PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
> 2017 AGM
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1897 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON,

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM, MELTONBY AND OUSTHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union town, and the head of a county court district, with a Station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway, 195 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6¼ north-west from Market Weighton, 27 northwest from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough,in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional divison, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York.Under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted in 1893 under the " Public Health Act, 1875."
The town is lighted with gas, from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works one mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited; a considerable stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with two north chapels,  clerestoried nave,  aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells : there are ten stained windows ;  the  east window was erected by the 'late Admiral the Hon.Arthur Duncombe,   of Kilnwick Percy;    and there  are memorial  windows   to  Mrs.   Powell   and to  the  Loftus family : there are still some traces of the original Normanchurch:  the font consists of a square basin of fossilized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural  monument   to  Thomas   Dolman   esq.   ob.   1589; another to Robert Southeby, ob.  1594;   and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and 'his wife, d. 1837 : at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c.1360, discovered in the churchyard: on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which translated reads : —" Here Paulinus preached in the year 627 :" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of  the manor, over which is a carving in oak of "the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved:  close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret  Easingwald,   last  prioress  of  the  Benedictine Nunnery of Wilberfoss : the church was partially restored and 'reseated in 1850;   in  1854 chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150 : there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is; a vicarage, so constituted in 1252, with the chapelry of Yapham and Meltonby annexed, net yearly value £233, including 25 acres of glebe, with residence', in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1894 by the Rev. John Mason M.A. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, and chaplain to Pocklington union.

The Catholic church, in Union street, dedicated to SS Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfleld, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse; it has. four stained windows am sittings for 120 persons ; attached to the church is a residence for the priest.
There is a Congregational chapel in Chapmangate, with an endowment of £10 yearly, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

The Cemetery, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 2a. or. 19p. and has two small chapels, one for the Church of England and the other for Catholics and Dissenters ; it is under the control of a Burial Board of 5 members.
The Odd Fellows' Hall, in Union street, built in 1839, is let for public meetings and lectures, and will hold 250 persons. The building originally erected in 1880 for the purposes of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington, is at present occupied as a private residence. The Wilson Memorial Reference Library, was established with part of the funds collected to found the Wilson Memorial Hospital.

The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine making and brick making; there are agricultural implement manufactories,and in the neighbourhood several corn mills.

The market is held every Saturday, and is well supplied with provisions. There are four fairs held here annually for cattle—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November; on the gth of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and an auction is held every alternate Monday.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the North Eastern Railway Co.: the canal, made under the provisions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.

Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy, is lord of the manor and lay rector-and principal landowner, and holds a court leet, baron and copyhold court, annually : there are also a large number of small freeholders.
Pocklington parish comprises the town-ships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousthorpe. The township of Pocklington contains 2,373 acres ; rateable value, £10,621 ; the population in 1891 was 2,577, including 5 officers and 69 inmates in the workhouse, and in the parish, 2,785.

OUSTHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rectangular moated enclosure. The great tithe, amounting to £71, belongs to- the Dean of York. The land is the property of Major-Gen. C. W. Duncombe and Mrs:. A. B. Lamb. The area is 330 acres ; rateable value, £447 ; the population in 1891 was 17.

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and townships, about i mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is- 2 miles north-northwest, :and the latter 2 north-by-west. from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of c'hancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and has- TOO sittings.

The great tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commissioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. The land belongs to various owners : 35. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 45. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand ; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Mettonby is 1,818 ; rateable value, £2,630 ; the population in 1891 was 191. Parish- Clerk, Simon Fountain.
Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, arrive at 10.15 a.m. There is no Letter Box. The postman takes the letters about 2.45 p.m.
Parochial School (mixed:), erected in 1875 for 45 children; average attendance, 20 ; Miss Mary Fountain, mistress

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office 1, Dean's lane. — John Ashby, -sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.8 a.m. ; delivery commences at 7.45 a,m. & 5.45 p.m. ; dispatched: at 10.40 a.m. 6.17 & 8.20 p.m. Letter Box is cleared at 10.35 am & 6.10 & 8.10 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m
Wall Letter Boxes cleared as follows : London street,   10.5   a.m,   5.50  &  7.50 p.m. ;    Sundays,
5.50 p.m George   street,   10.5   a.m.   5.50  &  7.50 p.m. ;   Sundays,
5.50 p.m Railway Station, 10.15 a.m. & 6.15 p.m. week days only

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON
PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.


