PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
> 2017 AGM
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  29th Jun Barmby Moor Evening Walk

> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1909 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

P O C K L I N G T O N,
YAPHAM AND MELTONBY AND OUSETHORPE.
INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union town, and the head of a county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway, 198 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6½ north-west from Market Weighton. 27 north­west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) .from Scarborough, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the Wapentake of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional division, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry of the East Biding and diocese of York.
Under the provision of the " Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted under the " Public Health Act, 1875," by Local Government Board Order
-No. 29,872, dated July ist, 1893.
On Oct. ist, 1901, by Local Government Board Order No. 42,567, part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.
The town is lighted with gas from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8.000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works 1 mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a consider­able stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells, but traces of the Norman church still exist: there are eleven stained windows: the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy ; and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: the font consists of a square basin of fos­silized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594; and a third to Robert Denison esq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, c. 1360, discovered in the churchyard : on the pedestal is a modern inscription, in Latin, which translated reads:— " Here Paulinus preached in the year 627 " in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving in oak of "the Crucifixion," executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved: close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwald, last prioress of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss : the church was partially restored and reseated in 1830; in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced, and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected, at a cost of £1,150:the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, so constituted in 1252, with the chapelry of Yapharn and Meltonby annexed, net yearly value £212, including 29a. 1r. 27p. of glebe, with resi­dence, in the gift of the Archtishop of York, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Arthur Thomas Fisher B.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.
The Catholic' church, in Union street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfleld, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse: there are five stained windows, one of which was presented by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk : an organ gallery, the gift of the late Mrs. Thompson, of Pocklington, was erected in 1907 : the church affords sittings for 120 persons, and attached is a residence for the priest.
The Congregational chapel in Chapmangate, erected in 1807, has an endowment of £10 yearly, and will seat 350 persons; there are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The Burial Ground, near the West Green, opened it 1857, contains 4a. 1r, 10p. and has two small chapels, one for the Church of England and the other for Dissenters ; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial board.
The Police Court and Station, erected in 1895-1900, at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magisitrates' room,   a   witnesses'  waiting room,   and a  police station, with residence for the superintendent.
Victoria Hall, in Chapmangate, is let for public meet­ings and lectures, and will hold 450 persons.
The building originally erected in 1880 for the pur­poses of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington, is at present occupied as a private residence. The Wilson Memorial Reference Library was established with part of the funds collected to found the Wilson Memorial Hospital.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about .£150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of the late Queen Victoria.
The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine malting and brick making ; there are agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neighbourhood several corn mills.
The market is held every Saturday. There are four fairs nominally held here annually—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November ; on the 9th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and the auction is held every alternate Monday.
Most of the charities left by Henry Powell (1895), Mrs. Isabella Moor, Mrs. Ann Blackwell (1732), Robert Chapman (1718), Dr. Henry Watkinson, Mr. John Moor, William Westoby, John Seymour and John Cole, are for the time being lost.
About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pockling­ton canal, the property of the North Eastern Railway Co.: the canal, made under the provisions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith,. where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.
Major-Gen. Charles Wilmer Duncombe J.P. of Kilnwick Percy, is lord of the manor and lay rector and principal landowner, and holds a court leet, baron and copyhold court, annually : there are also a large number of small freeholders.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousethorpe. The township and Urban District of Pocklington contains 2,564 acres of land, including 75 acres taken over from Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water ; rateable value, £12,138 ; the population in 1891 was 2,577, and in 1901 was 2,554, including 5 officers and 58 inmates in the workhouse, and in the ecclesiastical parish 2,686.

OUSETHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ miles north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rect­angular moated enclosure.' The rectorial tithe rent-charge, amounting to £52, and the agistment tithe rent-charge of £19, belong to the Ecclesiastical Com­missioners. The vicarial tithe rent-charge of £4 is payable to the vicar of Pocklington. The land is the property of Major-Gen. C. W. Duncombe and Mrs. A. B. Lamb. The area is 333 acres ; rateable value, £413 ; the population in 1901 was 20.
Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, arrive at 8.30 a.m. There is no Letter Box. The postman takes the letters about 11 a.m. Pocklington, a mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and atownship, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pock­lington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and restored about 1904, at a cost of £400, and has 100 sittings. The great or rectorial tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and under an instrument of apportionment, dated 12 June, 1844, a sum of £204 18s. 9d. has been assigned to the benefice of Pocklington, and the rest retained by the Commissioners towards the payment of a curate. The glebe land here amounts to 29a. 1r. 27 perches, and £10 a year, given by a former dean of York, also belongs to the benefice. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Charity Commissioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. W. D. Fetch esq. of Smylet Hall, and Mrs. F. Pearson, of Pocklington, are the principal land­owners : 33. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole ; 4s. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand ; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from, the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,888 ; rateable value, £2,342; the popula­tion in 1901 was 203.
Parish Clerk, George Edward Faulkner.
Letters are delivered at Yapham at 9.45 a.m. & collected by the postman at 2.45 p.m. Pocklington, 2½ miles distant, is the nearest telegraph & money order office.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. 0. & T. Office, Railway street.—David Simpson, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.15 a.m. & 3.25 & 5.40 p.m. ; delivery commences at 8 a.m. & 3.40 & 6 p.m.; dispatched at 10.35 a-m-& i, 5 & 8.10 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.; Sundays, ai'rive 7 a.m. delivery commences 8 a.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

