mrs.), common lodging house, Union st
Harvey Frederick J. hair dresser, 6 Union street
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, 38 Market place
Heninghem Geo. Hemingsley, solctr. (firm, Summerson & Heninghem), Brunswick pl.   T N 50
Henmghem Thos. Geo. solctr. & commissioner for oaths (firm, Summerson & Heninghem), Brunswick pl
Hessle wood Arth. M. station muster & goods agt. Railway station
Hewson Florence (Mrs.), shopkpr. New pavement
Hill Win. Fras. garage propr. Great George st. & New pavement.   T IV 27
Hind Frcdk. Hugh Griffiths, painter, 12 Chapmangute
Hopwood Edward, farmer, Toft house, Beilby Lane
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr Jane
Hotham Charles & Sons, butchers, 11 New pavement. T N 2b
Hotham Harry, boot repr. 24 Market st
Howdenshire  Chronicle   & Pocklingtou  Weekly   News (branch office), The Mill
Howe George W. A. coal agent, Railway station
Ingle Tom M.Inst.M. & C.E. highways surveyor to the Rural District Council, Regent st
Jebson   William   Henry,   veterinary   surgeon,   Wilton house (Tel. Pocklington 9); & at Bishop Wilton
Jefferson Chas. Albt. china & glass dlr. Peter's sq
Johnson Fred & Son, rope & twine mkrs. New st
Johnson James, florist, 7 Great George street
Johnson Wm. Turner, shopkpr. Market pl
Jowett Hanson, ironmngr. 3 Market st
Kemp's Cafe, Railway street
Kneeshaw Harry, farmer, Canal head
Laister Jsph. & Son, rope & twine mkrs. 30 & 32 Market pl.   T N 44
Lamb Thomas J. (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 20 Railway street
Laughton W. & L. farmers, Kimberley house, Union st
Layfield Joseph William, fruiterer, 14 Market place
Lee Fred (Mrs.), tobcenst. 59 Market pl.   T N 40
Leonard Robert, farmer, The Balk
Lister John & Son, cab proprs. 15 & 17 Great George st
Lundy & Son, watch makers, 18 Railway street
Majestic Cinema Co. Chapmangate
Manners & Sons, cabnt. mkrs. Great George st
Marshall   Frederick    William    L.R.C.P.    &    S.Edin., L.B.F.P.S. & L.M.Glas. physician, St. John's lodge, Barmby road.   T N 4
Mason Geo. H. school attendance officer (Pocklington district), 5 Richmond ter
Matthews Jas. Hy. agricltrl. engnr. Great George st. T N 42
Maw Rt.  police supt.  & inspector under Diseases of Animals   Acts   for   Wilton   Beacon   division,   Great George st.   T N 13
Meek John, hair dresser, 10 Market street
Meynell Herbt. grocer, 1 Market pl. & corn dir. Chap­mangate.   T N 34
Middlebrough John & Sons, maltsters, Chapmangate
Midland Bank Ltd. (open daily 10 to 3 ; thurs. 10 to 12), Market place
Millward George Edward, boot maker, 16 Market street
Ministry of Labour Employment Office(Geo.H.Wrigglesworth, mngr.), New pavement
Moody Edward, joiner, London street
Moor & Brook, plumbers, 16 New pavement
Moor Arthur, Buck hotel, 24 Market place.   T N 30
Moor Joseph J. millers' traveller, 33 Great George street
Moor Wilfred, builder, London street
Morrill Thomas, coal merchant, 7 Richmond terrace
Munro Henry F. confectioner, 18 & 20 Chapmangate
Murdie Jas.  M.,  M.I.S.A.   sanitary  inspector to the Rural District Council, Alnbank, The Mile
Myers Albert, cowkeeper, Great George street
Nelson Arthur G. shoe maker & dir. 39 & 41 Market pl
Nicholson George, farmer, Northfield Farm house
North Eastern Railway Coal Depot (G. W. A.  Howe, agent), Railway station
North Eastern Railway Goods Depot (Arth, M. Hesslewood, agt.), Railway station, West Green
Oliver Arth. J. clerk to the Rural District Council & clerk to the Guardians* Regent st.   T N 3
Palmer J. H. Fellgate, dentist (attends sat. 3.3.0 to 5 p.m.), 15 Market pl
Perkins Frank, registrar & high bailiff countv court office, The Balk
Pocklington Canine Association (Arth. H. Todd, sec), 35 Market pl
Pocklington Conservative Club (George W. Haw, sec),
Railway street Pocklington Coronation Band (Jas. Wilson, conductor), 4 Alexandra pl