Calverley-Rudston Trevor Wheler esq. D.L.  Allerthorpe hall, Pocklington, chairman Bardwell Thomas Newman Frederick esq. M.A.,  S.C.L.,D.L.. Boltonhall, Wilberfoss, York
Coates Thos. esq. Full Sutton vil. Stamford Bridge, York
Duncombe Major-General Charles Wilmer, Kilnwick Percy
Wilson Charles Henry esq. M.P., D.L. Warter priory
Wright Fredk. esq. Derwent Hill, Stamford Bridge, York Clerk   to the Magistrates,   Thomas  Robson,  Waterloo buildings
Petty Sessions are held at the Magistrates' room, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month (except October), at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, .special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
The following- places are included in the petty sessional division : — Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby, Great & Little Givendale,Grimthorpe,Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millngton, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge-East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent. Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Meeting day,   1st friday each month 7 p.m.   at  Clerk's offices,  Railway street.

Chairman, Thomas Grant.

Retire April 1897. - Henry Sydney Powell
Richard Massey English
Thos. Spruce Thirsk
Robert Todd - Retire April 1899
George Brigham
Retire April 1898. – Thomas Grant
Robert Cundall
Fredk. Smith
Henry Thomas

Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Railway street
Medical Officer,  Alex.  Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A.,
M.D., C.M. Faviscote house Sanitary Inspector,  Surveyor   &  Rate Collector,  George Henry Gibson, Regent street

RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Meets at the  Guardians'  Board room fortnightly,  on tuesday, at 2.30 p.m.

Clerk, Thomas Robson, Waterloo place
Treasurer, Benjamin Heselton, York Union Bank
Medical Officers of Health, Pocklington division,Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., C.M. Faircote house, Pocklington ; Market Weighton division, Thomas Jewison Jefferson M.D. Market Weighton
Sanitary Inspector, J. H. Greenshaw, Warter
Surveyor, R. J. Knapman

POCKLINGTON UNION.
Board day, every alternate tuesday, at the Board room, at 2 p.m.

Pocklington union comprises the following places : — Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor,Bielby,Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, East Cottingwith, East Stamford Bridge, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Goodmanham, Great Givendale-with-Grimthorpe, Harswell, Hayton, High Catton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough-with-Easthorpe, Low Catton, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, North Cliff, Nunburnholme., Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton-with-Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton, Skirpen-beck, South Cliff, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent,Thix-endale, Thornton, Thorpe-le'-Street, Walpington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowtliorpe. The area of the union is 110,638 acres ; rateable value in 1896, £117,662; the population in 1891 was 14,579. Clerk.to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington
Treasurer, Benj. Heselton, York Union Bank, Pocklington
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor for the Union, Mark Fowler, Chapmangate, Pocklington
Medical Officers' &Public Vaccinators : — Pocklington No. 1 districtj Alex.Dionysius Hobson Leadman L.R.C.P.& S. Edin., F.S.A. Oak ho. Pocklington; No. 2 district, Alex. Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.A., M.D., C.M. Faircote house, Pocklington ; Bishop Wilton district, Frederick Wright, Derwent house, Stamford Bridge ; Market Weighton, No. 1 district, Thomas Jewison Jefferson M.D. Market Weighton ; No. 2 district, Thomas Jewison Jefferson M.D. Market Weighton ; Sutton-on-Derwent district. Wm. Trend Hamlyn Von Beverhoudt L.R.C.P. Edin. Elvington hall, Elvington
Superintendent Registrar, Jonathan Chapman Lee, Great George street, Pocklington ; deputy, George Edward Barlow, Market place, Pocklington
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, Mark Fowler, Chapmangate, Pocklington ; deputy, Thos. Fowler, Market street, Pocklington ; East Stamford Bridge sub-district, Robert Martin Butcher, Fangfoss, York'.; deputy, Harry A. Petty, Fangfoss, York ; Market Weighton sub-district, James F. Roantree, High street, Market Weighton-; deputy, Miss Roantree, Market Weighton
Registrar of Marriages, John Ashby, Post office, Dean's lane, Pocklington ; deputy, William Albert Capelin, Post office, Dean's lane, Pocklington
The Union. Workhouse, situated on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in 1852, at a cost of £1,608, on a site purchased for £360, it was enlarged in 1896, at an estimated cost of £4,000, & will hold 113 inmates; in 1878 a hospital was added, for 30 patients ; Joseph Sargeant, master ; Rev, John Mason M.A. chaplain ; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.X., M.D., C.M. medical officer; Mrs. Fannie Marie Sargeant, matron

School Attendance Committee.
Meets at Board room fortnightly, on tuesday.at 1.30 p.m. Clerk, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington School Attendance Officer & Inquiry Officer, Mark Fowler, Chapmangate,  Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