Calverley-Rudstone Trevor Wheler esq. D.L. Allerthorpe hall, Pocklington, chairman
Wood Hon. Edward Frederick Lindley-, Garrowby Hall, York
Bardwell Thomas Newman Frederick esq. M.A.      S.C.L., D.L. Bolton hall, Wilberfoss, York
Cliff Walter esq. Melbourne hall, York
Duncombe Major-Gren. Charles Wilmer, Kilnwiek Percy, Pocklington, York
Harrison William Mountain esq. Burton fields, Stamford Bridge, York
Herbert   Edward   Arthur    Field   Whittell   esq.   Upper Helmsley hall, York
Morris Rev. Marmaduke Charles Frederick B.C.L.  The Rectory, Nunburnholme, York
Smith Frederick esq. Red house, Pocklington
Wright Fredk. esq. Derwent Hill, Stamford Bridge.York
The Chairmen, for the time being, of  the Pocklington Urban & Rural District Councils, are ex-officio magistrates Clerk to the Magistrates,  Thomas  Robson,  Waterloo buildings
Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month (except October), at 10 a.m. In addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners in custody
The following places are included in the petty sessional division :—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Cation. Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby, Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton. Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-curn-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.


Meeting day, 1st Friday each month 7 p.m. October to April & 8 p.m. May to September, at Clerk's offices, Railway street.
Chairman, Thomas Read.
Retire in April, 1909.
James William Laister, Thomas Spruce Thirsk, Christopher Procter
Retire in April, 1910.
Henry Sydney Powell, Robert Todd, Frederick Smith
Retire in April, 1911.
John Thomas Eyeringham, Henry Thomas, Thomas Read
Officers.
Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Railway street
Treasurer, Tom S. Suddaby, Beckett & Co.'s Bank
Medical Officer  of Health,   Alex.   Ferrier  Angus   Fair-weather M.B., C.M.Aberd. Faircote house
Sanitary Inspector, Surveyor  & Rate  Collector,  Joseph Butterworth, Chapmangate

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Meets at the  Guardians'  Board room fortnightly,  on
mondays,   at 2.30 p.m.
Chairman, J. T. Elgey, Kilnwick Percy
Clerk, Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Treasurer, Wm.  I. Allison, Barclay & Company's Bank
Medical   Officer   of   Health,   Alexander   Ferrier   Angus Fan-weather M.B.,   C.M.Aberd.   Faircote house,  Pock­lington
Sanitary   Inspectors & Surveyors, J. R. Greenshaw, Warter & Geo. W.Mitchell, Prospect place, Pocklington

POCKLINGTON UNION.

Board day, every alternate monday, at the Board room, at 1.30 p.m.
Pocklington union comprises the following places:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, Catton (High), Catton (Low), Cliffe (North), Cliffe (South), Cottingwith (Bast), Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaytborpe, Full Sutton, Givendale (Great)-with Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwiok Percy, Kirby Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough-wj.th-Easthorpe, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newtom-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Saoic-ton-with-Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Hoss, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge (East), Storwood, Suttan-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe-le-Street, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe. The area of the union is 110,638 acres.; rateable value at Michaelmas, 1908, £116,237; the population in 1891 was 14,579, and in 1901 was 13,709.
Chairman   of the Board of Guardians, J. T. Elgey, Kilnwick Percy
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thos. Robson, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington
Treasurer, William Illingworth Allison, Barclay & Com­pany's Bank
Believing   & Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor for the Union, Walter Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators :—Pocklington No. 1 district, Perceval Thomas Rutherford L.R.C.P. & S. Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas. Oak house, Pocklington; No. 2 district, Alex. Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.B., C.M. Aberd. Faircote house, Pocklington ; Stamford Bridge district, William Henry Bush L.M.S.S.A. Long Lands, Stamford Bridge; Market Weighton, No. i district, Richard Hamilton Ashwin M.D. Market Weighton; No. 2 district, Richard Hamilton Asbwin M.D. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, George Ogg Gauld M.B., Cb.B. Bank house, Elvington, near York ; Huggate district, Seth Tinsley L.F.P. & S.Glas. Wetwang, York
The Union Workhouse, situated on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in 1852, at a cost of £1,6o8, on a site purchased for £360, it was enlarged in 1896, at a cost of .£6,237, & will bold 113 inmates; in 1878 a hospital was added, for 30 patients ; Joseph Sargeant, master; Rev. Arthur T. Fisher B.A. hon. chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angfus Fairweather M.B., C.M. medical officer; Mrs. Fannie Marie Sar­geant, matron
Superintendent  Registrar, Jonathan Chapman Lee, Great George street, Pocklington; deputy, Walter Barlow, Market place, Pocklington
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district, Walter Stnbbs, Union street, Pocklington ; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Union street, Pocklington; East Stam­ford Bridge sub-district, Robert Martin Butcher, Fang­foss, York; deputy, Richd. Beetham, Fangfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, James F. Roantree, High street, Market Weighton ; deputy, Miss Roantree, Market Weighton
Registrar of Marriages, Fred Lee, Market place, Pock­lington ; deputy, Thomas Scaife. Ebor house, Pock­lington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Burial Ground, West green, Alfred Summerson, clerk, Railway street
County Court; office, Railway street; office hours, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on Wednesdays, when it is closed at 1 p.m.; His Honor Cyril Dodd K.C. judge; John Thomas Sargent, registrar & high bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magis­trates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allertborpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton. Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, 'Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby & Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Donald Sween Mackay, Red house, Duncombe place, York, official receiver ; F. Murgatroyd,48 West-borough, Scarborough, assistant official receiver
Certified Bailiffs appointed under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act," Richard Massey English, Market street; Ralph Johnson Scadfe, Market place; John Joseph Kempley & Samuel Sharp, Market Weighton
County   Police Office, Great George street; William Stephenson, superintendent, one sergeant & one con­stable ; also one inspector, one sergeant & one con­stable at Market Weighton & 9 constables stationed in the various villages around
Fire Brigade, Christopher Procter, captain, Railway st
Inland Revenue Office, Sherbutt house, Yapham react, Francis William Gray
Victoria Hall, Chapmangate. W. & C. Forth, lessees
Wilson Memorial Reference Library, John A. C. Boyden sec