Pocklington Cycle Club (R. D. Gray, sec). Garth's End
Pocklington & District Industrial Co-operative Society Limited  (George William Haw, manager),  grocers,
Market place & New street.   T N 30
Pocklington Floral & Horticultural Society (W. Forth, sec)
Pocklington Golf Club Ltd. (A. E. Young, sec.) ; regis­tered office, Waterloo bldgs
Pocklington Golf Club (BeV. E. L. Dawe M.A. hon. sec); links, Yapham rd
Pocklington Horse & Foal Show (H. S. Powell, hon. sec), Waterloo building's
Pocklington Literary Society (Jas. M. Murdie M.I.S.A. Alnbank, The Mile, hon. sec)
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H. S. Powell, sec); office, Waterloo buildings; works, West Green
Pocklington Rugby Club (Eric Scaife, sec), Ebor ho. Chapmangate
Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited (Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate, sec), Chapel hill
Powell & Young, solctrs. & commissioners lor oaths, Waterloo bldgs.   T X 14
Powell Henry S. farmer
Powell Henry Sydney,solicitor & commissioner for oaths (firm, Powell'& Young), & sec to the New Gas Co. Limited, superintendent registrar, clerk & treasurer to Market Weighton Drainage Trustees, deputy steward for the manor of Millington-with-Littie G-ivendale, clerk to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme Beacon divisions & steward of the manors of Pocklington, of Barmby-upon-the-Moor, Millington, Fridavthorpe & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Waterloo buildings (T N 14) ; & at Market Weighton (sats. only) & York
Procter Bros. (Pocklington) Ltd. drapers 56. & hosiers 61, Market pl
Procter Christphr. grocer, 18 Market pl
Read Thos, greengro. 49 Market pl
Richardson Bros, potato mers. Market pl.   T N 38
Richardson John, monumental mason, New street
Richardson Jn. Edwd. agricltrl. implement mkr. Albion foundry
Robinson Percy, farmer, Oak farm, Yapham rd
Robson John, coach builder. Union street
Robson Richard, butcher, Church lane
Rowley  Charles  &  Co.  Ltd.  who.   clothiers,  London works. London st.   T A "Rowley;" T N 8
Rowley & Son, tailors, 11 & 13 Market st.   T N 8
Rowley Frederick, insurance agent, 7 Victoria terrace
Rymer Herbt. manager Barclays Bank Ltd.42 Market pl
Saxby Chas. mngr. Westminster Bank Ltd. Market pl
Scaife F. & N stationers, newsagents & fancy good's. 10 & 21 Market place
Scaife Harold, cycle agent, tobacconist & confectioner, 6 Market place
Scaife Thos. registrar of marriages, assessor &, collector of income tax & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank
Ltd. auctnr. & valuer & certified bailiff, Ebor ho. Chapmangate
Scott &  Carlton, fishmongers;   best quality, fresh & fried, Market place.   T N 18
Sellman William, photographer, 23 Chapmangate
Shepley Mary Kate (Mrs.), fancy draper, 15 Market st
Shillaker Herbert, grocer, 2 Market place
Silburn Lionel, cattle dealer, 51 Chapmangate
Smart Agnes (Mrs.), wardrobe dlr. 12 New pavement
Smith Jane E. & Annie E. (Misses), confetnrs. 1 Great George st
Smith Ernest, joiner, 27 Union st
Sootheran Gerald, farmer, The Mile farm. The Mile
Spivey Elizabeth (Mrs.), pork butcher, 38 Market st
Stabler Geo. fried fish dir. Regent st
Star Supply Stores, grocers, 54 Market pl.   T N 57
Station  Hotel  (Et.  Adams,  propr.).  New  pavement. T N 48
Stather Chas. draper, 25 & 27 Market pl
Staveley William, grocer, 57 Market place
Stead & Simpson Ltd. boot makers, 23 Market place .
Steel Joseph & Son, builders, 39 & 41 George street
Steels Charles Richard, house furnisher, 10 Regent st
Steels Francis H. cabinet maker. 9 London street
Stephenson   Ellen  W.   (Miss),   baby  linen  warehouse, 20 Market street
Stephenson Rt. shopkpr. 30 Chapmangate
Stephenson Wm. Nelson, grocer, 4 & 6 Market st
Stubbs John T. & Sons, wheelwrights, 10 New street
Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district, Aston villa, Union street
Stubbs Reginald M. registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington  sub-distriet  &   relieving  & vaccination
officer for the union & collector for the guardians, Aston villa, Union street.
Summerson & Heninghem, solicitors. Brunswick place (T X 50); attend at High street, Market Weighton,
weds
Summerson Alfd. J.P. solctr. & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the Urban District Council & to the burial authority, Brunswick place.   T N 50
Tate J. W. & Son, agricultural engineers, Barmby road
Territorial Force. 5th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Green Howards) (machine gun platoon, head quarter wing)  (Capt. C. C.  Goodricke.  com­manding officer), Drill hall. Barmby rd
Thirsk & Sons, millers (suction gas, steam & water), corn,   cake   &   seed  merchants  & farmers.   Anglo -Hungarian Flour mills, West Green (T N 12); & at Naflerton;  Beverley;   York;   Driffield (T N 12)  & Bridlington.   Sea Advt. Index °
Thirsk Harry, farmer. West Green
Thompson Geo. W. fishmonger, 22 Railway st.   TK 10
Tinson William & Sons, builders, 28 Market street
Tinson Fredk. Richardson, shopkeeper, 42 Gt. George st
Todd Geo. & Sons, grocers, 18 New pavement.   TN49
Todd Arth. H. florist, 35 Market pl
Todd Chas. dog breeder, Sherbutt kennels,Chapmangate
Todd Richard C. toy dealer. Great George street
Tozer Rd. wireless dlr  52 Market pl
Trust Houses Ltd. The Feathers P.H. Market place
Turner Charles, tailor, 9 Market place
Turner Jane E. (Mrs.), confectioner, 11 Market place Tyne
Wilfred Herbt. farmer. Willow waters
Vickerman George H. Wellington Oak inn, Canal head
Victoria Hall, Chapmangate
Waite John Henry & Son, joiners, 5 & 7 Railway street
Walsh Frances (Miss), farmer, Canal head
Walsh Jn. Stephen, farmer, Woodhouse & dairyman. Market pl
Watson David R. Three Horse Shoes P.H. 9 Market st
Westminster Bank Ltd. (Chas. Saxby.  mngr.)  (open daily 10 to 3 ; thurs. 10 to 12), 31 Market pi.   T N2
White Albt. A. stamp distributor &; postmaster. Rail­way st.   T N 1
Willson Walter Ltd. grocers. Market pl
Wilson Geo. Rt. grocer, 21 Kirkland st
Wilson John T. butcher, 7 New pavement
Wilson William, carter. 31 Kirkland street
Wood Fredk. Wm. drug stores, Waterloo bldgs .T N 17
Wood Sarah (Mrs.), Old Red Lion P.H. Recent st
Wraggett William, butcher. 23 Market street
York & District Clubs Brewery Ltd.  brewers, Chapmangate.   T N Pocklington 22
Yorkshire Pearl Barley Mills Ltd. sausage meal manufacturers & packers of peas, West Green.   T N 12; T A "Barley, Pocklington '
Yorkshire Penny  Bank  Ltd.   (branch)   (Thos.   Scaife, actuary) (open sat. 2.30 to 3.30 p.m.), New st
Young Albt. Edwin, solctr. (firm, Powell & Young), Waterloo bldgs.   T N 14

OUSETHORPE

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

* Hewison George Leargard, farmer, Mill farm
Hewison John, farmer, Clay farm
*Rook Robt. Farmer, Ousethrope farm

YAPHAM

Private Resident

English Richard, L., Smylett hall

Commercial

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

Barker, William, Farmer
*Brigham Gerald, farmer, Yapham Hall
Carr, Albert, farmer
English Rd., L. farmer & Landowner, Smylett Hall, TN 35
Gray, Hubert, farmer, Rowland Hill
Hatfield Mark, farmer
Haywood Wm. Joiner, Yapham Mill
Johnson John, jobbing gardener
Legard Joseph, farmer
Ogle Chas., Hy. Farmer, Yapham Grange
Pearson Henry, farmer
Pratt George E. farm bailiff to Richard L. English
Toder Edwd. Hole, farmer, Manor ho

MELTONBY

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
Campbell Wm. Farmer
Coverdale Albt. Farmer, New ho
Edmonds Saml. Farmer
English Thos. Farmer, Meltonby ho
*Houslay John, farmer, The Grange
Keeble Benj. Cowkeeper
Pearson Jn. Edwd. Frmr, Manor farm
Pearson Thomas, farmer, Meltonby Hall farm