County Court; office, Railway street; office hours, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on Wednesdays, when it is closed at 1 p.m.; His Honor Francis Alfred Bedwell, judge ; John Thomas Sargent, registrar; John Ashby, high bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magistrates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Button, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Der-went, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Tborpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham & Youlthorpe
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Edward Towler Willdnson, 28 Stonegate, York, official receiver
Certified bailiffs appointed under the " Law of Distress Amendment Act,” Richard Massey English, Percy road; Robert Cundall, Market street; John Ashby, Dean's lane; Ralph Johnson Scaife, Market place & John James Kempley, South cliffe
County Police Office, Great George street; John Rawlings, superintendent & one sergeant; also one inspector & one sergeant at Market Weighton & 7 constables stationed in the various villages around
Cemetery,  West green, John Thomas Sargent, clerk to the burial board, Railway street
Inland Revenue Office, Union street, David Walker
Odd Fellows' Hall, Union street, W. H. Jndson, caretaker
Wilson  Memorial Reference Library, Alexander D. H. Leadman, sec

Volunteers.
2nd   Volunteer   Battalion East   Yorkshire   Regiment    (F Co.), Capt. C. H. W. Wilson, commanding; Angus Fair-weather, lieutenant;  Rev. John Mason M.A. chaplain ; . Surgeon-Captain A.   F.  A.   Fairweather  M.D. medical officer;  William Curry,  sergeant-instructor

Public  Officers.
Assessor of Income Tax, Jonathan Chapman Lee,  Great George street Assistant Overseer &  Collector of Poor's  Rates,   George Henry Gibson, Regent street
Certifying Factory  Surgeon,   Alexander D. H.   Leadman L.K.C.P.  & S.Edin. F.S.A.  Oak house
Clerk to the Magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme Beacon Divisions, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Deputy  Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale,   John  Thomas  Sargent,   Railway  street
Stamp Distributor, John Ashby, Dean's lane Steward  of the  Manors  of Pocklington,   Barmby-on-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Thomas Robson,
Waterloo buildings
Veterinary  Inspector for  Wilton Beacon,   Holme  Beacon Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, James Jebson M.B.C.V.S. Lond.  & Edin

Places of Worship, with times of Services.
All Saints' Church, Rev.  John Mason M.A.  vicar;   Rev. Edward Charles Cree M.A. curate;  10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.;   daily matins,  10.30 a.m SS.Mary & Joseph, Catholic, Rev. John U. Carr, priest;10 a.m. & 6 p.m. ;   daily, 8.30 a.m Congregational, Rev.   Alexander  Parries;   10.30   a.m.   &
6 p.m.;   wed. 7.15 p.m
Primitive   Methodist,   Rev.   Samuel   Stubbing    &   Rev. Thomas Tanfield;   2 & 6 p.m. ;   thurs. 7 p.m
Wesleyan, Rev. John B. James,  Rev. John Vernon Sutton  & Rev.   William James;   10.30   a.m.   &  6   p.m.; tues. 7 p.m

Schools.
The Endowed Grammar School, on West green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cocking bell, belonging to the school, is still reserved:
the. guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. archdeacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for centuries lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514); & when subsequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, appointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Master & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pocklington." Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions:—1, Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tenable for 3 years at St. John's College, Cambridge; 2, the Bishop Crewe exhibition of £40 yearly, tenable for two years at Oxford University & open to boys from the Grammar schools of Daventry & Pocklington; 3, the Worsley augmentation fund, founded by Miss Worsley, of Clifton, for the augmentation of open scholarships obtained by boys on leaving & transferred hither from Daventry school; 4, the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 5, the Ann Watson exhibitions of .£25 each yearly & tenable for 2 years at any university, are similarly open; 6, three County Council scholarships of £60 yearly each, tenaible lot 2 years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at the Yorkshire College, Leeds, Firth College, Sheffield, Owen's College. Manchester, the Royal College of Science, South Kensington, or any other college 'or university approved by the County Council; 7, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific or professional training.
The following are tenable only at the school:—1, Eight local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £7 10s. ; 2, foundation scholarships for boarders, of ,£20 each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, ten house scholarships, five senior & five junior, of £20 each yearly; 4, Worsley augmentation fund, founded & transferred as libove, for increasing scholarships tenable at the school; 5, a limited number of entrance scholarships of £20 each & of exhibitions of £15
The   revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of. the East Riding, & amount to about £1,000 a year. The Rev. T. Shields B.I); who became head master in 1807, succeeded in considerably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A. : in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing board of 12 members. Under the management of the late master, the Rev. Charles Gilrnour Wiikinson M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the school considerably increased in numbers. During 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings have been erected, & there are now (1896) about 140 boys; head master, Rev. Charles Frederick Hutton M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge; .John Lambert Brown, D. T. Picton Davies, Robert Johnson M.A. T. Kirby B.A. C. B. McKee B.A. Edward Caldecot Marsh B.A. Percy M. Stewart B.A. & Leonard Victor Wright B.A, .assistant masters