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

5th Battalion, Alexandra,Princess of Wales's Own (York­shire Regiment) (Detachment of A Co..), attached to Market Weighton, Capt. G. J. Scott, commanding

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Assessors  of Income Tax, William Francis Hill, Chap­mangate & Thomas Scaife, Ebor house
Assistant  Overseer & Collector of Poor's Rates, Joseph Butterworth, Chapmangate
Certifying Factory Surgeon,
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale, John Thomas Sargent, Railway street
Stamp Distributor, David Simpson, Railway street
Steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Thomas Bobson, solicitor, Waterloo buildings
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, R. J. Hicks, Market Weighton
PLACES   OF WORSHIP, with times of  Services. All   Saints'   Church,   Rev.   Arthur   Thomas  Fisher B.l.
vicar ;  Rev.  Alfred Ramsden,  curate ;  8 & 10.30 a.m.
& 6.30 p.m. ;   diaily at 8.30 a.hi SS   Mary & Joseph (Catholic),Rev. Gabriel Ryan, priest;
10 a.m. & 6 p.m.;   daily, 8 a.m Congregational, Rev. Alexander Farries;   10.30 a.m. & 6
p.m. ;   wed. 7.15 p.m Primitive Methodist, Rev. David Rogers, superintendent
& Rev. John Tom Bell;   10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; thurs,
7.30 p.m Wesleyan   Methodist,   Rev.   John   Havelock   Thompson,
superintendent ;    Rev.   Ralph   Bradley   &   Rev.   Leger
Clough ;   10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ;  tues. 7 p.m

SCHOOLS.

The   Endowed Grammar School, on West green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cock­ing bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved: the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. arch­deacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for cen­turies lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514) ; & when sub­sequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master S Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, ap­pointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Master & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pocklington. Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions:—i, Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tenable for 4 vears at St. John's College, Cambridge ; 2. the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly & tenable for 4 years at any university, are similarly open; 4, three County Council scholarships of  £60 yearly each, tenable for 2 years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at the Leeds University, Leeds, Firth College, Sheffield, Owens College, Man­chester, the Royal College of Science, South Kensing­ton, or any other college or university approved by the County Council; 5, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific oir professional training
The following are tenable only at the school:—i, Eight local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of £7 10s. ; 2, foundation scholarships for boarders, of £20 each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, ten house scholarships, five senior & five junior, of £20 each yearly; 4, a limited number of entrance scholar­ships at £,20 each & of exhibitions of £15
The  revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amount to about £800 a year. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, succeeded in consider­ably augmenting the income of the .school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's -house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A. : in 1875 the Endowed Schools Com­missioners completely re-organized the management of t'he schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing body of 12 members, since increased to 14; T. N. F. Bardwell D.L., J.P. chairman. During 1890-91, a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addition of a new wing, at the cost of about £6,000 ; there are now (1909) two boarding houses, & about 55 boys; head master, Rev. Charles Frederick Button M.A. 'of St. John's College, Cambridge ; F. B. Welch B.A. Otto Glanert B.A. William Jones Thomas M.A. Basil N.Chadwick B.A.& John Lambert Bown A.B.D.S. assistant masters

Public Elementary Schools.