National   (mixed & infants), New street, erected, with house for the master, in 1854, at a cost of upwards of £1,444, including the value of the site, presented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners & the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe: the school will hold 160 boys & girls & 100 infants, average attendance 130 boys' & girls & 55 infants; Atkinson Skinner, master; Miss Hewlett, infants' mistress

Catholic (mixed), erected in 1877, for 80 children; no's (1896) closed

Wesleyan   (mixed), Chapmangate, erected in 1852, foi 200 children; average attendance, 143 ; Wm. Lamb, master

Newspaper,   " The Pocklington Weekly News," Arnold Rapp, publisher ; published sat

Railway Station, West green, Joseph Pattison, master ;
Coal Depot, Thomas Morrill, agent

Carriers to
Bishop Wilton—Cullan, from 'Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Everingham—Richard  Nicholson, from 'Buck,' sat
Fridaythorpe—Freer, from ' Black Bull,' sat
Full Sutton—Johnson, from Waterloo hotel, sat
Holme—Oxtoby, from Buck inn, sat
Huggate—Brown, from ' Oddfellows' Arms,' sat. ; Francis Stevenson & Dawson, from ' Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Kirby Underdale—Bayston, from ' Three Horse Shoes,' tues
Market Weighton & Goodmanham—Clark,from ' Buck,' sat
Melbourne—Thomas Kidd, from ' New Red Lion,' sat Millington—George Johnson,   from   ' Black   Swan,'   sat; Thompson, ' Three Horse Shoes,' daily
Nunburnholme—Brown,  from ' Black Bull,' sat. ;   Freer, from ' Oddfellows' Arms,' sat.; Harrison, from Feathers hotel, sat
Seaton Ross—Chapman, from ' Black Bull,' sat Thomson—Wm. Hesselwood, from 'New Red Lion,' sat
Warter—William Slater, from ' Black Bull,' sat. ; Holmes,
from    * B'aek   Bull,'    sat.;    Francis   Puckering,   from ‘Black Swan,' sat
York—John Addison, from   his house   in Union,   street, sat. ;  Thomas Lister Chapmangate, sat

POCKLINGTON.

PRIVATE   RESIDENTS.
Barlow George Edward, Chapmangate
Batley Thomas Abbey,  North view
Baylis  Mrs.  Avenue houses
Beal Miss, Market street
Bloomer Boaz, Dewsberry house
Bloomer Mrs. Dewsberry house
Brown John Lambert (assistant master of Grammar school), St. John's Iodge
Boyden John Augustus Chas.Percy rd
Cains Mrs. Chapmangate
Caris Miss, Chapmangate
Carr Rev. John U. (Catholic),Union st
Cattle Henry,   Chapmangate
Cattle James, West green
Coverdale   John,   Wilberforce  house
Cree Rev.  Edwd. Chas. M.A. (curate of All  Saints), New street
Curtis Mrs. Sherbutt house
Davies D. T. Picton (assistant master of Grammar school), Brass Castle hl
Dixon John, Brunswick house
English Richard Massey, Percy road
Everingham John Thos. Stamford vils
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.A., M.D.,  C.M. Faircote  house
Fairweather Angus M.B., C.M.   Fair-cote house
Farries    Rev.    Alexander    (Congregational), Chapmangate
Finch William, The Grove
Forth Charles,  St. Helen's gate
Foster Mrs. Great George street
Fourby John Cambidge, The Grove
Fowler Thomas, Percy road
Gilyead James William, Gt. George st
Grant Thos.J.P.The Terrace, Union st
Heselton Benj.  Bank ho. Market place
Holmes Robert Edwd.   Chapmangate
Horsley Miss, Market street
Hutton Rev.  Charles Fk.  M.A. (principal), Grammar school
Jackson Mrs.   Chapmangate
Jackson Mrs.  Regent street
James Rev.   John B.(Wes.),Chapmngt
James Rev. Wm. (Wes.), Prospect pl
Jennings Mrs. The Grove
Johnson Robert M.A. (assistant master of Grammar school), Brass Castle hill
Judson Mrs. Bloomsbury house
Kelsey Miss, Great George street
Kirby Thos. B.A. (assistant master of Grammar school), Grammar school
Leadman Alexander Dionysius Hobson F.S.A. Oak house
McKee C.  B., B.A.  (assistant master of Grammar school), Grammar schl
Marsh Edward Caldecot (assistant master of Grammar   school), Wilberforce lodge
Mason Rev. John M.A.  The Vicarage
Morgantroy William, Brass Castle hill
Ottley Arthur George, Union street
Powell Henry Sydney, Regent street
Powell William, The Elms
Richardson George Fredk.  The Briars
Richardson Mrs.   Chapmangate
Richardson Mrs. C.   A. Myrtle grove
Robson Thomas, Pembroke lodge
Robson Wm. Jackson, Prospect house
Sargent John Thomas, Avenue houses
Scaife George, Neswick villa
Scott Mrs. Railway street
Seller Mrs. Market place
Shooter Miss, Great George street
Singleton Miss,  Brunswick place
Singleton  Mrs. Teresa cottage
Smith Mrs. Chapmangate
Smithson Edward, Percy road
Steels Miss, Market place
Stephenson Mrs. Chapmangate
Stewart Mrs. Percy road
Stewart Percy M.,B.A. (assistant master of Grammar school), Brass Castle hill Stubbins Rev. Samuel (PrimitiveMethodist), Percy road
Summerson Alfred, Oakdene house
Suinmerson Dawson, Oakdene house
Sutton Rev. John Vernon (Wesleyan), Chapmangate
Swallow Richd. Shadrack, Percy road
Tanfield Rev.Thomas (PrimitiveMethodist), Percy road
Thirsk James, Percy road
Thompson John, The Grove
Tinson Mrs. Chapmangate
Wilberfoss George B. Market place
Wright Leonard Victor B.A, (assistant master of  Grammar  school)-  Brass Castle hill Young Robt. Richmond, Ghapmangate

COMMERCIAL

Adamson Thomas Henry, grocer, Great George street
Addison John, carrier,. Union street
Allison Charles Henry, hairdresser, Market place
Ashby  John, ale & porter merchant, high bailiff to  the county  court   &   registrar   of  marriages,   stamp   distributor & postmaster, Dean's lane
Bailey Charles, dentist;  attends on sat. at Miss Horsley's, Market street
Barker George Henry, shopkeeper,   Chapmangate
Barker John Hawksworth, fishmonger, Market street
Barlow George Edward, chemist & deputy superintendent registrar, Market place
Barnby Jemima (Miss), pianoforte teacher, Chapmairgate
Barnes George, farmer, Toft house
Baxter  John, tailor, Market street
Beal Richard, butcher & farmer, Peters square
Beckett & Co. York & East Riding Bank (branch,) (George B.   Wilberfoss,  manager),   Market  street;    open  daily 10 to 3, wed. 10 to i, sat. 10 to 6 ; draw on Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. London
Bentley Jn. Edwd. fellmngr. & Old Red Lion P.H.Regent st
Berriman Anthony, cattle dealer & farmer, Percy house
Bloomer Marian & Kate (Misses),   private school, Dewsberry house, Union street. Boulton Robert, horse breaker, New street
Boyden: John Augustus Charles, chemist & wine & spirit merchant, Market place
Brabiner William, greengrocer, New pavement
Brigham George, chemist & wine & spirit mer. Market pl
Brook John Edmondson, plumber, New pavement
Browne Harold Frank, cycle agent, Market place
Browne Thomas, grocer, & china & glass dealr. Market pl
Burkitt William,  baker, Market place
Buttle Charles, butcher & shopkeeper, Union street
Cains Hy. Parkin, miller (steam & water), Devonshire mill
Capelin William Albert,   deputy   registrar of marriages, Post office, Dean's lane
Cattle & Co. brewers & spirit merchants, Chapmangate Cemetery  (John  Thomas  Sargent,   clerk   to   the. Burial board), West green
Christian Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, London street
Coal Depot (Thomas Morrill, agent), Railway station
Conmy Arthur, shopkeeper, Market street
Conyers John & Son, gun 'makers, Market street
Cook William, baker & flour dealer, Regent street
Cotton Richard,  watch maker,  Market place
Coulson Hall, butcher, New street
Crofton  George, Waterloo hotel
Cross Hannah (Mrs.), apartments, Brass Castle street
Crusher Mary (Mrs.), hosier & glover,  Market street
Cundall Robert  & Co. chemists,   grocers,  mineral water manufacturers, wine,  spirit, beer & seed merchants & manufacturers   of   bone  manures,   sheep   dips,   cattle medicines & auctioneers & valuers, Market street
Darbyshire James Henry, pork butcher, Great George st
Dixon Christopher,   farmer,   Grange
Dunn Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, Union street
Easton James, blacksmith, Church lane
Easton John, saddle & harness maker, Market place
Ellis Mark, wheelwright, St.   Helen's gate
Endowed Grammar School (Rev. Charles F. Hutton M.A. head master), West green
English Jane (Mrs.), wine & spirit mer. Brass Castle hill
English Bichard Massey, auctioneer & miller, Percy road
Everingham John Thomas,  tailor, Railway street Everingham Margaret (Miss), dress maker
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.A., M.D.,   C.M. physician, medical officer & public vaccinator, No.   2 district,   Pocklington  union, & medical officer   to the urban & rural district councils & workhouse, Faircote ho
Fairweather Angus M.B., C.M.Aberd. surgeon, Faircote ho
Faulkner George Edward, plumber, New pavement
Fawcett Thomas, corn merchant, Market st. & Union st
Fielder John, joiner,  London  street
Finch William, plumber, Union street
Forth   William & Charles,   printers,   bookbinders, booksellers, stationers, music sellers, news agents, & athletic & fancy goods depot, Market place
Foster John Allen, boot maker, Market place
Foster William,  cowkeeper, Balk
Foster William, tailors' agent, Chapmangate
Fowler Mark, registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington  sub-district &' relieving   officer for   the union  & school attendance & inquiry officer, Chapmangate
Fowler Thomas,  deputy registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district, Market street