County Council, opened in February, 1908, built at a cost of about £3,000, for 250 scholars, including infants; average attendance, 2113 ; William Lamb, master
Church   of England, New street (mixed & infants), erected, with house for the master, in 1854, at a cost of upwards of £1,444, including the value of the site, presented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners & the
late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe : the school will hold 128 boys & girls & 80 infants; average attendance, 108 boys & girls & 55 infants ; Atkinson Skinner, master ; Miss McConkey, infants' mistress
Catholic (mixed), erected in 1877, for 65 children ; aver­age attendance, 34 ; Mrs. E. E. Stagno & Miss Leahy, mistresses

NEWSPAPER.

The   Pocklington Weekly News, John Whitehead, pub­lisher ; published sat
Railway Station, West green, John Britton, master Coal Depot, Thomas Morrill, agent

CARRIERS to: Barmby-on-the-Moor—Septimus    Allison,    from    ' Black Bull,' sat
Bishop Wilton—William Foster &; John Richmond, every alternate   mon.   &   Thomas   Hardwick,   from   ' Three
Horse Shoes,' sat
Bishop   Wilton—William   Wales   &   Harry   Bank,   from ' The Feathers,' daily
Buckthorpe—Daniel,    from   the   'Three   Horse   Shoes,' every alternate mon
Everingham—Richard Nicholson,  from  'Buck,' sat
Full   Sutton—George   William   Johnson,   from   Waterloo hotel, sat. & every alternate mon
Goodmanham—Wilson, from the ' Black Swan,' sat
Holme-on-Spalding   Moor—Robinson,   from   the   ' Black Bull,' on sat
Huggate—Cooper, from 'Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Huggate—Fell, from the ' Old Red Lion,' sat
Kirby   Underdale—William  Bayston,  from   ' Three Horse Shoes,' mon
Market Weighton & Goodmanham—Wilson,from ' Buck,' sat
Melbourne—George Gorwood, from ' Black Bull,' sat
Millington—John B.   Oxtoby, from ' Black Swan,' sat. ; William Thompson, ' Three Horse Shoes,' daily
Nunburnholme—Tom  Freer,   from   ' Oddfellows'  Arms,' sat
Seaton Ross—William Chapman, from ' Black Bull,' sat
Thornton—William Hesselwood, from ' Black Bull,' sat
Warter—Robert Stephenson, from  ' Buck,' sat. ;   William Slater, from ' Black Bull,' sat. ;   Samuel Holmes, from
' Black Bull,' sat York—John Addison, from his house in London st. sat

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
.
Barlow Mrs. Percy road
Batley Mrs. North view
Baxter John, Budstone house
Baylis Mrs. Chapmangate
Beal John James, Percy road
Bell Misses,  Market street
Bell    Rev.     John    Tom     (Primitive Methodist),  The Balk
Bloomer Misses, Dewsbury house Booth Sam, Prospect place
Bown John Lambert A.R.D.S. (assist­ant master Grammar school), York view
Boyden John Augustus Chas.Percy rd
Bradley     Rev.      Ralph      (Wesleyan Methodist), Chapmangate
Brigham John, South moor house
Bryant Charles Henry, 5 York view
Cattle Henry Ward, Chapmangate
Cattle James, West green
Cattle William W. York view
Chadwick Basil   N.,   B.A.   (assistant .   master Grammar school)
Clough Rev. Leger (Wesleyan Metho­dist), Percy road
Cooper Robert L.B.C.P. 10 York view
Curtis Mrs. Sherbutt house
Day John, New street
Duggleby Thomas, Burnby lane
English Miss, Union street
English Richard Massey, Lyndhurst
English Thomas, Mile farm
Everingham Jn. Thos. Stamford villa
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.B., C.M. Faircote house
Farrell Mrs. Percy road
Fairies   Rev.   Alexander    (Congrega­tional), Chapmangate
Fisher   Rev.    Arthur    Thomas   B.A.(vicar), The Vicarage
Forth Charles, New street
Foster Mrs. Great George street
Fourby Mrs. The Grove
Fowler Geo.Hy. The Briars,Burnby la
Fowler Mark, Derwent ho.Chapmangt
Fowler Thomas, Percy road
Garden Miss, Myrtle gro.Chapmangte
Gaudry Frank, The Grove
Gilson Reginald Thomas, Burnby la
Gilyead James William, New street
Glauert Otto B.A. (assistant master),
Grammar school
Grant T. The Terrace, Union street
Harrison Mansfield, The Balk
Hutton Rev. Charles Frederick M.A. (principal), Grammar school
Jackson Mrs. Ebenezer ho. Regent st
Jebson Mrs.3 Boyes ter.Chapmangate
Jebson William Henry, Wilton house
Jennings Mrs. Chapmangate Kelsey Miss, Great George street
Laister John William, The Grove
Lamb Miss, Bainton villa
Lee John, Percy road
MacCartney Rev. T. C. Percy road
Mackintosh Alexander, Market place
Melrose Walter, Bank ho.  Market pl
Palmer Mrs. 2 York view
Pearson Frederick, Percy road
Powell Henry Sydney, Regent street
Precious Mrs. Burnby lane
Ramsden Rev.Alfd.(curate),Burnby la
Richardson Mrs.  Myrtle grove
Robson Thomas, Pembroke lodge
Robson Wm. Jackson, Pi'ospect house

COMMERCIAL.

Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m.

Addison John, carrier, London street
Allison J. & Son, builders & contractors, builders' mer­chants, decorators, joiners, plumbers, painters & paperhangers, Regent street
Anderson William David, laundry, The Balk
Appleby Alfred, marine store dealer, Union street
Askham Walter, New Red Lion P.H. New pavement
Atkinson Hannah (Mrs.), apartments, Union street
Bailey  Charles,   artificial   teeth   manufacturer;   attends on Saturday, Market street
Baldwin & Dale, grocers, Market street
Barclay & Company Ltd. (branch) (Walter Melrose, man­ager) ;  open daily 10 to 3, weds. 10 to i, sats.  10 to 5,   Market  place;   draw  on  head  office,   54  Lombard street, London E C
Barker Geo. Hy. boot maker & shopkpr. Chapmangate
Barlow  Walter,  chemist  & druggist &  deputy superin­tendent registrar,  Market   place
Barnes George, farmer, Toft house
Baxter John, tailor, Market street
Beckett & Co. York & East Riding Bank .(branch) (Tom S.    Suddaby,   manager),   Market   place;    open   daily 10 to  3',  wed.   10 to  i,  sat.   10 to 5 ;   draw  on Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. London E C
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house
Bentley John Edward, fellmonger, & Old Red Lion P.H. Regent street
Bergman   Lewis   Hansell,   dentist   (first   &   third   sat.), Great George street
Bielby Walker, boot maker, Great George street
Bloomer Kate  & Louise  (Misses), private school, Dewsbury house,   Union street
Booth  Joe Royston, registration agent & sec. to the Howdenshire Conservative & Unionist Association, 6 York view
Bown J. L.  (Mrs.), private school, 7 York view
Boyden John Augustus Charles, chemist & wine & spirit merchant, Market place
Brabiner William, greengrocer, New pavement
Braithwaite William, boot maker, South parade
Brigham   George,   chemist   &  wine  &   spirit   merchant, Market place & mineral water manufactr. Peter's sq
Brigham   John   M.B.C.V.S.   veterinary   surgeon,   South Moor  house
Britton & Salton, confectioners, Railway street
Britton John, .station master, Railway statn. West grn
Brook  John Edmondson,  plumber, .glazier & painter  & hot & cold water fitter, New pavement
Broumpton John Ullyott, farmer. Clayfield farm
Browne Harriott (Mrs.), grocer, Market place
Burdett George, grocer, Chapmangate
Burial Ground (Alfred Summerson, clerk), West green
Burkitt William, baker, Market place
Butcher Emanuel, Waterloo hotel, Waterloo lane
Butterworth Joseph, sanitary inspector,   surveyor & rate collector to the Urban District Council & assistant over­seer, Chapmangate
Buttle Herbert Ullathorne, music tchr. Mile End house
Buttle Mary (Mrs.), butcher & shopkeeper, Union street Cains Francis George, solicitors' clerk .& assistant bailiff
of County court, Prospect house, Riverhead
Cains Hy. Parkin, miller (oil & water), Devonshire mill
Castle George Edward, police sergeant, Great George st
Cattle R.  & Co.   brewers &  spirit  rners.   Chapmangate
Cook John, builder, Regent street
Cook William, baker & flour dealer, Regent street
Cooper   Robert   L.E.C.P.,   L.B.C.S.Edin.,   L.F.P.S.Glas. physician & .surgeon,  10 York view
Coulson Hall, butcher, New street
County Court  (John Thomas Sargent, registrar & high bailiff) ;   office, Railway .street
Creaser Francis, Railway inn, Railway street
Cundall Robert $5 Co. chemists & manufacturers of bone man'ures,   sheep   dips   &   cattle   medicines,   pickle   & sauce manufacturers & wine & spirit & ale & porter merchants, Market street
Curtis Annie (Mrs.), farmer,  Sherbutt house
Dale Tom, grocer, see Baldwin & Dale
Dale William James, pork butcher, Market street
Day Ethel & Florence (Misses), scb'ml, New street
Douthwaite Isabella (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Chapmangate
Dunn Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, Union street
Dunn Peter, The Feathers P.H. Market place
Dunwell James (trustees of), brick makers, Burnby lane
Eastmans Limited, butchers. Market place
Easton James, blacksmith, Church lane
Easton John, saddle & harness maker, Market place
Eastwood Robert, carter, Chapmangate
Endowed Grammar School (Rev. Charles F. Button M.A. head master;   for assistant masters see p. 573), West green
English B.  M.   &   Son,   auctioneers  &  valuers,  millers, corn, seed, wool & manure merchants. Market street; &  at  Market  Weighton;   attend   markets   at  Leeds; York ;  Wakefield ;  Driffield & Hull
Everingham John Thomas, tailor, Railway street
Fairweather & Rutherford, Faircote house & Oak house