Fowler Thomas, draper, Market place
Gautry Frank,  fent dealer, Great George street
Gibson & Co.  sack contractors,  Regent street
Gibson George Henry, ironmonger & tinner, house, land & estate & insurance agent, assistant overseer & poor rate collector & inspector, surveyor   & collector to the urban district council, Regent street
Gill Bartholomew,  shopkeeper, Market street
Gill Benjamin, coal dealer, Market street
Gilson John Thomas, jun. sewing machine agt. Church la
Gilson William, watch, maker, Market place
Glaisby John, Three Horse Shoes P.H.  Market street
Grant Thomas,   builder,   Station yard;   cabinet  maker, Waterloo  buildings;   timber merchant &  dealer in all kinds   of  building  materials   &  china  &   glass   warehouse, Union street
Gray Richard, saddler, Peter's square
Gray William, tailor, Railway street
Greig George, Buck hotel, Market place
Hagyard Annie  (Mrs.),  confectioner,  Market place
Hagyard John Thomas, grocer & draper, Market place
Harper Thomas, fishmonger, Regent street
Harrison & Co. agricultural implement mas. Gt. George st
Harrison Peter, bid poster, Union street
Hatfield James,  shopkeeper &  agent for the Pearl Life Assurance Co. Limited, New pavement
Heselton  Benjamin,   manager   to   York   Union   Bank   & treasurer to the union & rural district council,Market pl
Higlett  Elizabeth  (Mrs.),   confectioner, Market place
Higlett John William, boot & shoe dealer, Market place
Holmes John, insurance agent, Union street
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr farm
Hotham Jemima (Mrs.), boot maker,  Market place
Hotham Charles, butcher, New Pavement
Howdenshire   Chronicle,   Pocklington   Weekly   News   & Market Weighton Advertiser (Arnold Rapp, publisher)
Inland Revenue Office (David Walker), Union street
Jameson William, tailor, Market street
Jarvis John,  Odd   Fellows'   Arms   P.H.   Union street  & butcher, Market street Jebson James M.R.C.V.S.   Lond.   & Edin. veterinary surgeon   &   veterinary  inspector   for   Wilton  Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent divisions Johnson Ada. (Miss), dress makeir, Great George street
Johnson Ann (Mrs.), Railway inn, Railway street
Johnson  Francis,   Black   Swan P.H.   rope,   twine   &  net maker, Market place
Johnson George, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Johnson Henry, boot maker, Union street
Johnson John, boot maker, Smithy hill
Johnson William Turner, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Judson Annie (Mrs.), grocer, Market place
Judson William Henry, cabinet maker, Market street
Kehne Charles, boot maker, Chapmangate
Kendall Henry, joiner, 'Cross Keys P.H. Market street
Kendall John, Star hill, Market place
Knapman R. J. district surveyor to urban, district council
Laister Joseph & Son, rope & twine makers, Market place & New street
Lamb John & Son, painters & paperhangers, Railway st
Lamb John T. professor of music, Railway street
Leadman Alexander Dionysius Hobson L.R.C.P.& S.Edin. F.S.A.  surgeon &; medical officer  & public vaccinator No.  1  district, Pocklington union & certifying factory surgeon, Oak house
Lee   Jonathan  Chapman,   grocer,   confectioner   &  china warehouse, Market place & superintendent -registrar & assessor of income tax, Great George street
Lister John, cab proprietor, Great George street
Lister Richard, bricklayer, Union street
Lister Robert Jackson, hair dresser, New pavement
Lister Thomas, carrier, Chapmangate
Little  J.   W.   dentist;    attends   alternate   Saturdays   at
Frank Gautry's, Great George street
Lockwood Benjamin, chimney sweeper, Black Swan yard
Lodge William, farmer, River head Lundy & Son, watch makers, Railway street Magee John, fishmonger, River head
Manners Christopher, saddler & harness maker & wholesale collar maker; general stock kept, New pavement
Moor Joseph, blacksmith & implement maker, Dean's lane
Morrill Thomas, coal agent, Railway station
Morris Henry,  grocer,  Chapmangate
Mulroney Edward, registered lodging house, London st
Nelson John George & Sons, shoe makers, Market place