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.B., C.:M.Aberd. physician   (firm,  Fairweather  & Rutherford), medical officer & public vaccinator, No. 2 district, Pocklington union,   &  medical  officer of health, to the Urban & Rural District Councils & medical officer to the work­house & Post office, Faircote house
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, Union street
Fielder John, joiner,  London  street
Forth William  &   Charles,  printers, bookbinders, book­sellers, stationers,music sellers, news agents, & athletic & fancy goods depot, advertising agents & billposters, Market place
Foster Harry, farmer, Burnby lane
Foster John Allen, boot maker, Market place
Foster William, cowkeeper, Manor house
Fowler George Henry, draper, Market place
Gautry Frank, draper, Market place
Gilson John Thomas, watch maker, Market street
Gilson William, watch maker, Market place
Glaisby John, Three Horse Shoes P.H. Market street
Grant Thomas, builder, Union street & Station yard
Gray Francis William,  inland revenue officer, Sherbutt house, Yapham roads
Gray Richard, saddler, Peter's square
Gray William, tailor, Railway street
Green Charles, school attendance officer, 6 Richmond ter
Greig John George, Buck hotel, Market place
Hagyard Annie (Mrs.), confectioner, Market place
Hardy Robert, cattle dealer, Great George street
Harrison & Co. agricultural engineers & implement mas. Great George  street
Harrison Mary (Mrs-), common lodging house, Dean's la
Hatfield James,  shopkeeper & agent for the Pearl Life Assurance Co. Limited, New pavement
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, Market place
Highmoor James W.commission agent & poultry farmer,. 3 York view
Higlett Elizabeth (Mrs.), confectioner, Market place
Hill   William   Francis,   cycle   agent,   New   pavement & assessor of income tax, Chapmangate
Hind  Frederick  Hugh  Griffiths,  painter  &  sign writer. New pavement
Horsley Mary Kate (Miss), fancy draper, Market street
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr farm
Hotham Charles, butcher, New pavement
Hotham Harry, boot maker, Market street
Howdenshire   Chronicle,   Pocklington   Weekly   News   &Market Weighton   Advertiser   (John  Whitehead, pub­lisher ;   published sat) Howdenshire   Conservative   -&   Unionist   Association  (J. Boyston Booth, sec.), 6 York view
Inland Revenue Office (Francis William Gray), Sherbutt house, Yapham road
Jameson William, tailor, Market street
Jarvis Ellen M.   (Mrs.), butcher, & Odd Fellows' Arms. P.H. Union street
Jebson William Henry, veterinary surgeon.,Wilton house  &  at Bishop  Wilton
Johnson Emma (Miss), Black Swan P.H. Market place
Johnson Fred, rope & twine &; net maker, New street
Johnson George, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Johnson Herbert, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Johnson James, fruiterer &c.  Great George street
Johnson William Turner, farmer, Great George street
Jones Elizabeth (Miss), dress malter, Market .street
Jowett Hanson, ironmonger, Regent street
Judson Harold Thompson, grocer, .Market place
Kendall Henry, joiner, Cross Keys P.H. Market street
Laister Joseph & Son, rope & twine makers, Market pl. & New street
Laister Wilfred, ladies' & gent's outfitter, Market place
Lamb Harry, painter. & paperhanger, Market street
Lamb John T. professor of music, Bainton villa
Lamb Thomas J. joiner, New pavement & Church lane
Laughton William, farmer, Union .street
Law Annie  (Mrs.),   shopkeeper,  Market place
Law Joseph Edwin, boot maker, Market place
Lawson William Rickel, shopkeeper, Alma terrace
Lee  Fred, cycle  agent, tobacconist & registrar of mar­riages, Market place
Lee   Jonathan   Chapman,   confectioner,  .Market place & superintendent registrar,  Great George street
Lewis Mary Louisa (Mrs.), girls' school, -8 York view
Lister John,  cab proprietor, Great George street
Lister Robert Jackson, hair dresser, New pavement
Lockwood Benjamin, chimney sweeper, Waterloo square
Lundy & Son, watch makers, Railway street
Manners Brothers,  cabinet makers,  Great George street
Manners Christr. saddler & harness ma. New pavement
Maries Daniel, fried fish dealer, Chapmanaate
Melrose Walter, manager -of Barclay & Company Bank, Market place
Meynell Brothers, grocers, Market place
Mitchell George W. surveyor, & sanitary inspector to the Pocklington   Rural   District   Council,   No.   2   district, Prospect place
Moody Edward, joiner & wheelwright, London street
Moor George, fishmonger, New pavement
Moor Joseph, jun. blacksmith, Dean's lane
Moor Joseph J. traveller & agent, York terrace
Morrill Thomas, coal agent, .Railway station
Morris Henry, grocer, Chapmangate
Nelson Hannah (Mrs.), shoe maker, Market place
Newbold Robert W. farmer, Canal head
Newsome Mary (Mrs.), assurance agent, Gt. George st
Nicholson John, farmer, Northfield Farm house
North  Eastern   Railway  Coal   Depot   (Thomas   Morrill, agent), Railway station
Oldfield James, wheelwright,  Great George street
Pearson Thomas, farmer, Northfield
Piercy Etherington, tailor,  Brunswick place
Pocklington Conservative Club (J.  Royston Booth, sec.), Railway street
Pocklington Cycle Club (W. Coupland, .sec) Pocklington & District Agricultural Club (R. Richmond Young, hon. sec)
Pocklington & District Choral & Orchestral  Society  (J. W. Edeson. hon.  sec)
Pocklington   &   District   Co-operative   Society   Limited (James Wood, manager), grocers, Waterloo lane
Pocklington Fancier Society (J. Easton, sec)
Pocklington    Floral   &    Horticultural    Society    (Alfred Summerson, sec)
Pocklington   Horse   &   Foal   Show   (Thomas   S.   Thirsk, hon. sec)
Pocklington Lawn Tennis Club (T. S. Suddaby, hon. sec)
Pocklington   Liberal   Club   (Joseph   Butterworth,   hon. sec.), Chapmangate
Pocklington Literary Society (John A. C. Boyden, sec)
Pocklington Miniature Rifle  Club  (W.   Coupland,  sec.), Market place
Pocklington New Cycle & 'Motor Co. Regent street
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H. S. Powell, sec.) ; office, Regent street;   works, West green
Pocklington Water Works Co.   Lim.   (H. B.  Bropmhead, of Beverley, sec.), Chapel hill
Pocklington   Wednesday   Cricket   Club   (J.   White'head, hon   sec)
Pocklington Wednesday Football Club (E.Browne,hon.sec)
Pocklington Weekly News   (John Whitehead, publisher; published  every   Saturday)
Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor, commissioner for oaths, & sec. to the New Gas Co. Limited & clerk to Market Weighton Drainage Trustees & deputy steward far the manor of Fridaythorpe, Regent street
Procter Christopher, grocer, Market place
Procter William Henry, draper, Market street
Public Weighing Machine  (R.  M.  English & Son, pro­prietors), Market street
Read Thomas, seedsman, Union street
Rhodes Eliza (Mrs.), seed dealer, New street
Richardson John & Wm. monumental masons, New st
Richardson Danl.  agricultural implement ma. Regent st
Robson John, coach builder & cycle agent, Union  street
Robson Thomas,  solicitor,  &  commissioner for oaths  & perpetual   commissioner,    clerk   to   the   guardians   & assessment committee of the  Pocklington union, clerk to  the  Pocklington   Rural   District   Council,   to   the magistrates  of   the   Wilton   Beacon   &  Holme  Beacon divisions, & to the governors of the Pocklington Gram­mar school,  steward of the manor of Pocklington,  of Barmby-upon-the-Moor   &   Allerthorpe-with-Wapling-ton, & agent for the Sun Fire & Life office, Waterloo buildings
Rodgers William, fried fish shop, Market street Russell Ann  (Mrs.),  basket  &  woodware   dealer,   Great George street
Russell John, confectioner, Tute hill
Rutherford Perceval Thomas L.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.Edin. & L.F.P.& S.Glas.physician (firm, Fair-weather & Ruther­ford), medical officer & public vaccinator No.   1dis­trict, Pocklington union, Oak house
Salton Ethel (Miss),-confectioner, see Britton & .Salton
Sargeant Joseph, workhouse master, Burnby lane
Sargent John Thomas, solicitor & commissioner for oaths & perpetual commissioner, registrar & high bailiff of county court & deputy steward of the manor of Millington with Little Givendale, Railway street
Scaife & Son, auctioneers & valuers, Ebor house & china. & earthenware dealers, Market place
Scaife Harold, cycle agent & tobacconist, Market place
Scaife Thomas, cab proprietor,  Chapmangate
Scaife Thomas, Liberal agent for the Howdenshire divi­sion, deputy registrar of marriages, assessor of income tax & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank, Ebor ho
Shaw Jane (Mrs.),  shopkeeper, New street
Sherbourne Robert, butcher, Peter's square
Silburn   Henry,   butcher   &   farmer,   white   gravel   pit owner & white gravel & sand merchant, Market st
Simpson  David,   stamp  distributor  &  postmaster,  Railway street
Simpson James, farmer, The Grange
Slight Frank, photographer, Railway street
Smith Jane E. & Annie E. {Misses), confectioners, Great George street
Smith W. H.  & Son, news agents, Railway station
Smith Daniel, cattle dealer, 2 Richmond terrace
Smith Ellen (Mrs.), greengrocer, New pavement
Smith Frederick J.P. farmer, Red house
Smith John, cowkeeper, Bridge street
Sowerby James, monumental mason, Regent street