Newsome Jonathan, assurance agent, Great George street
Nicholls Charles, boarding & commercial academy, Sherbutt House school
Nicholls E. (Mrs.), young ladies' school, Sherbutt house Oddfellows' Hall (W. H. Judson, caretaker), Union street
Ottley Arthur George, hatter & hosier, Market place
Padgett & Bead, seedsmen &c. Great George street
Pattison Joseph,  station master, Railway station
Pocklington Aerated Water Co. Lim.   (George Brigham managing director), Peter's square
Pocklington  Choral .& Orchestral Society   (Arnold Rapp hon. sec)
Pocklington Conservative Club  (J. Eoyston Booth, sec.),,   ' Eailway street
Pocklington Cricket Club  (Thomas Joy, hon.  sec)
Pocklington & District Agricultural  Club  (R.  Richmond
Young,  hon.  sec) Pocklington Floral & Horticultural Society (George Henry.
Gibson, hon. sec)
Pocklington Horse & Foal Show(Richd.M.English,hon.sec)
Pocklington Lawn Tennis Club (William Lamb,  sec)
Pocklington Liberal Club (John A. O. Boyden, hon. sec.), Union street
Pocklington  Literary   Society   (Alexander   D.   H.   Leadman F.S.A. sec) Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H. S. Powell, sec.);, office, Regent street;   works, West green
Pocklington Water Works  Co. Limited (Mr.  Broomhead, of Beverley,  sec.), Chapel hill
Pocklington Weekly News (Arnold Rapp, publisher; published every Saturday)
Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor & sec. to the New Gas Co. Limited, Regent street
Public Weighing Machine (B. Gill, proprietor), Market st
Procter  Christopher,  grocer,  Market place
Proctor William Henry, milliner, Market street
Rapp  Arnold, printer  &   stationer,   " Pocklington Weekly News "  office
Rawlings John, superintendent of police, Great George st.
Rhodes Eliza (Mrs.), seed dealer, New street
Rhodes Elizabeth (Mrs.), butcher,  Union street
Rhodes John Thomas, painter,  Market street
Rhodes Richard, nurseryman, Mile end
Richardson Daniel, agricultural implement ma. Regent st
Richardson George Frederick, draper, Market place
Richardson John & William, monumental masons, New str
Robson John, coach builder, Union street
Robson  Thomas,   solicitor,   &  commissioner for oaths  & perpetual   commissioner,    clerk   to   the   guardians   & assessment   &   school   attendance   committees   of   the Pocklington union,  clerk to the Pocklington rural district council, to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme Beacon divisions,  & to the governors  of the Pocklington Grammar school, steward of the manor of Pocklington,  of Barmby-upon-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, & agent for the Sun Fire & Life office, Waterloo buildings
Robson William Jackson, grocer & draper, Market place
Russell John, confectioner, Tute hill
Russell Richard, wood turner,  Great George street
Sargent John Thomas, solicitor & commissioner for oaths-& perpetual commissioner,   registrar of  county  court, clerk & registrar of burial board & deputy steward of the manors of Millington with Little Givendale, Railway street
Scaife & Son, china & earthenware dealers, Market place
Scaife Francis, house painter & paperhanger, Waterloo pl
Scaife Ralph Johnson, auctioneer & valuer, Market place
Scaife Thomas, cab proprietor, Chapmangate
Shaw Jane (Mrs.),  shopkeeper, New street
Sheridan Robert Henry, hawker, Grey plain
Silburn Henry, butcher, Market street
Simpson Alfred, New Red Lion P.H. New pavement
Simpson James, common lodging house, Dean's lane
Simpson Thomas, farmer,  Clayfield
Simpson Tom, cowkeeper, Great George street
Singer Manufacturing Co. (Fred Moyser, agt.), Union st
Skinn Henry, timber dealer,  Chapmangate
Smith W. H. & Son, news agents, Railway station
Smith    Annie    Elizabeth    (Mrs.),    paperhanging   dealer, Great George street Smith Marian & Anne Elizabeth  (Misses),  confectioners,Market place
Smith Ellen (Mrs.),  shopkeeper, New pavement
Smith Frederick, butcher & farmer, Great George street
Smith John, cowkeeper, Bridge street
Sowerby James, monumental mason, New street
Sowersby Job, fried fish dealer, Market street
Sowersby Rachel (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, Chapmangate
Spink Thomas Greave, tinman & gasfitter, Market place
Spink   Thomas   Greave,   jun.   general   furnishing   ironmonger, Market street Spivey Ralph, gas manager, West green
Stather Bros, general drapers, Market place
Staveley A. H. (Mrs.), dress maker, Regent street.
Stavely Harriett (Mrs.), dress maker, Regent street
Stead &  Simpson Limited, boot makers,  Market street & Chapmangate
Steel Frederick, butcher, Church lane
Steel Joseph, game dealer. Great George street
Steel Wm. Gordon, bricklayer & builder, Great George st
Steels George, wood carver & taxidermist, London street
Steels William, currier & leather cutter, Chapmangate, & grocer, Market place
Stephenson Ellen W.  (Miss), fancy repository, Market st
Stephenson Frances (Mrs.), draper, Market street
Stephenson Thomas Nelson, grocer, Market street
Stewart George, horse dealer, South Moor house
Stubbs John, joiner & -wheelwright, New street
Summerson Alfred, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the urban district council, & agent for the Norwich  Union  Fire  Insurance   Society  &  Standard   Life Assurance Co. Railway street
Tanfield William Thomas, watch maker, Percy road
Tayleure Arthur Pearson, Black Bull P.H. Market place
Tayleure Michael, photographer,  Railway street
Thirsk James &  Son, millers   (steam &  water), Anglo-Hungarian flour mills, West green
Thomas Henry, farmer & cattle dealer, Great George st
Thomas Robert, butcher, Waterloo buildings
Thompson Benjamin,  grocer, Chapmangate
Thompson James, milk seller, Chapmangate
Thompson William, hair dresser & tobacconist, Market pl
Tinson Robert Richardson,  bricklayer,  Great George st
Tinson William, bricklayer,  Brass Castle hill
Todd George & Son, drapers,  Market place
Todd George, grocer, New pavement
Todd  Henry,   blacksmith,   London   street
Todd John, plumber, glazier & gasfitter, Great George st
Todd Robert, cowkeeper, Great George street
Turner A. (Miss), dress maker, 2 York ter. Gt. George st
Turner Louise Kate (Mrs.), farmer, Mile farm
Vincent John, farmer, Toft house
Volunteer Battalion and East Yorkshire Eegiment (F Company) (Capt. C. H. W. Wilson, commanding; William Curry, sergeant-instructor
Waits John,  cabinet maker, Regent street
Walker Clement, brick maker, Burnby lane
Walker David, inland revenue officer,  Union street
Watson Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Tuke hill
Welldon George,  greengrocer,   Chapmangate
Wilberfoss George B. manager of Beckett & Co.'s York ST. East Riding Bank, Market street
Wilkinson Henry, general dealer, Market street
Wilkinson John, Wellington Oak inn, River head
Wilson Joseph, joiner,   Chapmangate
Wilson James, tailor, Market place
Wilson Joseph, butcher, New pavement
Wilson Mark, coal dealer, Chapmangate
Wilson Memorial Reference Library (Alex. D. H. Lead-man, sec)
Wilson William, insurance agent, Ohapmangate
Wreggitt William, butcher & Royal Oak P.H.Gt.George st
Wright Watson,  wheelwright,  Union street
York Union Banking Co. Lim. (blanch) (Benjamin Heselton, manager) ;  open daily 10 to 3, weds. 10 to 1. sats, 10 to 6, Market place;  draw oil Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. London E C
Yorkshire Penny Bank (branch) (Edwin Judson, actuary);. open sat. 4 to 5 p.m. New street
Young & Co. brewers & wine & spirit mers. Chapmangate

OUSTHORPE.
Hewson Goe. Legard, farmer, Mill frm
Hardy Robert, cattle dealer & farmer

YAPHAM.
Beckett James Robertson
Petch William Dixon,  Smilett hall

COMMERCIAL
Baines George, farmer
Barker George, farm bailiff to William Dixon Petch esq
Bowers —, farmer
Brigham Richard, farmer, Rowland hill
Campling Samuel, shopkeeper
Crow David, farmer
Jebson Jas. jun. farmer,Yapham grng
Johnson Robert, farmer
Matthews John, farmer
Petch William Dixon, farmer & landowner, Smilett hall
Stewart John, farmer
Ward John, farmer
Wilson Alfred, miller (wind)

MELTONBY
English Thomas, farmer
Hardy George,   farmer
Harrison Thomas, farmer
Houslay John, farmer
Johnson William Turner, farmer
Nicholson John, farmer
Pearson Charles, farmer
Rickell William, farmer
Rooks Lyth, shopkeeper
Smith Richard, farmer