Spink   Ada   (Mrs.),   general   furnishing   ironmonger   & tinner, Market street
Spivey Ralph, gas manager, West green
Spivey William Henry, pork butcher, Market street
Stather   Charles,   draper,   milliner   &   sewing   machine agent, Market place
Staveley George, hair dresser, Regent street
Staveley Harriett (Mrs.), dress maker, Regent street
Stead & Simpson Limited, boot makers, Market place
Steel Frederick, butcher, Church lane
Steel Joseph, game dealer, Great George street
Steel Joseph, jun. bricklayer & builder, Great George st
Steels   William &  Son,   grocers  & provision  merchants,. Market place
Steels   George,   cabinet   maker,   taxidermist   &   general dealer, London street
Steels William, leather cutter & grinder, Chapmangate
Stephenson   Ellen   W.    (Miss),   baby   linen   warehouse, Market street
Stephenson Thomas Nelson, grocer, Market street
Stephenson William, police supt. Great George street
Stubbs John, joiner & wheelwright, New street
Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district,   Union street
Stubbs Walter, registrar of births & deaths for Pockling­ton  sub-district  &  relieving   &  vaccination  officer for the union & collector for the guardians, Union -street
Suddaby Tom  S.   manager  of the York & East Riding Bank,   Market   place
Summerson Alfred, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to  the   Urban  District   Council & to  the  burial board,  & agent for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society & Standard Life Assurance Co. Railway street
Tayleure Susan (Mrs.), Black Bull P.H. Market place
Territorial Force,  5th Battalion,  Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own. Yorkshire Regiment  (A  Co.),  attached to Market Weighton Theakston  Anne   (Mrs.),   apartments,   Providence  place, Great George street
Thirsk & Sons, millers (steam & water), corn, cake & seed merchants, Anglo-Hungarian flour mills, West green ; & at Nafferton ; Beverley ; York; Driffield & Bridlington. See advertisement
Thomas Henry, farmer & cattle dealer, Great George st
Thompson James, milk seller, Chapmangate
Thorpe  George,  tailor & insurance agt.   Gt.  George st
Tinson Frederick Richardson, shopkeeper, Gt.  George st
Tinson Robert Richardson, bricklayer, Great George st
Tinson William,  builder.  Brass  Castle hill  8;  hardware dealer, Union street
Todd George & Son, drapers, Market place
Todd & Son,  tailors &  outfitters, Market place
Todd Geo. grocer & provision merchant, New pavement
Todd   John,   plumper,   glazier   &   gasfitter,   hot   &   cold water fitter & painter, Great George street
Todd Robert, cowkeeper, Great George street
Towse Benjamin R. common lodging house. Union street
Turner Charles, tailor & outfitter, Market place
Turner John, Royal  Oak P.H.   Great George street Victoria Hall (W.  & C. Forth, lessees), Chapmangate
Waite James, carpenter, Alma terrace
Waite John, cabinet maker, Regent street
Ward Thomas, carter, Chapmangate
Wardale James Parkinson, insurance agent, 7 York ter
Watson David E. Wellington, Oak inn, Canal head
Whitehead   John,    stationer,    printer    &    publisher   of the   " Pocklington   Weekly   News"   &   " Howdenshire Chronicle," Market place .& music warehouse. Union st
Wilson Joseph, butcher. New pavement
Wilson Joseph. joiner, Chapmangate
Wilson Memorial Reference Library (John A. C. Boyden, sec)
Wilson William, insurance agent, 4 Kirkland street
Winter Rowland, butcher, Waterloo lane
Wood Joseph, Star inn, Market place
Wright Watson, joiner & wheelwright, Union street
Yorkshire Penny Bank (branch! (Thos. Scaife, actuary); open sat. 3.45 to 4.45 p.m. New street
Young & Co. brewers & wine & spirit mers. Chapmangate

OUSETHORPE.

Allinson John, farmer
Hardy Robert, cattle dealer & farmer
Hewson Geo. Legard, frmr. Mill farm

YAPHAM.

Ogle George Henry
Petch William Dixon, Smylett hall

COMMERCIAL.
Brigham Robert, farmer, Rowland hi
Jebson James, farmer & miller (wind), Yapham grange
Johnson John, shopkeeper
Legard Joseph, farmer
Matthews John, farmer
Nicholls John, farmer & potato mer­chant, Westfield farm
Pearson Henry, farmer
Fetch William Dixon, farmer & land­owner, Smylett hall
Smith Bobert, farmer
Smith William, farm bailiff to Win. Dixon Petch esq
Stephenson Francis, farmer
Stewart John, farmer, The Hall

MELTONBY.

Askwith William, assistant overseer for Yapham-with-Meltonby & Bishop Wilton
Bielby Matthew,   cowkeeper
Drury Thomas, farmer
Houslay John, farmer
Huxtable John, farmer
Keeble Benjamin, cowkeeper
Nicholson John, farmer
Oxtoby  Thomas,   farmer
Pearson John Edward, farmer
Toder Edward H. The Grange